It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:33 pm

Global Media Controls Windows 10

General topics related to Rainmeter.
piyushparkash

Global Media Controls Windows 10

Post by piyushparkash »

HI,

I don't think know If am posting this at right place.

I saw that the media controls in RainMeter is only supported with some Music Application. There is a global media control which windows provides. I just started using Rainmeter. I downloaded RoundSound but it wasn't showing Media Details. According to RainMeter documentation, it can get details from a given list of Media Players. I usually play songs on Youtube Music, there is no App for it, it is mostly browser playing. The control do show up on Windows global media control, but not on custom skins.

Can we integrate this in Rainmeter if it is not already integrated. I can also look into it, if someone can point me in some direction.

Thanks. Great Application by the way.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Global Media Controls Windows 10

Post by Yincognito »

piyushparkash wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:00 am HI,

I don't think know If am posting this at right place.

I saw that the media controls in RainMeter is only supported with some Music Application. There is a global media control which windows provides. I just started using Rainmeter. I downloaded RoundSound but it wasn't showing Media Details. According to RainMeter documentation, it can get details from a given list of Media Players. I usually play songs on Youtube Music, there is no App for it, it is mostly browser playing. The control do show up on Windows global media control, but not on custom skins.

Can we integrate this in Rainmeter if it is not already integrated. I can also look into it, if someone can point me in some direction.

Thanks. Great Application by the way.
Maybe taking a look at the WebNowPlaying plugin and the HotKey plugin can offer such a direction? :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

Copying my reply here since I was asked about it in another thread.

dvo, I looked into it in the past and Microsoft's documentation for it is non existent. The official support for that system is sandboxed and thus you only have access to what your program puts in it (This is why programs seem to fight over it all the time as it is a poorly written system built with obfuscation in mind IMO) While working with Azack on a different low level project for windows a year or two ago I found some undocumented APIs that may be able to be exploited to do it, although I could not get them to work in my limited testing. Knowing that and that MS seems to have the attitude since Windows 10 released that it has been long enough since the Windows XP monopoly lawsuits that they can go back to breaking everything that uses their new APIs that they have not been forced to document with every windows update I doubt something like that will every come to be.

Look this question comes up to me all the time (A quick search of the forum/discord/other channels will show that) this is just from what we know not stable/possible.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Probably a bit late but check this out
https://github.com/NyaNli/GetCurrentMusic

Also you can always use the MediaKey plugin to control playback, depends on the app most of the time really
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

You can't please them all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Jeff wrote: August 5th, 2020, 5:41 pmAlso you can always use the MediaKey plugin to control playback, depends on the app most of the time really
Ah, yes, didn't even think of MediaKey measure (formerly a plugin), my bad. I must admit I never used it. I mean, if one can push some keys to "shortcut" to some global media control function, why bothering trying to do it on a mouse click in a Rainmeter skin? It seems a bit redundant...BUT...

This is a great substitute to control ANY media player (that can do global media keys, that is). Too bad it can't show the info on the played media and can't set the position on it...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth