It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:09 pm

[Bug?] UsageMonitor plugin error

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Bug?] UsageMonitor plugin error

Post by Yincognito »

tjhrulz wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:25 am Ah I misunderstood you, the way you said that I thought you were saying that it was broken only when doing the scrolling, if it is working the same with and without scrolling then you are good to go and there is no need to change anything.

But yeah I would say this plugin is the exception to the rule and definitely that recommendation would not be true for just about any other plugin. I just know how poorly people used the plugins that came before UsageMonitor and if I was going to build a threading system that would take the updates off the UI thread for Rainmeter to prevent the stutter that happened with those other plugins I figured I might as well build a monolithic system that made sure as much resources as possible were shared so that I effectively automated the parent child process that people were supposed to do (But did not) with those previous plugins and applied it even across skins which was not possible before causing significant performance gains
Yeah, totally agree. I very much like your plugin's minimal impact on resources, you're a champion at that. :thumbup: :rosegift: The only thing I didn't like in your plugin was the fact that the near 0% processes were not shown (unlike in the plugins before it). But then, I eventually got used to it and I'm not in any way bothered by it anymore. And yes, I am aware and understand the technical explanation for that, I just had a different opinion on it initially, that's all. Now I just replace empty spaces with some default "no process" string and it's all good.
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

Yincognito wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:40 am Yeah, totally agree. I very much like your plugin's minimal impact on resources, you're a champion at that. :thumbup: :rosegift: The only thing I didn't like in your plugin was the fact that the near 0% processes were not shown (unlike in the plugins before it). But then, I eventually got used to it and I'm not in any way bothered by it anymore. And yes, I am aware and understand the technical explanation for that, I just had a different opinion on it initially, that's all. Now I just replace empty spaces with some default "no process" string and it's all good.
Yeah I actually was in the same boat as you originally on that and fought jsmorley for quite a while that we should at least have an option to show all processes even if they did not run at all during the last update but I did have to agree with his argument of how do we sort it when it is all 0 :confused: After hearing that I conceded that argument (Maybe I will have to sneak it in without him knowing :Whistle )
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I don't think the issue is with processes that are using zero CPU, they just don't exist as far as any logical list of process in the context of a performance monitor / usage monitor. What I think was being said was that processes that take "almost" zero, but not quite, CPU don't seem to show up.
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

jsmorley wrote: August 9th, 2020, 2:13 am I don't think the issue is with processes that are using zero CPU, they just don't exist as far as any logical list of process in the context of a performance monitor / usage monitor. What I think was being said was that processes that take "almost" zero, but not quite, CPU don't seem to show up.
I mean in order for them not to show up they would have to be so small that they are less than the floating point precision that Performance Monitor has and thus would be 0 but ran an instruction. You can actually see this in Task Manager as after a certain point the 0% go from being in random order to alphabetical. The only way to "fix" that would be to show the 0% instances. I can look into maybe if we could write our own convert function but that is tough to say as there is a lot that goes into converting performance counters to the human readable versions, and well we would be chasing stuff so small we would be better of just showing the 0 values or ignoring it
Last edited by tjhrulz on August 10th, 2020, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

tjhrulz wrote: August 9th, 2020, 2:19 am I mean in order for them not to show up they would have to be less than 0.05 since performance monitor's conversion function only goes to one tenth accurarcy and thus they would round down to 0. You can actually see this in Task Manager as after a certain point the 0% go from being in random order to alphabetical. The only way to "fix" that would be to show the 0% instances. I can look into maybe if we could write our own convert function but that is tough to say as there is a lot that goes into converting performance counters to the human readable versions
Based on what I'm seeing, they don't show up if they don't "round" to 0.1
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

jsmorley wrote: August 9th, 2020, 2:20 am Based on what I'm seeing, they don't show up if they don't "round" to 0.1
I don't see this as a big deal, but I would be opposed to listing processes that are not currently using any CPU at all. You might have a hundred of those, and how do you order them in a skin with 10 meters? Random? No way, that would just be the most jumpy annoying skin ever. Alphabetical? So AArdvark.exe is always more important than Zippy.exe? We are measuring "usage" right? How does a process with no "usage" fit in that world?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I don't have a lot of skin in this game, and I'm ok with whatever you think best. For my own personal tastes, I like a skin displaying up to say 10 CPU processes ordered by amount to only include processes that are actually using CPU.

1.jpg

2.jpg
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

jsmorley wrote: August 9th, 2020, 2:21 am I don't see this as a big deal, but I would be opposed to listing processes that are not currently using any CPU at all. You might have a hundred of those, and how do you order them in a skin with 10 meters? Random? No way, that would just be the most jumpy annoying skin ever. Alphabetical? So AArdvark.exe is always more important than Zippy.exe? We are measuring "usage" right? How does a process with no "usage" fit in that world?
Before I built it so it would break ties by using the total instructions it has run in this cycle and then after that using total instructions all time. IIRC Performance Monitor's objects are actually made to be sorted this way and that was how it was run before I removed the 0 instances. You can also see this in affect in the task manager details page.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

tjhrulz wrote: August 9th, 2020, 2:32 am Before I built it so it would break ties by using the total instructions it has run in this cycle and then after that using total instructions all time. IIRC Performance Monitor's objects are actually made to be sorted this way and that was how it was run before I removed the 0 instances. You can also see this in affect in the task manager details page.
If you think that is best, go for it.
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

jsmorley wrote: August 9th, 2020, 2:32 am I don't have a lot of skin in this game, and I'm ok with whatever you think best. For my own personal tastes, I like a skin displaying up to say 10 CPU processes ordered by amount to only include processes that are actually using CPU.

1.jpg

2.jpg
Well and for sure if I do this route it would be an option I would add and not on by default, I just know it has been a issue the community has with this and has prevented some people from switching.