It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:44 am

[Feature Suggestion] Add more features to skin drag groups

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

[Feature Suggestion] Add more features to skin drag groups

Post by Yincognito »

Would it be possible to add other features, like refreshing skins, unloading skins, or even modifying their "Settings" such as position, transparency and others (all available on mouse right click, i.e. the skins' context menu) to the features of drag groups (which currently include only the ability to drag multiple skins together)? This way, one would be able to refresh, unload or set the settings of multiple skins at the same time, from the drag group's context menu, obviously after selecting the aforementioned skins.

Personally, I'm interested in the ability to unload multiple skins together using the right click context menu, but making it possible for other things like the ones above to be done for multiple skins wouldn't hurt - they can even be added over time. Yes, I know one can unload/hide/etc. multiple skins at the same time by including them in a "normal" skin group from their code, but that requires knowing which skins should belong to that group, while this approach would make the "composition" of the affected group dynamic (at least when setting this on the fly using the right mouse click / context menu), based on the user's momentary desire. Not to mention that this would make it possible to do the above operation on just a (chosen on the fly) part of a "normal" skin group, instead of on the entire group:
Unload Drag Group.jpg
Of course, depending on how much this affects backwards compatibility, another possibility (a bit redundant, sure) would be to create another way of grouping skins together, similar to the existing drag groups, that would be able to do the above. As far as I can tell, other than the fact that "drag groups" will be able to do more than just drag (so, a slight "naming issue"), there shouldn't be any backwards compatibility issues with this suggestion, but obviously the developers know better...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Feature Suggestion] Add more features to skin drag groups

Post by jsmorley »

I'm certainly not opposed in principle. I don't see any real issue with backwards compatibility, I just think we need to look at how we structure this, since we presumably don't want to have a right click on a "grouped" skin preclude getting to the settings for that skin, including any custom context items, while opening up a sub-menu of some kind that allows group actions.

I don't want to bury this too deep in tons of levels of context menus, and I would want to look at the best balanced approach that is easy and logical.

Let us chew on this...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: July 1st, 2020, 1:16 pm I'm certainly not opposed in principle. I don't see any real issue with backwards compatibility, I just think we need to look at how we structure this, since we presumably don't want to have a right click on a "grouped" skin preclude getting to the settings for that skin, including any custom context items, while opening up a sub-menu of some kind that allows group actions.

I don't want to bury this too deep in tons of levels of context menus, and I would want to look at the best balanced approach that is easy and logical.

Let us chew on this...
Okeydokey. One option would be to do these only if CTRL+ALT is still pressed (so that there is no confusion with individual skin settings), but I'm not sure it is possible, since the context menu doesn't seem to be triggered if CTRL+ALT is being pressed.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: July 1st, 2020, 1:28 pm Okeydokey. One option would be to do these only if CTRL+ALT is still pressed (so that there is no confusion with individual skin settings), but I'm not sure it is possible, since the context menu doesn't seem to be triggered if CTRL+ALT is being pressed.
Yes, that is my gut reaction as well. We will have to look into what is possible.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: July 1st, 2020, 1:36 pm Yes, that is my gut reaction as well. We will have to look into what is possible.
Yeah, one issue with this option that came into my mind after writing the reply was what to do if the user choses an option that is only valid on an individual basis. It could be ignored, of course, as part of the whole CTRL+ALT thing, or, if possible, dimmed in the context menu itself. Anyway, I'll let you choose the best way to do this, whenever you want to. ;-)