It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:02 pm

Showing more info on weather skins

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
TallShultzy

Post by TallShultzy »

jsmorley, I've been thinking about showing more info about a day without cluttering up your clean and elegant skin. One idea was to have a pop-out when hovering over a day name. The only way I found to do it was using tooltip.

Code: Select all

[MeterTomorrowName]
Meter=String
Group=Meters
MeasureName=@ForecastDay2DayLong
X=154
Y=8r
W=160
H=17
FontFace=#TextFont#
FontSize=11
FontWeight=400
FontColor=#LabelColor#
StringAlign=Right
AntiAlias=1
MouseOverAction=[!SetOption MeterTomorrowName FontColor 255,0,0,255][!UpdateMeter MeterTomorrowName][!Redraw]
MouseLeaveAction=[!SetOption MeterTomorrowName FontColor #LabelColor#][!UpdateMeter MeterTomorrowName][!Redraw]
ToolTipTitle="Sunrise/Sunset"
ToolTipIcon=INFO
ToolTipText=#Sunrise# : [@CurrentSunriseTime]#CRLF##Sunset#  : [@CurrentSunsetTime]
DynamicVariables=1
It's not very elegant as there is no formatting of the tooltip
Then I thought if the top of the skin, down to sunset was set in a rounded rectangle with the rest of the skin in a rounded rectangle below, it should be possible to replace all the top info with the info corresponding to the day hovered over.
Unfortunately my Rainmeter coding skills are not really up to it, any advice?
Last edited by TallShultzy on June 18th, 2020, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

TallShultzy wrote: June 18th, 2020, 12:24 pm jsmorley, I've been thinking about showing more info about a day without cluttering up your clean and elegant skin. One idea was to have a pop-out when hovering over a day name. The only way I found to do it was using tooltip.

[MeterTomorrowName]
Meter=String
Group=Meters
MeasureName=@ForecastDay2DayLong
X=154
Y=8r
W=160
H=17
FontFace=#TextFont#
FontSize=11
FontWeight=400
FontColor=#LabelColor#
StringAlign=Right
AntiAlias=1
MouseOverAction=[!SetOption MeterTomorrowName FontColor 255,0,0,255][!UpdateMeter MeterTomorrowName][!Redraw]
MouseLeaveAction=[!SetOption MeterTomorrowName FontColor #LabelColor#][!UpdateMeter MeterTomorrowName][!Redraw]
ToolTipTitle="Sunrise/Sunset"
ToolTipIcon=INFO
ToolTipText=#Sunrise# : [@CurrentSunriseTime]#CRLF##Sunset# : [@CurrentSunsetTime]
DynamicVariables=1

It's not very elegant as there is no formatting of the tooltip
Then I thought if the top of the skin, down to sunset was set in a rounded rectangle with the rest of the skin in a rounded rectangle below, it should be possible to replace all the top info with the info corresponding to the day hovered over.
I think what I would be tempted to do is to put all the "current" conditions stuff, from the temperature / icon down to and including sunset, into a "container". Then create the meters for whatever "day of week" related stuff you want, and put them in another container, which would be positioned off the skin to the right, left, top, whatever you like. You will want to set a SkinWidth in [Rainmeter] to support that.

Then when you mouse over one of the "days of week" meters at the bottom, have the "day of week" container slide over to replace the "current" stuff, and when you mouse off, have it slide back.

I don't have time today to get into the particulars, it's not rocket science, but not a trivial little project. You might start with looking at these:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/rainmeter-section/#SkinWidthHeight
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/meters/general-options/container/
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/actiontimer/
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

So something similar to this:

test1.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Personally, I'd want to have both "day" and "night" information available for today and tomorrow, and that is probably going to be difficult in the limited space available for the "container" I described.

What I would likely end up with is

- Put the entire contents of the skin in a container
- Create some new meters, next to each day, that are more or less "D" and "N', or use a little sun and moon icon if you want.
- When it is past 4pm or so of the current day, fade out the "D" and disable the mouse action on that. There won't be any "day" stuff for the current day then.

- Create the meters you want for the "day" stuff. You should only need one set of these, as you will set their contents dynamically before you "slide" them over. Put them in another container.

- When you mouse over either "D" or "N" for a particular day, in this skin that would be today or tomorrow, have the mouse over action do the following:

- Use !SetOption to set all the values for the "day" meters to whatever is appropriate. The correct "day" and the correct day or night values.
- Slide the "current" container out, and slide the "day" container in.

- When you mouse off the "day" container, just reverse the slide.

Yes, ToolTip is spectacularly bad for this, for any number of reasons. It can't be formatted, it will "blink" with this much information in it, and you don't have much control over where it will appear. I'd personally really hate any kind of "popup" for this.

The design of this skin is intended to make it fit into a particular "sidebar" spot on my screen, that works well both with the other skins I run, and with the other applications I might be using at the same time. Nothing that makes any part of it "wider" or "taller" is going to work for me.

2.jpg

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The example .rmskin in the documentation for https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/meters/general-options/container/ has some examples of how you can slide things in and out of a container.
TallShultzy

Post by TallShultzy »

Thanks, It might take a while as this may be beyond my capabilities.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

TallShultzy wrote: June 18th, 2020, 12:24 pm[...] It's not very elegant as there is no formatting of the tooltip [...]
Unless you think of using a custom tooltip, like here. :D
It's about just the same "rocket science" as jsmorley's solution. Everything is explained in version 2.0 of it further down the page, it's basically about building on the base of a basic "tooltip skin" and integrating it in the "workflow" by copy pasting a couple of lines in the "parent skin". Whatever formatting you can use in a Rainmeter skin, you can use in the tooltip skin too - the only thing required is to have the contents of meters blank so they can be "filled" by the parent skin.

That being said, jsmorley's solution is equally pretty and effective. My solution is just another way of doing more or less the same thing, really. Choose whichever option you feel more comfortable with, or whichever one you have the most support going forward. ;-)

P.S. My custom tooltips don't flicker like the operating system ones do, by the way. :sly:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Showing more info on weather skins

Post by balala »

TallShultzy wrote: June 18th, 2020, 5:16 pm Then I thought if the top of the skin, down to sunset was set in a rounded rectangle with the rest of the skin in a rounded rectangle below, it should be possible to replace all the top info with the info corresponding to the day hovered over.
A while ago Yincognito had such a solution, here it is: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=34759#p172398
Try to read and understand his description and if you can't get it to work, he probably will come to help you, being extremely helpful.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 18th, 2020, 6:18 pm A while ago Yincognito had such a solution, here it is: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=34759#p172398
Try to read and understand his description and if you can't get it to work, he probably will come to help you, being extremely helpful.
Oh, thanks for the kind words. :oops:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 18th, 2020, 8:03 pm Oh, thanks for the kind words. :oops:
You're welcome. This is the truth. :thumbup: