It is currently April 20th, 2024, 5:57 am

How to change background for a skin

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
datdinhquoc

How to change background for a skin

Post by datdinhquoc »

I'm using system.ini skin, it's transparent but I want some opaque background.

The system.ini file has these lines:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
; This section contains general settings that can be used to change how Rainmeter behaves.
Update=1000
Background=#@#Background.png
; #@# is equal to Rainmeter\Skins\illustro\@Resources
BackgroundMode=3
BackgroundMargins=0,34,0,14
There's no 'Skins' directory under 'Rainmeter', it's under 'Rainmeter/Default'.
I found the location of 'Background.png', put another image in there, and changed the line 'Background=' in system.ini but didn't work; the system skin just disappeared!

Tried another solution, put the new background image in the same folder with system.ini, and I changed background (in system.ini file) to this:

Background=MyBackground.png
But it's not working too. Any simple steps to change background for a skin please?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How to change background for a skin

Post by balala »

First: what is the exact and complete path of the skins folder?
Second: please check the Rainmeter settings: right click the Rainmeter icon in the System Tray, and click Edit settings in the context menu. The Rainmeter.ini file opens into your default text editor. Post here please the SkinPath option you have under the [Rainmeter] section.
Third: please pack the illustro config and upload the package, to can check it.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

datdinhquoc wrote: June 27th, 2020, 2:31 am

Background=MyBackground.png
But it's not working too. Any simple steps to change background for a skin please?
I think you forgot to put #@# in your path, if you put your background into @Resources folder. (#@# stands for @Resources folder.)

Background=#@#MyBackground.png
Also, it is handy to check the log if something is not working as intended. Just right mouse click on the Rainmeter icon in the tray, and choose About.
datdinhquoc

Post by datdinhquoc »

Thanks guys, finally made it working!

The 'Skins' folder is not in installation folder of Rainmeter, ie. Rainmeter/Default/Skins

The 'Skins' folder is in user's dir, mine is C:\Users\datdinhquoc\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins

I put the background image in the correct folder of Skins in user's dir at
C:\Users\datdinhquoc\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\illustro\@Resources

And it works! :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

datdinhquoc wrote: June 27th, 2020, 10:54 am Thanks guys, finally made it working!
How? What was the issue? Was Active Colors right?
datdinhquoc wrote: June 27th, 2020, 10:54 am The 'Skins' folder is not in installation folder of Rainmeter, ie. Rainmeter/Default/Skins
It is never there. Its place usually is C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins, as described here. In fact, its place is Documents\Rainmeter\Skins, which not always is under the C:\Users\YourName\ folder, for me for instance it's on D:\ (d:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins).
On the c:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Defaults\Skins folder is stored the default illustro config, which comes with Rainmeter, when it is installed. It's a sort of backup probably, or something similar (a dev could say much more precisely), but if you install a new skin it definitely is installed on Documents\Rainmeter\Skins, not on c:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Defaults\Skins.
datdinhquoc

Post by datdinhquoc »

Yeah, should be `#@#` for `@Resources` dir in user's dir; and no `#@#` for images in the same dir of skin .ini file :great: