It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:57 am

Gadgets 7.6.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 5.5.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

prisoner881 wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:09 pm I'd like to try completely removing all references to AddGadgets and do a clean install but I don't know where all the various Addgagdet files live. Removing the skins folder doesn't apparently remove everything because, upon re-installing, my customizations (like choosing Fahrenheit instead of Celsius) were preserved.
All the Gadgets live under a single folder, following the standard Rainmeter convention. To do a clean delete, just delete the entire C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Gadgets folder. Refresh Rainmeter after deleting.

To resolve your issue, follow raiguard's instructions; he is correct, your perfmon database is corrupted. (Note that a corrupted perfmon database will break any Rainmeter skin that uses the UsageMonitor plugin; this isn't just a Gadgets issue.) If you have any additional problems, please don't hesitate to ask on the forum here.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
philumax

Post by philumax »

Hello. :welcome:
good to know, all that!
thank you!
see you.🙂
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

prisoner881 wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:09 pm Reinstalling is the first thing I tried. Didn't work.
Reinstalling the skins (not just this, any of them) almost never helps.
prisoner881

Post by prisoner881 »

SilverAzide wrote: October 15th, 2020, 2:41 am All the Gadgets live under a single folder, following the standard Rainmeter convention. To do a clean delete, just delete the entire C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Gadgets folder. Refresh Rainmeter after deleting.

To resolve your issue, follow raiguard's instructions; he is correct, your perfmon database is corrupted. (Note that a corrupted perfmon database will break any Rainmeter skin that uses the UsageMonitor plugin; this isn't just a Gadgets issue.) If you have any additional problems, please don't hesitate to ask on the forum here.
Followed raiguard's instructions and that did the trick! Thank you both!

While I have your attention, I'd like to offer a suggested enhancement. I recently moved from Intel to AMD. As you know, Intel CPU's report per-core temps, whereas AMD's have a single temp for the whole CPU package. With AMD, I have two choices, both with downsides. Either I forego showing temps entirely or I have a bunch of per-core temps that either don't work (with the default setup) or I edit the config so they all show the same temp (which is needlessly redundant).

Would it be possible to have a single temp displayed for CPU's that don't offer per-core temp sensors? Something that displays by itself, perhaps near the top of the CPU meter? It would clean things up in the CPU monitor display a bit.

Anyway, not a big deal if you can't. I absolutely love Gadgets and can't conceive of not having it. Thank you again for all your efforts!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

prisoner881 wrote: October 15th, 2020, 4:54 pm While I have your attention, I'd like to offer a suggested enhancement. I recently moved from Intel to AMD. As you know, Intel CPU's report per-core temps, whereas AMD's have a single temp for the whole CPU package. With AMD, I have two choices, both with downsides. Either I forego showing temps entirely or I have a bunch of per-core temps that either don't work (with the default setup) or I edit the config so they all show the same temp (which is needlessly redundant).

Would it be possible to have a single temp displayed for CPU's that don't offer per-core temp sensors? Something that displays by itself, perhaps near the top of the CPU meter? It would clean things up in the CPU monitor display a bit.

Anyway, not a big deal if you can't. I absolutely love Gadgets and can't conceive of not having it. Thank you again for all your efforts!
Yes, sure, I've gotten that request number of times. I've got it as an issue on my GitHub repo. I'm thinking about adding that as an option to the next version of the Gadgets. It's a little bit of a challenge for me because I don't have a AMD machine to test with, but I think I should be able to come up with something.
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

SilverAzide wrote: October 15th, 2020, 8:06 pm Yes, sure, I've gotten that request number of times. I've got it as an issue on my GitHub repo. I'm thinking about adding that as an option to the next version of the Gadgets. It's a little bit of a challenge for me because I don't have a AMD machine to test with, but I think I should be able to come up with something.
I actually have an AMD machine now, if you want a tester. I switched from Intel to AMD back in March.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

raiguard wrote: October 16th, 2020, 2:01 am I actually have an AMD machine now, if you want a tester. I switched from Intel to AMD back in March.
Oh, awesome! I'll be sure to ping you when I'm ready. Thanks for the offer!!! :thumbup:
Yvese

Post by Yvese »

1USMUS made an app for Ryzen that displays per-CCX temps ( scroll down for screenshots ). I think he utilizes Ryzen Master to read temps.

Not sure how doable it is since you don't have an AMD machine to easily test it but just wanted to let you know someone has found a way to accurately display Ryzen temps. His app only works for Zen 2 but that's for OCing. I don't think reading temps is restricted to just Zen 2 but then again I have no idea how any of this works lol.
redorbroder

Post by redorbroder »

Hello SilverAzide!

