It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:39 am

FreeDiskSpace for Optical Media

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
DavidRGreen

FreeDiskSpace for Optical Media

Post by DavidRGreen »

G'day,
I was wondering if there had been any thought to Space metrics for Optical Media?
Total would reflect the authored space, and Free would always be zero.
But the values would could be indicative of the media type; CD around 600Mb, DVD around 4Gb (, BluRay around 25Gb?).

It may be related to the current lack of Space metrics for the Optical drive, but I have noticed that when a Bar Meter is linked to the Measure, when the drive is empty (0b) the Bar shows full (100%) whereas my expectation was an empty bar on no platter loaded and a full bar when a platter is loaded.

I realise the "FreeDiskSpace" is for monitoring storage use, but the poor optical drive is the odd one out yielding zero irrespective of media.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: FreeDiskSpace for Optical Media

Post by balala »

DavidRGreen wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 3:31 am I was wondering if there had been any thought to Space metrics for Optical Media?
Total would reflect the authored space, and Free would always be zero.
But the values would could be indicative of the media type; CD around 600Mb, DVD around 4Gb (, BluRay around 25Gb?).
Unfortunately the FreeDiskSpace measure doesn't support optical medias. There are only two options which work: the type of the drive and the label of the media. But a such measure with a Label=1 option set, tells you what type of drive are working with.
DavidRGreen wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 3:31 am I realise the "FreeDiskSpace" is for monitoring storage use, but the poor optical drive is the odd one out yielding zero irrespective of media.
No, in fact FreeDiskSpace can monitor either the used, the free or the total space of a non-optical media (eg a hard disk partition).

Just to promote again one of my previous works (sorry I do this): more then three years ago I wrote an Optical Drive Status Plugin, to monitor the optical drive. Give it a try, if you want.
DavidRGreen

Re: FreeDiskSpace for Optical Media

Post by DavidRGreen »

Yes, I was aware of the limitations of FreeDiskSpace in regards to Optical Media. This was more along the lines of a tentative probe of a suggestion if space metrics for optical media could be have been added to Rainmeter.
I've already used everything that Rainmeter currently provides.
… I just wanted capacity for completeness :)
Thanks balala