It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:40 pm

Resizing height of sidebar skin for a 1366x768 res screen

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
arbazhere

Resizing height of sidebar skin for a 1366x768 res screen

Post by arbazhere »

Hi I am new to rainmeter and I tried this skin called "sidebar"
This is how my desktop looks rn:
I was trying to figure out a way to resize the sidebar so that it's height is equal to my screens height.
Your help would be highly appreciated.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Resizing height of sidebar skin for a 1366x768 res screen

Post by balala »

arbazhere wrote: July 27th, 2020, 9:19 am Hi I am new to rainmeter and I tried this skin called "sidebar"
I was trying to figure out a way to resize the sidebar so that it's height is equal to my screens height.
Post please a link of the skin you're talking about. Would be needed to download it, to can see how can it be modified.
The posted image is broken. Fix it as well, please.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: July 27th, 2020, 9:46 amThe posted image is broken. Fix it as well, please.
It's not broken, you can right click on it and choose Open Link In A New Tab or Open Image In A New Tab (on Google Chrome) and it will work. It may appear broken probably because Google (this is a file on the Google Drive) uses some Javascript to show it. Bottom line, only the preview doesn't work, the image itself and the link do.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

arbazhere wrote: July 27th, 2020, 9:19 am Hi I am new to rainmeter and I tried this skin called "sidebar"
This will probably more complex than just changing some value in the skin, but generally, you'd use some of the the built-in Rainmeter section variables as the skin / meter dimensions in order to achieve what you want.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: July 27th, 2020, 3:28 pm It's not broken, you can right click on it and choose Open Link In A New Tab or Open Image In A New Tab (on Google Chrome) and it will work. It may appear broken probably because Google (this is a file on the Google Drive) uses some Javascript to show it. Bottom line, only the preview doesn't work, the image itself and the link do.
Right, I see it just now, but indeed you're right. Sorry i missed it...
Yincognito wrote: July 27th, 2020, 3:33 pm This will probably more complex than just changing some value in the skin, but generally, you'd use some of the the built-in Rainmeter section variables as the skin / meter dimensions in order to achieve what you want.
A download link of the skin still would be needed.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: July 27th, 2020, 3:40 pmRight, I see it just now, but indeed you're right. Sorry i missed it...
No problem, you don't have to apologize for this, really. ;-)
balala wrote: July 27th, 2020, 3:40 pmA download link of the skin still would be needed.
Of course, you're absolutely right.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

[Rainmeter]SideBAR

This skin was designed to work with 1920x1080 resolution. It uses fixed Y positions for the background, shapes, icons, and text.
To make it work with a lower resolution (1366x768) will require modifying all of the meters to display at a reduced vertical positions and separation.

It can be done, but may not look as aesthetically pleasing.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: July 27th, 2020, 5:56 pm This skin was designed to work with 1920x1080 resolution. It uses fixed Y positions for the background, shapes, icons, and text.
To make it work with a lower resolution (1366x768) will require modifying all of the meters to display at a reduced vertical positions and separation.
Good to know and good that you have identified the skin. Since it seems too complicated to modify the skin in a proper way, I think I don't work with it, especially that arbazhere didn't come back after posting his request, to give us some details.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

eclectic-tech wrote: July 27th, 2020, 5:56 pm [Rainmeter]SideBAR

This skin was designed to work with 1920x1080 resolution. It uses fixed Y positions for the background, shapes, icons, and text.

It can be done, but may not look as aesthetically pleasing.
Nicely done finding out which skin was this. Regarding the position / separation / dimensions, I'm not sure there will be issues, since the ratio between 1920 and 1080 being roughly the same as the ratio between 1366 and 768 at 1.7777, a simple multiplication by the 1366 / 1920 = 0.7115 (or alternatively by the 768 / 1080 = 0.7111) value of all the X, Y, W and H - like values in the files would do 99% of the job.

This can probably be achieved in Notepad++ as well, by choosing Replace from the menu and after checking Regular Expression in the Search Mode section, replacing (\d+) with \($1\*0\.7111\), effectively turning every number into a multiplication formula. This must be done through Find Next first so that other non-position, non-dimension numbers are not modified by mistake, but apart from the fact that it's a bit laborious and lengthy process to go through all the files and numerical occurences to do it, it is relatively easy, since the process is at least partially "automatic".

This would probably have to be slightly adjusted for font sizes, although Rainmeter should, in theory, automatically truncate a potential fractional formula result to an integer font size anyway.

In other words, that's a job for the OP to do if he really wants it. I layed out the steps, now it's up to him to click the buttons like crazy in order to fulfill his dream. :D

P.S. Obviously, the regex pattern or the approach of the replacements can be further tweaked or adjusted, either by performing the replacements only on the selected text or by adding other bits to the pattern, in order to minimize human interaction and make the process as automatic as possible.
arbazhere

Post by arbazhere »

Really sorry for not getting back on time and not providing a download link
I really appreciate the replies and I will try this notepad++ thing! Thank you all for your time and effort!