It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:19 pm

Is the portable version of Rainmeter truly portable?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
WirlyWirly

Is the portable version of Rainmeter truly portable?

Post by WirlyWirly »

Does the portable version of Rainmeter leave ANYTHING behind on the host computer when run from a USB?

I use PortableApps, which leave absolutely nothing behind on the host, and am wondering if the portable version of Rainmeter that I downloaded from the homepage does the same thing.

I would like to use the Rainmeter launcher I wrote wherever I take my PortableApps, but I'm concerned that it will leave data/config/log files somewhere that I haven't noticed. I've checked all the common locations and don't see anything, but I thought I'd get some verification or advice on what I can do to make it truly portable.

P.S
I'm not knowledgeable enough about the registry to know what to be looking for, so that area remains unchecked.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Is the portable version of Rainmeter truly portable?

Post by jsmorley »

WirlyWirly wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 3:25 pm Does the portable version of Rainmeter leave ANYTHING behind on the host computer when run from a USB?

I use PortableApps, which leave absolutely nothing behind on the host, and am wondering if the portable version of Rainmeter that I downloaded from the homepage does the same thing.

I would like to use the Rainmeter launcher I wrote wherever I take my PortableApps, but I'm concerned that it will leave data/config/log files somewhere that I haven't noticed. I've checked all the common locations and don't see anything, but I thought I'd get some verification or advice on what I can do to make it truly portable.

P.S
I'm not knowledgeable enough about the registry to know what to be looking for, so that area remains unchecked.
Rainmeter itself will leave NOTHING behind when it is run in "portable" mode. Windows might stick some references to it in some registry key that is tracking "last thing run" and stuff like that, but Rainmeter itself will not write anything to the registry, or write to any folder except the program folder you have it in.
WirlyWirly

Re: Is the portable version of Rainmeter truly portable?

Post by WirlyWirly »

Got it, thanks a bunch for the clarification and your work!