I hope all is well with you.
Some days ago my bought license for Win7 Pro got revoked by M$!! WTF!
Then they launched a popup hell... and my theme was changed to black wallpaper and a white text down right corner saying the same!
Called M$ support and the person said Win7 is no longer supported, fine I said, I know that but I want to continue use Win7.
That's not possible she says!! You have to use Win10... I'm shocked by the way they forced me!
F*** it sounds almost like they broke some law doing that?

Anyway... what to do, I installed Win10!! Arghh!
So here I am some days later, lots of issues to be solved, getting settings as I like them.
Gadgets are back! YAY! I just love them! :D
Only problem I have is with the Network Meter.
It is stuck "Configuring" and I can't understand what's wrong.
My Ethernet Interface shows up but it won't stick.
Also installed NetMonitor service but no cigar...
Another issue is that I can't access anything through the config settings by clicking on the wrench.
The Network Meter settings open but I can't change anything in there?
This is the same with every Gadgets, it's not possible to change anyting, it just won't respond.

If you have the time I'd really appreciate any help on this.
Thanks and best regards,

redorbroder
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

redorbroder wrote: October 26th, 2020, 4:34 pm Hello SilverAzide!

I hope all is well with you.
Some days ago my bought license for Win7 Pro got revoked by M$!! WTF!
Then they launched a popup hell... and my theme was changed to black wallpaper and a white text down right corner saying the same!
Called M$ support and the person said Win7 is no longer supported, fine I said, I know that but I want to continue use Win7.
That's not possible she says!! You have to use Win10... I'm shocked by the way they forced me!
F*** it sounds almost like they broke some law doing that?

Anyway... what to do, I installed Win10!! Arghh!
So here I am some days later, lots of issues to be solved, getting settings as I like them.
Gadgets are back! YAY! I just love them! :D
Only problem I have is with the Network Meter.
It is stuck "Configuring" and I can't understand what's wrong.
My Ethernet Interface shows up but it won't stick.
Also installed NetMonitor service but no cigar...
Another issue is that I can't access anything through the config settings by clicking on the wrench.
The Network Meter settings open but I can't change anything in there?
This is the same with every Gadgets, it's not possible to change anyting, it just won't respond.

If you have the time I'd really appreciate any help on this.
Thanks and best regards,

redorbroder
Oh no! Sorry to hear you are having issues. Welcome to the world of Windows 10, LOL.... :D

It sounds like your problem is a common one that happened to many people when they upgraded to Windows 10. The problem that sometimes happens when upgrading is that your Documents folder loses some or all permissions, and you can't write to the folders. You can read, but not write. This is why skins will open, but any changes can't be saved. This is also why the Network Settings is stuck at "configuring" as well. You can test this by trying to create or edit a file in the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Gadgets folder. For example, right-click any skin and select Edit. Make a "fake change" to the file (e.g., add a space and remove it) and save the file. If you get a save error, this is a permissions issue and the cause of your problem.

First, try jsmorley's advice here: Rainmeter and Windows security.

If that doesn't work, you can try to explicitly grant yourself full control of all files and folders in your user folder. To do this, open Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer, but the file manager app) and navigate to the C:\Users folder. Right-click your user folder (the one with your username) and select Properties. On the Properties dialog, select the Security tab, and click the Advanced button. On the Advanced Settings window, on the Permissions tab, you'll see every account with permissions. Normally, this will be "SYSTEM", "Administrators", and your user account.

If your user account is missing from the permission entries list, click the Add button. Then:
  • Click the "select a principal" line and add your user account.
  • For the "type", select "Allow".
  • For "Applies to", select "This folder, subfolders, and files".
  • Click "Show advanced permissions" and select everything.
  • Click Ok.
If your user account is present in the permission entries list, select your account then click Edit.
  • For the "type", select "Allow".
  • For "Applies to", select "This folder, subfolders, and files".
  • Click "Show advanced permissions" and select everything.
  • Click Ok.
Finally, this is the important part: check the box "Replace all child object permissions..." and click the Apply button.

I don't know if the Home edition of Windows has all this stuff, but this is the way to do it with the Enterprise edition.

At some point (later, after you have the permissions fixed), open a Powershell prompt. Just do it one time, because sometimes you are asked if you want to allow Powershell to run. If so, allow it to run, then close the window. You don't have to do anything else... this is just to get Windows to know you want this to be allowed.