It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:35 am

Weather Skins Not Working

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Weather Skins Not Working

Post by jsmorley »

5T3F4N wrote: September 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm Hey guys, you're much more experienced than me, but I think my old wxdata weather just started working again last night, and it works today as well. Can anyone confirm?

I remember something happened with weather couple months back, but I was too busy to read the forums and everything, so I left it like that, it was just showing the clock, and suddenly yesterday night, all weather icons appeared, temperatures etc.
I resist that this is the case. Any call to the old wxdata URL returns "This service is deprecated as of 01/15/2020" for me.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

5T3F4N wrote: September 10th, 2020, 12:42 pmHey guys, you're much more experienced than me, but I think my old wxdata weather just started working again last night, and it works today as well. Can anyone confirm?

Code: Select all

http://wxdata.weather.com/wxdata/weather/local/UKXX0085:1:UK?cc=*&unit=m&dayf=5
Returns:

This service is deprecated as of 01/15/2020
And:

http://xml.weather.com/weather/local/UKXX0085:1:UK?cc=*&unit=m&dayf=5
Redirects to weather.com's main site.

So, the latter might give the impression that it's working (as long as your weather skin is updated to use the new site), but in reality it's just redirecting from the obsolete wxdata site.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

5T3F4N wrote: September 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm Hey guys, you're much more experienced than me, but I think my old wxdata weather just started working again last night, and it works today as well. Can anyone confirm?

I remember something happened with weather couple months back, but I was too busy to read the forums and everything, so I left it like that, it was just showing the clock, and suddenly yesterday night, all weather icons appeared, temperatures etc.
I join jsmorley and Yincognito. It doesn't work. Just checked it.
Nekayah

Post by Nekayah »

Weather skin has stopped working for me again. Is it a known issue or is the problem on my end?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Nekayah wrote: September 17th, 2020, 8:47 am Weather skin has stopped working for me again. Is it a known issue or is the problem on my end?
For instance jsmorley's Weather.com does work for me right now. Other weather skins I'm using are also working, so there might be something on your end.
For first try restartin Rainmeter. I mean a complete restart: right click its icon in the notification area and click Exit, then restart it from the Start menu. Has the skin started to work, if you did this?
Nekayah

Post by Nekayah »

balala wrote: September 17th, 2020, 11:37 am For first try restartin Rainmeter. I mean a complete restart: right click its icon in the notification area and click Exit, then restart it from the Start menu. Has the skin started to work, if you did this?
Well, I feel really stupid now. It works after I've done that. I could have sworn I tried already, but maybe I'm just frazzled from all the weather problems that I didn't even check. Thank you very much!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Nekayah wrote: September 17th, 2020, 12:18 pm Well, I feel really stupid now. It works after I've done that. I could have sworn I tried already, but maybe I'm just frazzled from all the weather problems that I didn't even check. Thank you very much!
Don't worry, it happens sometimes. Glad you got it working.
Some details about what is causing this: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26117&p=136507&p136507#p136507
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: September 17th, 2020, 2:09 pm Don't worry, it happens sometimes. Glad you got it working.
Some details about what is causing this: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26117&p=136507&p136507#p136507
Exactly. Just for reference, since only half of it is covered by jsmorley's skin (i.e. the API method): both the main site and the API method work well.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, if the site has a momentary hiccup and won't retrieve the data, pretty much the worst thing you can do is just hammer refreshes at the skin. I would always allow 5 or 10 seconds between refreshes to be sure you don't hang WebParser.
Nekayah

Post by Nekayah »

balala wrote: September 17th, 2020, 2:09 pm Don't worry, it happens sometimes. Glad you got it working.
Alright, now I understand the problem a bit better, with the WebParser and refreshing too quickly. Thanks again for being so understanding and patient. I rely on the weather skin for my work, it helps to always be aware of the weather at a glance. When it doesn't work, I break out in hives, it's become such an integral extension of my senses. I'm really grateful that you're doing all this work on it! I even waited a few days just so I wouldn't be a pest by asking too soon, before anyone's had time to address it. And I checked around the forum to see if there were any posts...

Reminds me of internet outage problems. Sometimes you need someone outside your head to remind you "did you try resetting the router" even though that's the first thing you ask when someone else has a problem.