It is currently April 18th, 2024, 9:35 pm

Large Artworks Cause Choppy Scrolling

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
LuckyLuciano

Large Artworks Cause Choppy Scrolling

Post by LuckyLuciano »

So the problem I'm facing is that whenever I play a song that has a large embedded artwork from my music library ex: 3500x3500 with size of at least >~7MB, it causes choppiness and the FPS drops due to high GPU usage (>30%). Scrolling a page becomes choppy and everything becomes not fluid.

Here's the thing though, it only happens when running MusicBee and Rainmeter TOGETHER.

I have strong hardware also and am currently using hardware acceleration. Turning it off makes the choppiness be permanent even with songs that have small embedded file artwork in them so it can't be that option.

I have attached a screenshot of all the plugins I have at the end of the post.
Plugins.PNG
System: Windows 10 x64 bit Version 2004

16 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 620

Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 (64-bit) with Build time: 2019-09-22 7:26:11

MusicBee 3.3.7367meter 4.3.1.3321 (64-bit) with Build time: 2019-09-22 7:26:11 and I am using Windows 10 Home 2004.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Re: Large Artworks Cause Choppy Scrolling

Post by Jeff »

The problem is probably both Rainmeter and MusicBee, I have the same problem and when I minimize MusicBee on albums that have large artwork MusicBee just lags. On Rainmeter usually iamges start to lag after 2000x2000, maybe Rainmeter dosen't cahce the downscaled image or maybe the skin author didn't UpdateDevider=-1 the cover meter to make it redraw only on track change? Idk, just know you're not alone lol... on the first one
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I'm not using MusicBee, so can't check the issue, but what I recommend is to unload all skins, except the one you're talking about, then try again. Not sure it's gonna help, but maybe it worth a try.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

I talked to the user on different media channel previously. He had a problem with the skin he was using which was updating itself entirely like 10+ times every second, and had at the same time running another skin which had the same problem. It would be a good idea to optimize the skins to have a moderate update rate and make unnecessary meters or measures unapdatable unless there is a need. Secondly, use ImageSize plugin for resizing big images which I think could benefit the resource usage.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: July 6th, 2020, 5:46 pm He had a problem with the skin he was using which was updating itself entirely like 10+ times every second,
I suppose (hope) you know this is controlled by the Update option of [Rainmeter] section.
Active Colors wrote: July 6th, 2020, 5:46 pm Secondly, use ImageSize plugin for resizing big images which I think could benefit the resource usage.
Resizing an Image meter can be done with W and H options added to the meter. The ImageSize plugin returns the size of an image, it is not needed to resize the meter.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

balala wrote: July 6th, 2020, 6:03 pm Resizing an Image meter can be done with W and H options added to the meter. The ImageSize plugin returns the size of an image, it is not needed to resize the meter.
It is CPU/GPU costly in the default way to resize big images.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: July 6th, 2020, 8:24 pm It is CPU/GPU costly in the default way to resize big images.
Agree! But how do you resize them with the ImageSize plugin (and especially how with less cost)? Because I don't know how this plugin can be used to resize images.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

balala wrote: July 6th, 2020, 8:39 pm Agree! But how do you resize them with the ImageSize plugin (and especially how with less cost)? Because I don't know how this plugin can be used to resize images.
Yeah, the plugin does not do any resizing, but I use the image size plugin to determine if an image needs to be resized in order to avoid excess CPU/GPU loads. If the image does not exceed my maximum dimensions, then no action is taken.

I use this in a visualizer which can use any image; if I didn't test the images and resize the larger ones, the skin would cause enormous system lag! :x
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: July 6th, 2020, 8:51 pm Yeah, the plugin does not do any resizing, but I use the image size plugin to determine if an image needs to be resized in order to avoid excess CPU/GPU loads. If the image does not exceed my maximum dimensions, then no action is taken.
And if the size of the image is larger than what you want (need for?) you set the W and H options on the Image meter (with !SetOption bangs probably), otherwise you don't? Is this correct?
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

My bad, I supposed this plugin could handle the resizing. Sorry for the misinformation.