It is currently April 18th, 2024, 6:15 pm

⭐ Weather.com

Weather skins
gerryex

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by gerryex »

jsmorley wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:13 am No, it's all good. I think weather.com might have had a hiccup or needed some maintenance a little while ago. The entire site was gone for 5 minutes or so. All seems fine now. Maybe they were rebooting after a Windows Update... ;-)

You will see an error 12002 in the log, which means "I'm knocking, but nobody is home!".

If you were hammering your skin trying to get it to work, you might want to restart Rainmeter.
My desktop is off for the night but I'll give it a try in the morning and report back.

Thanks,
Gerry
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

gerryex wrote: June 9th, 2020, 11:58 pm The weather skin from the Gadgets (V 5.4.1) which had been working for several days just stopped working. However the Weather.com (June 5, 2020) is still working.

Something strange happening again?

Gerry
Please update to the latest version of the Gadgets here. There was a glitch in the master JSON template that returned the wrong description for the "current conditions". This version uses the "Weather.com June 7" templates, which is also newer than the one you are using, so you might want to update that one too.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
gerryex

Post by gerryex »

SilverAzide wrote: June 10th, 2020, 2:40 am Please update to the latest version of the Gadgets here. There was a glitch in the master JSON template that returned the wrong description for the "current conditions". This version uses the "Weather.com June 7" templates, which is also newer than the one you are using.
As soon as I turn on the desktop in the morning that will be the first thing I do. THANKS!

Gerry
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

I didn't have any problems yet, but then, I'm not sure if I was online at the time of the incident(s) and my update rate of 1 hour makes it hard to notice a 5 minute issue. However, since it's obvious that weather.com is going through some changes / upgrades / whatever, such inconveniences might continue to happen intermitently for a while, until everything is settled on their end.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yincognito wrote: June 10th, 2020, 11:35 am I didn't have any problems yet, but then, I'm not sure if I was online at the time of the incident(s) and my update rate of 1 hour makes it hard to notice a 5 minute issue. However, since it's obvious that weather.com is going through some changes / upgrades / whatever, such inconveniences might continue to happen intermitently for a while, until everything is settled on their end.
Today I'm getting the old "V2" JSON served up using the latest JSON template. Commenting out the [EntireSiteSuperParent] UserAgent string (which was there for insurance only) looks like a quick fix, at least for me.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm Today I'm getting the old "V2" JSON served up using the latest JSON template. Commenting out the [EntireSiteSuperParent] UserAgent string (which was there for insurance only) looks like a quick fix, at least for me.
Yeah, the site itself seems in a bit of a flux. I sometimes get the "old" HTML version and sometimes the "new" one when I refresh. I'm hoping things will settle down soon and we can stop obsessing about our weather skins...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

jsmorley wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:26 pmI'm hoping things will settle down soon and we can stop obsessing about our weather skins...
How many times can I click the "upvote" button on this comment? :)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm Today I'm getting the old "V2" JSON served up using the latest JSON template. Commenting out the [EntireSiteSuperParent] UserAgent string (which was there for insurance only) looks like a quick fix, at least for me.
Really? :jawdrop
I'm not, I'm getting V3, just checked it out using the Debug=2 option.

That being said, it looks like my system of getting the data irrespective of version, field names or their order in the JSON might be useful, after all - if the issue persists, that is. :sly:

Let me know if you or anyone is interested. And yes, it can be adapted to be used in modular .inc files (jsmorley's type), as it is variable based anyway. 8-)

P.S. By the way, I'm not using any user agent at all. Must have forgot to include it, as I did want to follow your trick by having a mobile user agent, after all...
Last edited by Yincognito on June 10th, 2020, 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:37 pm How many times can I click the "upvote" button on this comment? :)
I'm going to change my handle to "Captain Obvious"...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: June 10th, 2020, 12:40 pm Really? :jawdrop
I'm not, I'm getting V3, just checked it out using the Debug=2 option.

That being said, it looks like my system of getting the data irrespective of version, field names or their order in the JSON might be useful, after all - if the issue persists, that is. :sly:

Let me know if you or anyone is interested. And yes, it can be adapted to be used in modular .inc files (jsmorley's type), as it is variable based anyway. 8-)

P.S. By the way, I'm not using any user agent at all. Must have forgot to include it, as I did want to follow your trick by having a mobile user agent, after all...
I'm hesitant to jump to an approach that is that complicated. While it might work just fine, and for 90% of users they are never going to look at how the sausage is made anyway, I do fear that if there is some minor change to the JSON, one that breaks both my stuff and yours, a much more complicated RegExp is going to be really hard for anyone but the most determined person to fix.

What would be nice at some point, is something, probably a plugin, that could take a dump of the site from WebParser, and extract just the JSON from it, formatting it into a text file with all the line breaks and indenting and all that, so it becomes MUCH more readable. Then use some JSON "reader" functionality to get fields by name, so it wouldn't matter about any "order" or other extraneous "formatting" in the original source. I guess my point is that this is JSON, although embedded in HTML in a weird and ugly way, and JSON is JSON. "Parsing" JSON like any other text file sorta defeats the purpose.

In any case, I refuse to accept that they are going to continue to maintain both V2 and V3 going forward. I certainly refuse to accept that this can just be random and arbitrary. My guess is that this is an IBM Company, running on the IBM Cloud, and they are having some issues with how they are "balancing" between servers as they roll out the final (for now) V3 version of this. It's fine for me today, and hopefully will continue to be so. This may not be a problem with weather.com at all, but rather a problem with IBM. I haven't trusted Big Blue since the OS/2 days. Any company that stands there staring while Bill Gates picks their pockets not once, but twice in 20 years is not really on top of their game.