It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:42 pm

[Bug] Rainmeter opens PNGs, ICOs, other files randomly

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Cariboudjan

[Bug] Rainmeter opens PNGs, ICOs, other files randomly

Post by Cariboudjan »

For some reason, I've been noticing every so often Rainmeter is opening PNGs and other file types that Rainmeter is using. I can't replicate this issue but it's been happening more frequently lately, and I've been noticing this issue on multiple PCs. Randomly Rainmeter will decide to just open a random file that Rainmeter is using in Photoshop or another app.

Sorry. Can't replicate it. It happens at random.
Brian
Developer

Re: [Bug] Rainmeter opens PNGs, ICOs, other files randomly

Post by Brian »

I used to see similar things a long time ago when using the old FileList Plugin. In fact, these problems were the main reason why I created the FileView plugin.
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17044&p=94663#p94648

I don't recall any similar issues since.

Is one of your skins using the FileList plugin?
If not, any other 3rd party plugins?
If yes, could you unload those skins that use 3rd party plugins one by one and narrow down the offending plugin, and then post the offending skin?

-Brian
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

This definitely is a skin problem. Can't say which skin or what plugin causes this, but I'm absolutely sure it is a skin problem, as Brian said as well. Such problems never, but never, occur for me.
nek

Post by nek »

I don't have any issues too.

Code: Select all

Rainmeter 4.4.0.3398 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2020-07-11  5:10:32
Commit Hash: c87b8c1a
Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit (build 18363) - Japanese (1041)
Path: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\
IniFile: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
I would recommend to use "Process Monitor" by Microsoft(Sysinternals).
ProcessMonitor.png
Filter > Filter...
+ Process Name is Rainmeter.exe Include >> [Add]
+ Path ends with .png Include >> [Add]
+ Path ends with .ico Include >> [Add]
>> [Apply]
ProcessMonitor_filter.png
Hope it will help you.

Process Monitor | https://docs.microsoft.com/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

Brain, I am heavily using the FileView plugin at the moment.

And it just recurred, opening an icon file, a random PNG file, and an audio file all at once, and all while Rainmeter opened.

Each time this occurs the file is different. It seems to affect media file types (ico, wav, png, etc.). It hasn't randomly opened an ini or inc file (yet).
balala wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:30 pm This definitely is a skin problem. Can't say which skin or what plugin causes this, but I'm absolutely sure it is a skin problem, as Brian said as well. Such problems never, but never, occur for me.
I don't know what to tell ya, but there's nothing in the skin that would cause random media files to open from the skins folder.

I first noticed this issue months ago, but it was so rare that I ignored it. I have between then and now did a full format (for unrelated reasons). I'm currently running the most recent version of Windows and Rainmeter 3398.
nek wrote: July 12th, 2020, 4:56 am I don't have any issues too.

Code: Select all

Rainmeter 4.4.0.3398 beta (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2020-07-11  5:10:32
Commit Hash: c87b8c1a
Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit (build 18363) - Japanese (1041)
Path: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\
IniFile: Z:\Apps\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
I would recommend to use "Process Monitor" by Microsoft(Sysinternals).
ProcessMonitor.png
Filter > Filter...
+ Process Name is Rainmeter.exe Include >> [Add]
+ Path ends with .png Include >> [Add]
+ Path ends with .ico Include >> [Add]
>> [Apply]
ProcessMonitor_filter.png

Hope it will help you.

Process Monitor | https://docs.microsoft.com/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
Done.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Cariboudjan wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:06 pm I have between then and now did a full format (for unrelated reasons). I'm currently running the most recent version of Windows and Rainmeter 3398.
Probably doesn't matter too much which Rainmeter and Windows version do you use.
Cariboudjan wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:06 pm I don't know what to tell ya, but there's nothing in the skin that would cause random media files to open from the skins folder.
Do you know exactly and for sure which skin is causing the problem? If you do, please post its code.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Cariboudjan wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:06 pm Brain, I am heavily using the FileView plugin at the moment.

And it just recurred, opening an icon file, a random PNG file, and an audio file all at once, and all while Rainmeter opened.

Each time this occurs the file is different. It seems to affect media file types (ico, wav, png, etc.). It hasn't randomly opened an ini or inc file (yet).

I don't know what to tell ya, but there's nothing in the skin that would cause random media files to open from the skins folder.

I first noticed this issue months ago, but it was so rare that I ignored it. I have between then and now did a full format (for unrelated reasons). I'm currently running the most recent version of Windows and Rainmeter 3398.

Done.
I agree with Brian and balala, some temporary unload of skins one by one is the only wait to isolate the problem and see where it's coming from. I know that's heavily undesirable, especially when the issue happens randomly and you're not really sure it will happen again in the current setting (I have a similar issue that happens more or less randomly, and I know how annoying it is), but if one wants to find the culprit, this is what he should do. I'm not sure how Sysinternals Process Monitor could help with that, since it won't show you which Rainmeter skin or plugin caused the issue, just that the X operation on file Y was triggered by "Rainmeter.exe" - something you already know.

Another thing you might want to investigate is file associations in Windows. It might be worth checking if they are ok or complete, as in my experience, Windows 10 has (or had) a habit of screwing that from time to time - to this day I still have the appropriate .reg, .xml, .cmd and fake extension test files to handle such events, just in case. Sure, normally it isn't Windows doing the issue you experience, but Rainmeter through a skin or plugin, but the effect of actively opening those files you mentioned in a certain way (instead of passively getting various info on them as probably expected) might have something to do with file associations. This could partially explain why on your "old" Windows installation the issue happened only rarely (since the file associations were probably set up appropriately for most files), and on your new / updated installation it happens more frequently. I'm not sure how this could make sense internally in Rainmeter, since it shouldn't open / execute things on say, scanning a folder and such, but you never know...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: July 14th, 2020, 4:43 pm Another thing you might want to investigate is file associations in Windows.
Not sure this does matter, because Cariboudjan wrote that some random image files are open from time to time. Probably such a file is open into the default program associated with the .png, .jpg or whatever format, whatever that program is. So, probably investigating this won't help too much...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: July 14th, 2020, 5:54 pm Not sure this does matter, because Cariboudjan wrote that some random image files are open from time to time. Probably such a file is open into the default program associated with the .png, .jpg or whatever format, whatever that program is. So, probably investigating this won't help too much...
Could be a shot in the dark, indeed.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

It finally happened again. This time 2 icon files opened with visual studio. Icon12.ico and Icon16.ico. Then a few minutes later, 2 PNG files, Recent1.png and Volume2.png in photoshop.

Each instance of the issue seems to have CANCELLED and FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS.
222.png
444.png
Here is the PML file:
Logfile.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.