It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:11 pm

⭐ Weather.com

Weather skins
mpurses

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by mpurses »

jsmorley wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm It's my guess that Disk Cleanup, which comes with Windows, would be enough for this.
Ya I'd agree, digging a little deeper I think it may be the files located in:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\
that were deleted that fixed the issue. (79G6LIB9 is a 'hidden protected OS folder' / Temporary Internet Files) They have some data from Rainmeter parsing the web. Not sure what caused it in them since I didn't find these until after they were deleted.

C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\QSCSBMXP.htm 1 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\auto[1].txt 1 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\releases[1].json 14 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\303b0e8e1241fc4aa6917782fcb6acc5e397301c948a6bda6c311c30e4c5f84f[8].htm 1,039 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\1aa10baa57363383139fa26ab110a8c794ddd0435b5f3de3e3400db43b7d9ef6[4].htm 996 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\1aa10baa57363383139fa26ab110a8c794ddd0435b5f3de3e3400db43b7d9ef6[5].htm 1,302 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\1aa10baa57363383139fa26ab110a8c794ddd0435b5f3de3e3400db43b7d9ef6[2].htm 971 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\303b0e8e1241fc4aa6917782fcb6acc5e397301c948a6bda6c311c30e4c5f84f[4].htm 1,313 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\303b0e8e1241fc4aa6917782fcb6acc5e397301c948a6bda6c311c30e4c5f84f[2].htm 961 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\1aa10baa57363383139fa26ab110a8c794ddd0435b5f3de3e3400db43b7d9ef6[6].htm 1,041 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\1aa10baa57363383139fa26ab110a8c794ddd0435b5f3de3e3400db43b7d9ef6[9].htm 1,322 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\status[2].json 4 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\status[1].htm 1 KB
C:\Users\mpurs\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\79G6LIB9\status[1].json 1 KB
pul53dr1v3r

Post by pul53dr1v3r »

xenium wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 1:24 pm Damn it, now COVID-19 has infected the internet as well.... :D
a very strange occurrence. i've never heard of and experienced anything like this and now it suddenly affects many of us.
Btw. Windows Updates are off, the same version of system for 2-3 months, since the installation. IE has been turned off, the same version of Rainmeter all the time, runing system clean from time to time (last time run 2 days ago)...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

pul53dr1v3r wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 12:32 pm Hi guys. The issue started to happen to me from yesterday, with the all JSON Weather.com based skins i had installed, including the morley's. The same was with my Rainformer Weather skin. The only thing that worked was location, everything else was empty whatever i did.
Compared the current JSON code of the site, but seems unchanged.
Also, some users of my suite reported the issue from yesterday.

Finally, after many tries to find out what's the cause of it, i scanned my PC with CCleaner and seems it SOLVED the issue. Now everything is working flawlessly from that very moment.
I also did a Registry scan.

Here are the settings i use in CCleaner:
You're the man. The savior, the SENSEI, the freakin' weather man raining them hidden cookies and WebParser leftovers right on the moon and away from our computers. :thumbup:

Yep, problem solved here as well. I think other folks have a point when listing what could have been the culprit for this, but this is something that never happened to me, and frankly I didn't even think it was possible. I mean, between all the (clean) shut downs, restarts, carefully taking care of the computer and all, you'd think such an issue won't propagate over multiple days / OS sessions / etc., but it did.

Still going to update my regex though. I don't like such things happening behind my back and some emergency workaround would be useful in these cases.
pul53dr1v3r wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 2:55 pm a very strange occurrence. i've never heard of and experienced anything like this and now it suddenly affects many of us.
Btw. Windows Updates are off, the same version of system for 2-3 months, since the installation. IE has been turned off, the same version of Rainmeter all the time, runing system clean from time to time (last time run 2 days ago)...
Almost the same as my case. Strange indeed.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
gerryex

Post by gerryex »

eclectic-tech wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 12:41 pm I'm in the "TWC JSON Weather Not Working" camp... hopefully things will eventually get corrected.
But luckily, I have an Yahoo Weather skin that is based on JSMorley's design that works.

It's always good to have options :great:
Thanks so much for posting this. I really missed having weather info on my desktop but couldn't find any other skins that worked and had similar info. Installed this and its working just fine. I hope all the other skins get fixed but in the meantime this is very nice.

Thanks again,
Gerry
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 3:33 pm Yep, problem solved here as well. I think other folks have a point when listing what could have been the culprit for this, but this is something that never happened to me, and frankly I didn't even think it was possible. I mean, between all the (clean) shut downs, restarts, carefully taking care of the computer and all, you'd think such an issue won't propagate over multiple days / OS sessions / etc., but it did.
Had you the same problems? Because if you had, it would explain a lot of things...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

gerryex wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 5:04 pm Thanks so much for posting this. I really missed having weather info on my desktop but couldn't find any other skins that worked and had similar info. Installed this and its working just fine. I hope all the other skins get fixed but in the meantime this is very nice.

