It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:44 pm

⭐ Weather.com - Parsing the V3 JSON

Our most popular Tips and Tricks from the Rainmeter Team and others
jsmorley
Developer

Re: ⭐ Weather.com - Parsing the V3 JSON

Post by jsmorley »

JelleDekkers wrote: June 20th, 2020, 9:30 am Adding "?temp=" to the URL makes it possible to manually choose the units :)
Possible values for the parameter are "c", "f", "m", or "e".
I found out by clicking the little "weather.com" link below the widget when searching for "weather" on Google.
Right. Thanks. This might be useful if you wanted a combination not supported by just using Language. Like French and Fahrenheit.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: June 20th, 2020, 5:29 am So this was about as simple as I could make the regular expression to capture one "pair" of values for a day, the "day" and "night" values:

"iconCode":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]]

[...]

This should properly account for the JSON format of:

"iconCode":[null,29,4,27,38,29,4,29,38,29,38,47,30,29,34,33,30,29,30,29,37,47,38,47,38,47,30,47,38,47]

[...]

Again, Strings are enclosed in "quotes" and numbers are not, but that doesn't matter at all. Deal with the "quotes" later.
Yep, I guess it looks alright. In my case, besides dealing with the quotes later (which I do as well), I was also interested in making the "data" capture work whatever the nature of the data was, so that I wouldn't have to write / use another pattern for strings or whatever else the data would look like. That was the main reason why I ended up with what I posted earlier. The way you approach things, while perfectly fine, requires: a) knowing the kind of data you look for, and b) using a different pattern in the case of strings ... especially if those strings contain commas (like in the case of some of the narratives), because an ungreedy regex will stop at the first comma and discard the rest of the string. I know OnyxBlack already handled that and his method is probably fine as well, but I always like things to be the "one size fits all" type (however discredited this approach is nowadays), to eliminate redundancy and doing the same work again for a different scenario.

Anyway, that's just me, and by no means I try to convince anyone to do as I do - just wanted to clarify the reasoning behind it. As long as the stuff is functional, any method is valid - it's just that personally I don't like to work twice when I can work once and be done with it.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: June 20th, 2020, 12:54 pm Yep, I guess it looks alright. In my case, besides dealing with the quotes later (which I do as well), I was also interested in making the "data" capture work whatever the nature of the data was, so that I wouldn't have to write / use another pattern for strings or whatever else the data would look like. That was the main reason why I ended up with what I posted earlier. The way you approach things, while perfectly fine, requires using a different pattern in the case of strings ... especially if those strings contain commas (like in the case of some of the narratives), because an ungreedy regex will stop at the first comma and discard the rest of the string. I know OnyxBlack already handled that and his method is probably fine as well, but I always like things to be the "one size fits all" type (however discredited this approach is nowadays), to eliminate redundancy and doing the same work again for a different scenario.

Anyway, that's just me, and by no means I try to convince anyone to do as I do - just wanted to clarify the reasoning behind it. As long as the stuff is functional, any method is valid - it's just that personally I don't like to work twice when I can work once and be done with it.
Drat... You know, you are right. This isn't going to handle commas in the two possible "Narratives" per day. I'll have to tweak it again.
nikko

Post by nikko »

thanx 4 answers. i got something not all. how to make this working that way in one regexp:
"precipChance":[null,100,10,60,60,80,80,80,100,80,80,60,40,50,50,50],"precipType":[null,"rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain"],
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Edit June 20, 2020 - Tweaked the regular expression to account for the fact that there can be commas in several of the fields, like the "narrative" entries. Also added a missing WindPhrase field to the measures.

Get the .rmskin in the first post of this thread.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

nikko wrote: June 20th, 2020, 2:29 pm thanx 4 answers. i got something not all. how to make this working that way in one regexp:
"precipChance":[null,100,10,60,60,80,80,80,100,80,80,60,40,50,50,50],"precipType":[null,"rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain","rain"],
I think the best thing is for you to take a look at the file WeatherComJSONMeasures.inc that is included with the .rmskin.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

nikko wrote: June 20th, 2020, 2:29 pm thanx 4 answers. i got something not all. how to make this working that way in one regexp:
But jsmorley's skin and his .inc files already get that. Why would you need to bother with the regexes yourself? :confused:
Take a look here and use the corresponding measures from the long quoted list in that post in your meters - that's all. For example, use [@ForecastDay2DayPrecipitationPercent] for the precipitation chance from the daytime part of the 2nd forecast day, and [@ForecastDay2DayPrecipitationType] for the precipitation type from the same period. Change the number from 2 to whatever day you want (max. 15) and if you want the values for the nighttime of that day, just replace the 2nd occurence of 'Day' in the measure name(s) with 'Night'.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yes, the current RegExp to get all the different types of "forecast" information, for one day (Day 1 or "today" in this case) for both "day" and "night" looks like this:
RegExp=(?siU)"getSunV3DailyForecastUrlConfig":.*"duration:15day;.*"dayOfWeek":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*)[,|\]].*"narrative":\[(?:null,|".*"[,|\]]){0}(null|".*")[,|\]].*"qpf":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*)[,|\]].*"qpfSnow":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*)[,|\]].*"sunriseTimeLocal":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*)[,|\]].*"sunsetTimeLocal":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*)[,|\]].*"temperatureMax":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*)[,|\]].*"temperatureMin":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*)[,|\]].*"cloudCover":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"dayOrNight":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"daypartName":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"iconCode":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"narrative":\[(?:null,|".*"[,|\]]){0}(null|".*")[,|\]](null|".*")[,|\]].*"precipChance":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"precipType":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"qpf":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"qpfSnow":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"relativeHumidity":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"snowRange":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"temperature":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"temperatureHeatIndex":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"temperatureWindChill":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"thunderCategory":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"thunderIndex":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"uvDescription":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"uvIndex":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"windDirection":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"windDirectionCardinal":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"windPhrase":\[(?:null,|".*"[,|\]]){0}(null|".*")[,|\]](null|".*")[,|\]].*"windSpeed":\[(?:.*[,|\]]){0}(.*),(.*)[,|\]].*"wxPhraseLong":\[(?:null,|".*"[,|\]]){0}(null|".*")[,|\]](null|".*")[,|\]].*"wxPhraseShort":\[(?:null,|".*"[,|\]]){0}(null|".*")[,|\]](null|".*")[,|\]]
This is why you probably DON'T really want to parse the JSON yourself, but just use the .inc @Include files I provide. This is not a wheel most of you are likely to enjoy re-inventing...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I made a couple more small tweaks, be sure to get the latest .rmskin.
nikko

Post by nikko »

tnanx for explanation y and js. one more question can you explain this most complex thing;
wxPhraseLong":\[(?:null,|".*"[,|\]]){2}(null|".*")[,|\]](null|".*")[,|\]].*