It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:42 pm

How to place specific skins on specific monitors when using dual monitors

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
CosmoQueen

How to place specific skins on specific monitors when using dual monitors

Post by CosmoQueen »

I have a laptop running windows 10 home and the rainmeter program as well as a few skins installed on my laptop. I want to try and do a few different things for each monitor but I am new to this whole rainmeter thing so I don't even know if what I want to do is possible. First of all here goes the list of what I have and what I want to try and do.

I am using frost on my laptop as the music meter and I want to place it only on the second monitor I have not on my main laptop monitor. Because I use the extra monitor to watch videos and listen to music and would like to place it on there where I also play the vlc media player from. Plus if possible I would like to stretch the size of the "Frost" along the full width of the second monitor if possible.

Plus I also have a weather skin as well that I want to place on the main laptop monitor as well if possible. I also have a time and calendar skin which I want to place only on the laptop monitor. Media I want only on the second monitor and the stuff I would need close by I want on the laptop monitor. If that makes any sense at all.

If this can be done can someone please tell me how to do this I have tried to tinker in the settings on the frost skin in rainmeter to change the width but it wont work for some reason.

If anyone could help me out I would be greatly appreciated!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How to place specific skins on specific monitors when using dual monitors

Post by balala »

CosmoQueen wrote: May 20th, 2020, 8:45 pm If anyone could help me out I would be greatly appreciated!
I'm using one single monitor, so maybe I am wrong, but as far as I know you can get the skins and drag them where you want: on first, or second monitor or wherever do you want.
Sorry if I am wrong...
CosmoQueen

Post by CosmoQueen »

I found out I can move them but I didn't know if they lock in place if I place them there if they come back to the main screen once I close the vlc media player. I didn't know for sure.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CosmoQueen wrote: May 20th, 2020, 9:43 pm I found out I can move them but I didn't know if they lock in place if I place them there if they come back to the main screen once I close the vlc media player. I didn't know for sure.
It's easy: check it. Drag a skin to the second monitor, close VLC and see what's going on. I doubt it would move back, however I'm not sure.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

sometimes skins can get "pulled" back to the primary monitor. To avoid that just un-select "keep on screen" in the rainmeter manager - or right-click the skin and some really handy options are also there as well.

I have 6 displays and getting things right takes a lot of time if something goes awry. In the rainmeter manager, there is a tab called "Layouts" there you can name and save quite a few different layouts. You could in fact create a skin just for conveniently organising things and maintain your design theme or rainmeter setup across any number of displays.

I might take a second to shout out "Display Fusion" multi monitor manager - is not free but has a 30 trial before you lose some options, although not all of the functions are 'gone' but disabled until you register your copy.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
CosmoQueen

Post by CosmoQueen »

Thank you for the explanation I was kind of worried about this issue but so far I have downloaded and tinkered with over 20 skins and have worked my way down to 4 actually working and looking the way I want I plan to delete all the rest of them. I am using a weather skin, music visualizer skin and a calendar skin and a clock skin. These all look and work pretty well for me so far.