It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:55 pm

Rainmeter

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter

Post by balala »

Alex88 wrote: September 25th, 2020, 11:26 pm but check that you have hardware acceleration turned on (left click the tray icon > Settings), as it significantly helps with larger skins (large suites, visualizers).
I also doubt enabling / disabling the Hardware Acceleration would cause the described slow down. I still believe a not-visible, background running skin, is the culprit.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

balala wrote: September 26th, 2020, 10:05 am I still believe a not-visible, background running skin, is the culprit.
For the direct problem he mentioned I definitely agree, there is probably another skin that is causing the CPU usage. The other thing I could think of is possibly he changed something in the code of the skin that causes some kind of undesirable loop, but it sounds much more likely that he loaded other skins in the background and is not aware of those. Enabling hardware acceleration is more a tip for after the fact, if he plans to load other skins afterwards, and for most modern systems that have some kind of dedicated GPU I would guess doesn't have a downside to enabling.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Alex88 wrote: September 26th, 2020, 9:30 pm For the direct problem he mentioned I definitely agree, there is probably another skin that is causing the CPU usage. The other thing I could think of is possibly he changed something in the code of the skin that causes some kind of undesirable loop, but it sounds much more likely that he loaded other skins in the background and is not aware of those. Enabling hardware acceleration is more a tip for after the fact, if he plans to load other skins afterwards, and for most modern systems that have some kind of dedicated GPU I would guess doesn't have a downside to enabling.
For sure something like this has happened. No way to get a system slow down due to the mentioned few skins. I'm absolutely positive of this...
The Hardware acceleration is something which worth try out, however I doubt it'll help.
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

I strongly recommend to turn off hardware sloweration, especially when you got a problems with performance.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

deflore08 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 9:46 pm I strongly recommend to turn off hardware sloweration, especially when you got a problems with performance.
For my system at least, hardware acceleration has always decreased my CPU usage and also temperatures in more intensive cases. I tried loading Gadgets, Modern Gadgets, and Rainformer all together with and without acceleration for a few minutes each, and without HW acceleration caused about a 10% increase in Rainmeter's CPU usage, 4% with vs. 14% without, and I think was 33 C with vs. 42 C without, for the temperatures. Maybe if a config is heavily weighted towards measure calculations and/or external IO with plugins, lua, AutoIt/AHK, etc. and not many graphical items, hardware acceleration may not be as useful there, but I would think for most Rainmeter users they aren't heavily invested into that direction. In the end it's an easy option to change to see if it's a help or not for your particular hardware.
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

Alex88 wrote: September 28th, 2020, 4:32 am For my system at least, hardware acceleration has always decreased my CPU usage and also temperatures in more intensive cases. I tried loading Gadgets, Modern Gadgets, and Rainformer all together with and without acceleration for a few minutes each, and without HW acceleration caused about a 10% increase in Rainmeter's CPU usage, 4% with vs. 14% without, and I think was 33 C with vs. 42 C without, for the temperatures. Maybe if a config is heavily weighted towards measure calculations and/or external IO with plugins, lua, AutoIt/AHK, etc. and not many graphical items, hardware acceleration may not be as useful there, but I would think for most Rainmeter users they aren't heavily invested into that direction. In the end it's an easy option to change to see if it's a help or not for your particular hardware.
Lucky. :-( i getting x2-x3 gpu usage and a little less cpu utilization + skin's freezes and input lags in past. It might affect on system so hard in some cases. :confused:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Alex88 wrote: September 28th, 2020, 4:32 am For my system at least, hardware acceleration has always decreased my CPU usage and also temperatures in more intensive cases. I tried loading Gadgets, Modern Gadgets, and Rainformer all together with and without acceleration for a few minutes each, and without HW acceleration caused about a 10% increase in Rainmeter's CPU usage, 4% with vs. 14% without, and I think was 33 C with vs. 42 C without, for the temperatures. Maybe if a config is heavily weighted towards measure calculations and/or external IO with plugins, lua, AutoIt/AHK, etc. and not many graphical items, hardware acceleration may not be as useful there, but I would think for most Rainmeter users they aren't heavily invested into that direction. In the end it's an easy option to change to see if it's a help or not for your particular hardware.
deflore08 wrote: September 28th, 2020, 7:18 am Lucky. :-( i getting x2-x3 gpu usage and a little less cpu utilization + skin's freezes and input lags in past. It might affect on system so hard in some cases. :confused:
Check if the driver of your video card is up to date. I suppose it isn't. I also had similar problems in past, but later I realized the driver is outdated, I updated it and now it works more or less good (well, in fact there also are some minor problems, but I'm using the HA)
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

balala wrote: September 28th, 2020, 8:34 am Check if the driver of your video card is up to date. I suppose it isn't. I also had similar problems in past, but later I realized the driver is outdated, I updated it and now it works more or less good (well, in fact there also are some minor problems, but I'm using the HA)
I tried. The latest nvidia driver installed, same result with previous. No matter which gpu i choose for RM, on intel hd it costs up to 35%, on nvidia (1050ti) up to 45% (by the way in this moments skin does nothing, all updates are stopped). :confused:
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

I'm sure the OP's problem has been answered or mostly addressed by now, but I replied in the other thread.
Magic

Post by Magic »

Hi Guys. I'm quite fresh with these stuff. I installed amatical. Actually everything works and looks great except one thing, that's the clock skin, each hour announces the time and it's too loud. Does anyone know how to change the setting on volume?