It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:27 pm

Rainmeter won't launch at all

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter won't launch at all

Post by balala »

Hamonate1 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 8:11 pm The rainmeter file is non-existent it seems in my appdata folder. It was present before when I was trying the solutions in your bigger post of general bug fixes, but now it's gone. Just reinstalled rainmeter and it still didn't show. I checked in the roaming folder and it's present there. Is that the same rainmeter folder or should there be 2 separate ones per folder?
It is located on the following path: c:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\. Note that AppData is a hidden folder.
Details: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings/#FilesFolders
Hamonate1

Post by Hamonate1 »

It is now present in both file paths that you guys have given me. I opened the configs in each and by default they had hardware acceleration set to 0 with no input from me. Though the issue still persists. Should I try changing the value to 1?

Edit: Setting it to one worked. I am very thankful for the help
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Hamonate1 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 8:11 pm This is weird... The rainmeter file is non-existent it seems in my appdata folder. It was present before when I was trying the solutions in your bigger post of general bug fixes, but now it's gone. Just reinstalled rainmeter and it still didn't show. I checked in the roaming folder and it's present there. Is that the same rainmeter folder or should there be 2 separate ones per folder?
I'm sorry, that's my fault. I should have said "Roaming", not "Local".
Hamonate1

Post by Hamonate1 »

No problem, with your help, I was still able to fix it. I needed to change the hardware acceleration value to 1 and it started working
Texyrialed

Post by Texyrialed »

The same problem has happened to me just today, I downloaded Rainmeter about 3-4 days ago. It was working fine today until it just suddenly crashed and now I can't get it to open up.
I also can't find the HardwareAcceleration, can someone please help me out?
Thanks
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi Texyrialed

HardwareAcceleration=1/0 can be find in the [Rainmeter] section of C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini. So you can edit it using text editor as Notepad.

And... "sudden crash" of Rainmeter might be caused by some skin, as far as I have experienced. In this case, we have to switch on/off each skin one by one editing the line Active=1 to Active=0 in the each skin section of Rainmeter.ini. It is a really hard job, at least for me.
Texyrialed

Post by Texyrialed »

Hey, thanks for such a fast reply

I got it working again somehow, i think it was one of my skins.

But for future reference, I'm still having a hard time locating the line HardwareAcceleration. I have the.ini file open, everything else is there (and I figured out how to disable and enable skins from there, thanks for that tip :thumbup:), but i just can't seem to find the line where HardwareAcceleration is. Under [Rainmeter], i only have;

[Rainmeter]
Logging=0
SkinPath=C:\Users\(username)\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

Should I change Logging=0 to Logging=1 instead? There's nothing labelled "HardwareAcceleration" in my file :/
Thanks for the help though!
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Another option is safe start mode, hold CTRL when launching Rainmeter either from the Start Menu or File Explorer: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/#SafeStart , then this should pop up:
SafeStart.png
For hardware acceleration, can go into Manage Rainmeter, then Settings:
HardwareAcceleration.png
And it reminded me that I needed to turn on hardware acceleration for myself as well, was wondering why I had some peaks of higher tempratures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alex88 on August 19th, 2022, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi Texyrialed

As far as I know, the Hardware Acceleration function was introduced from Rainmeter 4.3 (Revision 3250, September 25, 2018). What version of the Rainmeter you are using?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Texyrialed wrote: August 18th, 2020, 6:23 am I also can't find the HardwareAcceleration, can someone please help me out?
Don't modify manually the options into the Rainmeter.ini file. The hardware acceleration setting is on the Settings tab of the Manage dialogue: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#SettingsTab
Note that this setting requires a restart of Rainmeter.