It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:18 pm

Monitoring going in, and out?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
piercedfreak

Monitoring going in, and out?

Post by piercedfreak »

My rainmeter seems to go in, and out, like this. It is getting information from Open Hardware Monitor. If I start up a game everything but the cpu load goes out until I exit the game. OHM still reads, when rainmeter drops out. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Monitoring going in, and out?

Post by Yincognito »

piercedfreak wrote: October 13th, 2020, 4:38 pm My rainmeter seems to go in, and out, like this. It is getting information from Open Hardware Monitor. If I start up a game everything but the cpu load goes out until I exit the game. OHM still reads, when rainmeter drops out. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Not happening for me (MSI Afterburner and the code below used):

Code: Select all

[Variables]

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

---Measures---

[MeasureCPUUsage]
Measure=CPU
Processor=0
MinValue=0
MaxValue=100

[MeasureGPUTemp]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=MSIAfterburner.dll
GPU=0
SourceId=0
MinValue=0
MaxValue=100

---Meters---

[MeterBackground]
Meter=Image
W=220
H=80
SolidColor=150,150,150,255

[MeterLine]
Meter=Line
MeasureName=MeasureCPUUsage
MeasureName2=MeasureGPUTemp
X=5
Y=5
W=210
H=70
LineCount=2
LineColor=140,252,124,255
LineColor2=254,211,122,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,255
AutoScale=0
AntiAlias=1
Preview:
CPU Usage vs GPU Temp - Lines.jpg
Tried 3 games, and high CPU usages - all went fine. Maybe posting your code or even better attaching or linking to your full skin package would help...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
piercedfreak

Post by piercedfreak »

Yincognito wrote: October 14th, 2020, 12:08 pm Not happening for me (MSI Afterburner and the code below used):

Code: Select all

[Variables]

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

---Measures---

[MeasureCPUUsage]
Measure=CPU
Processor=0
MinValue=0
MaxValue=100

[MeasureGPUTemp]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=MSIAfterburner.dll
GPU=0
SourceId=0
MinValue=0
MaxValue=100

---Meters---

[MeterBackground]
Meter=Image
W=220
H=80
SolidColor=150,150,150,255

[MeterLine]
Meter=Line
MeasureName=MeasureCPUUsage
MeasureName2=MeasureGPUTemp
X=5
Y=5
W=210
H=70
LineCount=2
LineColor=140,252,124,255
LineColor2=254,211,122,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,255
AutoScale=0
AntiAlias=1
Preview:
CPU Usage vs GPU Temp - Lines.jpg
Tried 3 games, and high CPU usages - all went fine. Maybe posting your code or even better attaching or linking to your full skin package would help...
I am using this https://www.deviantart.com/devilrev/art/SimpleGraph-Monitoring-597178712 skin
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

piercedfreak wrote: October 14th, 2020, 1:29 pm I am using this https://www.deviantart.com/devilrev/art/SimpleGraph-Monitoring-597178712 skin
Yeah, again, no problems encountered (other than a couple of Rainmeter crashes until I figured out how to make it work, LOL):
SimpleGraph OHM - Lines.jpg
That being said, both the skins and the plugin look a bit amateurish to me, since they need extra steps to make it all work (plus the things at the end of my post).

So, for the skins, I modified it like so (make sure you replace the values of the CPUName and GPUName variables with your own in all skins but the RAM.ini one):
SimpleGraph_1.0.1.rmskin

For the plugin, apart from the skin installer automatically copying it in the right locations, copying the OpenHardwareMonitorLib.dll in the Rainmeter installation folder (probably C:\Program Files\Rainmeter) and running Rainmeter as an Administrator are required steps in order for the whole process to work and not crash Rainmeter, as explained here. Obviously, such steps are not exactly recommended, as you can see from the replies in the thread I linked to, but they do make getting the data from the plugin work, and this was the question / topic, after all.

