It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:22 am

Is It Possible to have 2 Instances of Rainmeter Running Simultaneously?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
CodeCode

Is It Possible to have 2 Instances of Rainmeter Running Simultaneously?

Post by CodeCode »

So, I have not tried to do this, but it came to me I might want to - is it possible?

The reason is I want one instance to run normally, and the second to run a single small skin but in Administrator mode.

Thanks for options or suggestions. :D
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Is It Possible to have 2 Instances of Rainmeter Running Simultaneously?

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: September 26th, 2020, 8:20 am So, I have not tried to do this, but it came to me I might want to - is it possible?

The reason is I want one instance to run normally, and the second to run a single small skin but in Administrator mode.

Thanks for options or suggestions. :D
I would say you can't, normally, but I could be mistaken - maybe other folks know better. Can you share why would you need Administrator mode? Maybe there is an alternative way of achieving your end goal that doesn't involve running two Rainmeter instances...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

dvo wrote: September 26th, 2020, 9:18 am yessss! no problem just rename the folder and use one portable version .... and you ready to rock :lol:
or 2 portable versions as u like :P :D
Ok. I'm gonna do that and update with results.

Yincognito - I use admin mode to launch a game without having to do the UAC click every time. The portable version should be good for that single skin - I hope....
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Yep.

Works fine so far.

Still the test of time (in any case) will tell for certain that this is sustainable.

I installed the portable directly into the C drive, and gave it admin requirement.

Now I am just having a little trouble launching the portable version from the main Rainmeter that will now run without the Admin stuff on its exe.

The long version is if I run Rainmeter without admin req's it starts just fin after either a cold or hot reboot. But with admin on it it always takes two tries for some reason - I loads but is nonfunctional from the tray etc, so I have to kill it in TaskManager then try again, usually it goes on the second try. I attribute that to the large number of skins I am runnin in the main exe all needing to be given admin permissions.

Now I will just go along normally and if the lighter portable exe runs just the one skin, my hope is that it too will start on the first go.

More updates to follow, after this commercial (gaming) break. :p
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

dvo wrote: September 26th, 2020, 10:05 am if you use 2 portable versions you could do it already ... i rewriten it a bit above i already run some times 2 or more :Whistle
I think I have things working the way I had hoped (so far as I can tell rn).

How do I tell the different versions of Rainmeter.exe from the other? I hope this is going to be not insane....
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

dvo wrote: September 26th, 2020, 9:18 am yessss! no problem just use two portable version .... and you ready to rock :lol: you could use one installed and a few porable
the installed version just keep it as is and run a second next to it ...but this time install as portable it would it with the same name
that's why i pref. renaming the second one ...
Excellent suggestion, dvo - didn't thought of that! :thumbup:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: September 26th, 2020, 10:53 amHow do I tell the different versions of Rainmeter.exe from the other? I hope this is going to be not insane....
Well, they are going to be stored in different paths, I suppose, so this is one way of doing it.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Well, scratch everything.

Rainmeter still takes two tries to load - even if not in admin mode.

I have no idea why since no one can recreate the issue, so no help there either (so far).

I going back to the original way - since I have to start rainmeter twice in this way same as the other just the same so - it was a waste of time I'm afraid. :twisted:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: September 26th, 2020, 11:27 am Well, scratch everything.

Rainmeter still takes two tries to load - even if not in admin mode.

I have no idea why since no one can recreate the issue, so no help there either (so far).

I going back to the original way - since I have to start rainmeter twice in this way same as the other just the same so - it was a waste of time I'm afraid. :twisted:
It works for me, both instances of Rainmeter (non admin non portable and admin portable) have to be started just once. Of course, because they are two instances, you'll have to start each one of them (so two executions in total, one execution for each):
Rainmeter - Admin and Regular.jpg
Here you can see my skin suite running at the top of the screen within the non admin non portable Rainmeter instance, while the default Illustro skins (bar the Welcome one) are running at the right of the screen within the admin portable Rainmeter instance. System tray shows both Rainmeter instances, so all good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Yincognito wrote: September 26th, 2020, 11:47 am It works for me, both instances of Rainmeter (non admin non portable and admin portable) have to be started just once. Of course, because they are two instances, you'll have to start each one of them (so two executions in total, one execution for each):
Rainmeter - Admin and Regular.jpg
Here you can see my skin suite running at the top of the screen within the non admin non portable Rainmeter instance, while the default Illustro skins (bar the Welcome one) are running at the right of the screen within the admin portable Rainmeter instance. System tray shows both Rainmeter instances, so all good.
That's great - for you.

For me, the first start up has consistently required two executions before things run normally. Additionally all of the includes are not working since the #@# variables no longer are in the Documents parent, instead they are in the C drive variant portable folder - so I have no idea how to set the path, other than the literal way rather than the #blabla# way.

I am not really worried about this lack of fortunefall, just peeved having to jump through hoops for limited results.