It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:12 pm

New to this app

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
yoyoseby97

New to this app

Post by yoyoseby97 »

So I'm using a dual monitor setup and I would like to display some system stats, from msi afterburner for example on the second monitor just like rivatuner overlay works, but display it all the time not just in games, and keep it on the second monitor permanently. Since rivatuner doesn't have this option and I don't want to use third party software like CAM or iCue I figured I should give it a try to rainmeter, but honestly I have no idea how this thing works and unfortunately don't really have the time to sit for hours to document on this. So I was wondering if anyone could spare some moments to give me some pointers on what to do exactly to make this thing, in private of course, no need to fill the forum for nothing. Thanks in advance.
yoyoseby97

Re: New to this app

Post by yoyoseby97 »

I don't mean to do anything fancy at all, rivatuner with afterburner has all the customization options I need, I just want to be able to display those exact stats that I'm currently displaying in games, but on the second monitor and at all times, not just in games, so I figure this shouldn't be that hard actually....but I dunno for sure...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

yoyoseby97 wrote: May 20th, 2020, 9:13 am I don't mean to do anything fancy at all, rivatuner with afterburner has all the customization options I need, I just want to be able to display those exact stats that I'm currently displaying in games, but on the second monitor and at all times, not just in games, so I figure this shouldn't be that hard actually....but I dunno for sure...
My skin suite (MYiniMeter) might be a good starting point (or a good ending point, if you like it). I also use MSI AB and RTSS and I have my skin suite displaying such things (and more) while in desktop mode, while MSI AB / RTSS display pretty much the same stuff while in 3D apps like games, etc (screenshots captured with the same MSI AB / RTSS combo):
Desktop Mode:
Desktop Mode.jpg
Direct3D Mode:
Direct3D Mode.jpg
The skins in the suite are small, but you can increase the font size from the Settings skin and the skins in the suite will get proportionally larger to fit their contents.

Note: The weather skin in that version of my suite is not working due to wxdata weather service being deprecated at the start of this year, but I'm in the (relaxed, no pressure) process of releasing a new version with a few improvements where the weather works just fine. That being said, you don't appear to need all the "extra", and if that's so, just load the desired skins from the suite (e.g. Processor, Memory, Video, etc.) and that's it.
yoyoseby97

Post by yoyoseby97 »

So, after installation my second monitor looks like this:
2nd monitor.jpg
Using the new overlay editor from RTSS I've managed to create this:
Monitor.png
So basically what I would want is the skin to take the entire display (1920X1080). Of course RTSS doesn't enable customization of fonts as far as I know so my result looks kinda "unfinished" but that is the base of the skin...I would want to make it a little transparent, and also to be able to change the colors in the future or rearange the charts and graphs and so on, as my desktop wallpaper changes daily and it could be possible for the colors to blend in. Also, yeah that is the actual size of the numbers I would like to see :))
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

yoyoseby97 wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 2:28 pm So, after installation my second monitor looks like this:
[...]
Using the new overlay editor from RTSS I've managed to create this:
[...]
So basically what I would want is the skin to take the entire display (1920X1080). Of course RTSS doesn't enable customization of fonts as far as I know so my result looks kinda "unfinished" but that is the base of the skin...I would want to make it a little transparent, and also to be able to change the colors in the future or rearange the charts and graphs and so on, as my desktop wallpaper changes daily and it could be possible for the colors to blend in. Also, yeah that is the actual size of the numbers I would like to see :))
The format is fine and doable, so no issues there. However, two things:
- if you want the skin to cover your entire display, you should be aware that the skin will still be "in front" of the wallpaper, the destop icons, etc. and will cover them visually. Functionally, it can be made that mouse clicks will "ignore" the skin so that you can select or click a desktop icon, for example, by choosing right click -> Settings -> Click through from the skin's context menu, but visually the skin will cover anything else "behind" it. Bottom line, I would need some clarification on how exactly would you like the skin to behave regarding this, and then see if it's possible.
- how exactly do you want to "rearange the charts and graphs" in the future? Rearrange like move / switch them, or more like redimension / resize them?
yoyoseby97

Post by yoyoseby97 »

Yincognito wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 3:32 pm The format is fine and doable, so no issues there. However, two things:
- if you want the skin to cover your entire display, you should be aware that the skin will still be "in front" of the wallpaper, the destop icons, etc. and will cover them visually. Functionally, it can be made that mouse clicks will "ignore" the skin so that you can select or click a desktop icon, for example, by choosing right click -> Settings -> Click through from the skin's context menu, but visually the skin will cover anything else "behind" it. Bottom line, I would need some clarification on how exactly would you like the skin to behave regarding this, and then see if it's possible.
- how exactly do you want to "rearange the charts and graphs" in the future? Rearrange like move / switch them, or more like redimension / resize them?
Well, this is going to be on the second monitor, which doesn't have any desktop icons, but still I would prefer the skin to ignore mouse clicks
Well I guess I would want to know how to rearrange and resize them, change their colours, their fonts...or even to add other sensors I don't know, I guess I would like to know how to operate rainmeter not just activate the skin and never touch it again because, well I dunno how to do it :(
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

yoyoseby97 wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 3:44 pm Well, this is going to be on the second monitor, which doesn't have any desktop icons, but still I would prefer the skin to ignore mouse clicks
Well I guess I would want to know how to rearrange and resize them, change their colours, their fonts...or even to add other sensors I don't know, I guess I would like to know how to operate rainmeter not just activate the skin and never touch it again because, well I dunno how to do it :(
I see - all clear now. If that's so, then you could do it yourself, as that's the best way to learn how to tweak and use it, much better than if you're delivered the "final product". If you're interested (or you think otherwise), let me know. I'll be guiding you at each step, so no worries. ;-)
yoyoseby97

Post by yoyoseby97 »

Yincognito wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 3:50 pm I see - all clear now. If that's so, then you could do it yourself, as that's the best way to learn how to tweak and use it, much better than if you're delivered the "final product". If you're interested (or you think otherwise), let me know. I'll be guiding you at each step, so no worries. ;-)
Yes, I would very much like to learn how to use this app, who knows what I would wanna do later, and can't just depend on some good fellow to do it for me.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

yoyoseby97 wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 3:53 pm Yes, I would very much like to learn how to use this app, who knows what I would wanna do later, and can't just depend on some good fellow to do it for me.
Alright. Then we can start with something simple, like displaying the CPU usage. Visit the link here and copy the code at the bottom of the page to your clipboard. Then create your first skin, by making an .ini file in a new folder created in your Rainmeter skins folder, like here. Paste the previously copied code in that new blank .ini file and save it. Then, open the Manage Rainmeter window and click Refresh All to "see" your newly created skin, which you can then Load.

Or, even easier, use the steps here to do it, and then pase your copied code in the newly created .ini file, so you can afterwards load it.
yoyoseby97

Post by yoyoseby97 »

Shouldn't we do this in private?...Is it okay to spam a thread like this?