Some other issues, as far as I could notice, are that the CPU clock ([CPUMHz] measure from CPU.ini), GPU clock ([GPULoadMHz] from GPU.ini) and RAM used amount ([MeasureRAMUsed] from RAM.ini) - basically all the bottom left corner values in each skin - don't display the correct data. I'm not sure why, since I don't use and I have no idea what's wrong in the measure options of the plugin, but maybe contacting the author of the plugin (available in the link I posted above) might clear that up for you. Another option, in the case of CPU clock and the used RAM amount would be to use the Registry measure to get the CPU frequency from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0\~MHz in the registry, or to use the Memory measures to get the amount of used RAM (not sure what the solution for the GPU clock would be though, other than using another hardware info provider and plugin).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piercedfreak

Post by piercedfreak »

After installing yours Rainmeter crashes instantly, even after editing the skin to my CPU/GPU. I am so lost now. All I want is a simple skin to show cpu/gpu load, and temp. Would it matter if I am using a AMD Ryzen cpu?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

piercedfreak wrote: October 14th, 2020, 6:41 pm After installing yours Rainmeter crashes instantly, even after editing the skin to my CPU/GPU. I am so lost now. All I want is a simple skin to show cpu/gpu load, and temp. Would it matter if I am using a AMD Ryzen cpu?
If you're using an AMD CPU maybe it worth trying the AMD plugin. I didn't try it out because I have an Intel processor, but for those using AMD processors, giving a try to this plugin, worth for sure.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

piercedfreak wrote: October 14th, 2020, 6:41 pm After installing yours Rainmeter crashes instantly, even after editing the skin to my CPU/GPU. I am so lost now. All I want is a simple skin to show cpu/gpu load, and temp. Would it matter if I am using a AMD Ryzen cpu?
Well, as I said, it hapened for me too, before making those edits and finding out how to run it and all - which is why I made the changes in the first place. Again, that plugin doesn't seem so stable to me. :confused:

You can easily make your own skin to show those values, but I suggest choosing a stable 3rd party application and plugin to begin with. Some examples are HWiNFO or MSI Afterburner (there might be others too). Balala's suggestion looks good too, although I'm not sure if that plugin (which looks promising indeed) is for AMD CPUs, AMD GPUs or both...
piercedfreak

Post by piercedfreak »

Yincognito wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:29 pm Well, as I said, it hapened for me too, before making those edits and finding out how to run it and all - which is why I made the changes in the first place. Again, that plugin doesn't seem so stable to me. :confused:

You can easily make your own skin to show those values, but I suggest choosing a stable 3rd party application and plugin to begin with. Some examples are HWiNFO or MSI Afterburner (there might be others too). Balala's suggestion looks good too, although I'm not sure if that plugin (which looks promising indeed) is for AMD CPUs, AMD GPUs or both...
Thanks, I guess I will try to learn how to make my own.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

piercedfreak wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:34 pm Thanks, I guess I will try to learn how to make my own.
If you decide to choose MSI Afterburner, let me know, because I can help - and the basic sample I posted initially is a good starting point. HWiNFO is an excellent choice too, I'm just annoyed by the need to enter an ID for the hardware when using it.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

piercedfreak wrote: October 14th, 2020, 6:41 pmAll I want is a simple skin to show cpu/gpu load, and temp.
Here is a starting point for the MSI Afterburner variant - feel free to adjust...

Skin:
CPU-GPU Load-Temp_1.0.0.rmskin
Preview:
CPU-GPU Load-Temp.jpg
For the numerical options in the MSI AB measures (i.e. the ones containing the Plugin=MSIAfterburner.dll line), change the value of the CPU or GPU option to get data for a particular "core" (actually, a logical processor), e.g. CPU=1 or GPU=1. For the string options in MSI AB measures, change the index after the device name to get data for a particular core, e.g. DataSource=CPU1 temperature.

Some references:
- MSI Afterburner + RivaTuner (must be installed and running)
- forum info regarding the plugin (even though the plugin is included in the skin package above, the linked thread contains useful info)

By the way, since you talked about games, while Rainmeter is able to display the skins only when in desktop mode, MSI AB and Riva Tuner (the software itself, not the plugin) has the ability of displaying pretty much the same data (not to mention the FPS) on the screen while you're gaming, assuming some tweaking on its tabs (mainly the monitoring tab and some other things in Riva Tuner Statistics Server):
MSI AB Monitoring.jpg
Example:
MSI AB - RTSS Skin In Games.jpg
Add to that the ability to record videos, capture screenshots and other stuff (including passing data to Rainmeter using the plugin), free of charge, and you have a very interesting proposition.