It is currently April 16th, 2024, 4:47 am

Odd display problem

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
peperami97

Odd display problem

Post by peperami97 »

Hi

I have some odd behaviour using the version of rainmeter below.

When Rainmeter is running even with no skins loaded on one of my 3 monitors I get a band on the right hand side of one of my monitors as shown

This prevents apps maximising over the space. However if you restore the app and expand it over the space it will.

This applies to all applications not just chrome.

Quit rainmeter and I can maximise into that space again.

I have tried hardware acceleration on and off.

Rainmeter 4.4.0.3404 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2020-08-25 8:09:50
Commit Hash: a0c762cf
Windows 10 Enterprise 1903 64-bit (build 18362) - English (2057)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Odd display problem

Post by jsmorley »

Seems to me that you must have a setting for DesktopWorkArea defined in your Rainmeter.ini. Right click the icon and select "Edit settings" to check this.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings/rainmeter-section/#DesktopWorkArea
peperami97

Post by peperami97 »

jsmorley wrote: September 8th, 2020, 12:19 pm Seems to me that you must have a setting for DesktopWorkArea defined in your Rainmeter.ini. Right click the icon and select "Edit settings" to check this.

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings/rainmeter-section/#DesktopWorkArea
Thanks for this, I did have them defined although how not sure. So I have removed them from the ini and all is now ok.

Thanks again.

Ben
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

peperami97 wrote: September 8th, 2020, 12:23 pm Thanks for this, I did have them defined although how not sure. So I have removed them from the ini and all is now ok.

Thanks again.

Ben
Glad to help.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

While I would consider it a bad practice, and pretty heavy-handed, it is possible that a skin author could distribute a skin that uses !WriteKeyValue to write those DesktopWorkArea values to the Rainmeter.ini in order to support how they want their skin(s) to appear on the screen.

I would consider it bad behavior for a skin author to EVER write to Rainmeter.ini. That settings file is designed and expected to be owned and controlled by the end-user of the computer.

I'm not a fan of DesktopWorkArea in general, and could argue that it never should have been a capability that Rainmeter should have attempted to control, as it really just CAN'T reliably and effectively. That is a setting that Windows really wants control over, and it will win all the arguments about it. It's an internal function of Windows used to keep maximized windows from overlaying the Window taskbar, and that is all it is meant for.