Thanks again,
Gerry
Try deleting your Internet Explorer temp files cache as mentioned above (the Rainmeter WebParser uses this even if you use a different browser). Open IE (or your Control Panel) and select Internet Options. From the General tab, click Delete... and at least choose first two items (you can uncheck the rest if you want). Click Delete. Then retry your other weather skins (you might need to restart Rainmeter to be extra sure). Curious to see if this helps you....
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
gerryex

Post by gerryex »

SilverAzide wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 6:20 pm Try deleting your Internet Explorer temp files cache as mentioned above (the Rainmeter WebParser uses this even if you use a different browser). Open IE (or your Control Panel) and select Internet Options. From the General tab, click Delete... and at least choose first two items (you can uncheck the rest if you want). Click Delete. Then retry your other weather skins (you might need to restart Rainmeter to be extra sure). Curious to see if this helps you....
Sorry but no joy!! I haven't used IE in a long time as i switched over to Edge and now the Chromium Edge. But i started IE and went into the options and deleted the Internet temp files. Loaded the Gadgets weather skin and still just "connecting." Then I went into the Windows Control Panel and also deleted those files and no change. I wanted to restart Rainmeter but I actually don't know how to stop it (!) so I just rebooted and still all I get is "connecting."

The Yahoo weather skin is working just fine. REALLY STRANGE!!!!!

I still welcome any other suggestions as I would love to get the Gadgets weather working again as all the other skins i have running is from that suite!

By the way how would I just stop Rainmeter and then start it up again without having to reboot? Also how do I remove an installed skin?

Thanks again,
Gerry
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gerryex wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 6:41 pm Sorry but no joy!! I haven't used IE in a long time as i switched over to Edge and now the Chromium Edge. But i started IE and went into the options and deleted the Internet temp files. Loaded the Gadgets weather skin and still just "connecting." Then I went into the Windows Control Panel and also deleted those files and no change. I wanted to restart Rainmeter but I actually don't know how to stop it (!) so I just rebooted and still all I get is "connecting."

The Yahoo weather skin is working just fine. REALLY STRANGE!!!!!

I still welcome any other suggestions as I would love to get the Gadgets weather working again as all the other skins i have running is from that suite!

By the way how would I just stop Rainmeter and then start it up again without having to reboot? Also how do I remove an installed skin?

Thanks again,
Gerry

I would recommend getting and using the free version of CCleaner from https://www.ccleaner.com/. See if that doesn't help.

Another, somewhat less bulky, but far less pretty, alternative is BleachBit from https://www.bleachbit.org/.

Be careful if you have hacked at the code for the skin in question trying to get it working. If in doubt, re-install the skin.

You can exit Rainmeter by using the Rainmeter Notification Area (System Tray) icon and selecting "Exit". To start it again simply go to the Windows Start Menu, start typing "Rainme..." and when it comes up run it.

You delete a skin by simply unloading it with Manage or the skin context menu, then just delete the appropriate skin folder from:

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
gerryex

Post by gerryex »

jsmorley wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 6:57 pm I would recommend getting and using the free version of CCleaner from https://www.ccleaner.com/. See if that doesn't help.

Another, somewhat less bulky, but far less pretty, alternative is BleachBit from https://www.bleachbit.org/.

You can exit Rainmeter by using the Rainmeter Notification Area (System Tray) icon and selecting "Exit". To start it again simply go to the Windows Start Menu, start typing "Rainme..." and when it comes up run it.

You delete a skin by simply unloading it with Manage or the skin content menu, then just delete the appropriate skin folder from:

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

Hi,

I'm a little hesitant to use CCleaner (or other general cleaners) as I used to use it but one time it really screwed up my system. Some of the posts show CCleaner helped but for some it did not. If more people with this problem say it helps then I'll give it a try.

I now see the "exit" for Rainmeter! And i knew to delete the specific skin folder but I just thought there was a different way to do it.

Thanks,
Gerry
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gerryex wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:12 pm Hi,

I'm a little hesitant to use CCleaner (or other general cleaners) as I used to use it but one time it really screwed up my system. Some of the posts show CCleaner helped but for some it did not. If more people with this problem say it helps then I'll give it a try.

I now see the "exit" for Rainmeter! And i knew to delete the specific skin folder but I just thought there was a different way to do it.

Thanks,
Gerry
That's up to you of course, but I have not seen anyone yet where running CCleaner didn't resolve the issue for them. I don't think there is a certainty that the IE cache or cookies are the culprit here, there is some anecdotal evidence of that, but not for sure. All I can say with some level of comfort is that SOMETHING that CCleaner is getting rid of is fixing the problem for everyone I have seen so far.

I don't think it wise to insist that anyone install 3rd-party software that I didn't write myself. I don't recommend Hydroxychloroquine, that's for you to decide. I have to say though, that I have not yet seen anything built-in that is a reasonably certain alternative. I sorta assumed Disk Cleanup, which comes with Windows, would likely do the trick, but I have not seen evidence of that yet. Might be worth a try.

Hard for me to know for sure, since I never had the problem. Of course that could easily be because I have CCleaner being used to empty my Recycle Bin with the /AUTO command line switch, so I probably run CCleaner dozens of times a day.