It is currently April 18th, 2024, 4:44 pm

Syntax for line-spacing

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Syntax for line-spacing

Post by Yincognito »

jn_meter wrote: April 28th, 2020, 4:45 pmThe variable trick I did not know. However, can one combine those declarations, thusly?

Code: Select all

SetNetDownStyle=[!SetOption meter_value_networkDown MeterStyle style_value_network_trafficIn][!SetOption meter_value_networkUp MeterStyle style_value_network_trafficOut][!EnableMeasure measure_vpn][!ShowMeter meter_vpn]
Of course. You can even nest them, if you like, and I think it will work.
jn_meter wrote: April 28th, 2020, 4:45 pmTrying to work out what e.g. 'SetNetDownStyle' means (setting something called NetDown to some style? Doing something when the network is down?) is no fun. Indeed having to do that might be worse than the problem that I have at present!
It's just a (supposedly meaningful, but apparently not that much, LOL) variable name. You can name it any way you like, after all, if my 'SetNetDownStyle' attempt of a name doesn't mean anything (or sound too odd) to you.
jn_meter wrote: April 28th, 2020, 4:45 pmAlso, even if one can do the above, it pretty much just moves unreadable code from one place in the script to another place!
Not really. It shortens the line length considerably (that was the idea, after all, wasn't it?), so assuming meaningful names assigned to the variables, one can understand what actually happens in that line. Now, of course, if you'll meet such variables in another code, other than yours, it may take a bit to get familiar with the "naming conventions", but it helps alleviate the initial problem, that thing is clear.

In the end, these are just alternatives. They don't separate lines by line feeds, of course, but they do make those lines shorter, which does improve readability and debugging, assuming you're already familiar with the naming conventions. Better than nothing, right?
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jn_meter

Post by jn_meter »

It's just a (supposedly meaningful, but apparently not that much, LOL) variable name. You can name it any way you like
Sorry. I meant: given my cumbersome naming conventions, it is hard to find a non-confusing name. Not to worry, though. For, with your help, my code is now much better! I do have some nasty long-line stuff at the top of it - in the form of variable declarations - but that allows the rest to be clean. :D :great: :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Come on guys, as jsmorley specified, this entire argue is useless:
jsmorley wrote: April 27th, 2020, 10:56 pm As long as Rainmeter uses the .ini file format, it will require that all options be on one line.
jn_meter

Post by jn_meter »

Useless? To quote myself:
with your help, my code is now much better!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jn_meter wrote: April 28th, 2020, 6:17 pm Sorry. I meant: given my cumbersome naming conventions, it is hard to find a non-confusing name. Not to worry, though. For, with your help, my code is now much better! I do have some nasty long-line stuff at the top of it - in the form of variable declarations - but that allows the rest to be clean. :D :great: :thumbup:
Oh, I see now. Okeydokey then. ;-)
balala wrote: April 28th, 2020, 6:18 pm Come on guys, as jsmorley specified, this entire argue is useless:
Not necessarily. It helped jn_meter find out new tricks (some of them he apparently didn't knew before) to shorten his code, (hopefully) making the thing more reasonable now, in a sense. At least that's what I understood from all of this. Also, it appears that I got his previous post wrong, as he was complaining about his own naming conventions and not mine. :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I think tips and tricks for how you can simplify your code, make it more readable, use better naming conventions, whatever are GREAT.

My only point is that we are just NOT going to change the format of the .ini files used with Rainmeter.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jn_meter wrote: April 28th, 2020, 6:17 pmSorry. I meant: given my cumbersome naming conventions...
You want cumbersome?! LOL, take a look at this (and add to this the process of automatically writing the measure and meters in the skins from Lua, now THAT is hard to debug, if you're not familiar with the entire mumbo jumbo - balala knows):

Code: Select all

[Variables]

; Shorthand bangs and abbreviations
A=!ActivateConfig
S=!SetOptionGroup
SO=!SetOption
SV=!SetVariable
U=!UpdateMeasureGroup
UM=!UpdateMeasure
W=!WriteKeyValue

MA=MatchActions
WV=WriteVariableRounded
V=Variables

; Default audio settings
DefAverageSize=0
DefLoudnessEqualization=1
DefFFTSize=6144
DefFFTOverlap=(#**FFTSize**#-512)
DefFFTAttack=0
DefFFTDecay=240
DefFreqMin=30
DefFreqMax=10000
DefSensitivity=24

; Substitute patterns based on the active type of Setting

StateSubstitute="1":"Display","2":"Audio","3":"Extras","4":"","5":""
SetHeaderTabNames=[#SO# HeaderTab1 Text "Display"][#SO# HeaderTab2 Text "Audio"][#SO# HeaderTab3 Text "Extras"][#SO# HeaderTab4 Text " "][#SO# HeaderTab5 Text " "]

; Name of variable written to file
Var///1="Display":"Bands","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
Var///2="Display":"Width","Audio":"Sensitivity","Extras":"-1"
Var///3="Display":"Height","Audio":"FFTAttack","Extras":"-1"
Var///4="Display":"-1","Audio":"FFTDecay","Extras":"-1"
Var///5="Display":"Scale","Audio":"AverageSize","Extras":"-1"
Var///6="Display":"-1","Audio":"FreqMin","Extras":"-1"
Var///7="Display":"-1","Audio":"FreqMax","Extras":"-1"
Var///8="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
Var///9="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
Var///10="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
Var///11="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
Var///12="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
Var///13="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"

; Calc measure MaxValue for Bar meters
CalcMV///1="Display":"128","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///2="Display":"#WORKAREAWIDTH#","Audio":"60","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///3="Display":"#WORKAREAHEIGHT#","Audio":"500","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///4="Display":"-1","Audio":"500","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///5="Display":"5","Audio":"8","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///6="Display":"-1","Audio":"320","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///7="Display":"-1","Audio":"24000","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///8="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///9="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///10="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///11="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///12="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"
CalcMV///13="Display":"-1","Audio":"-1","Extras":"-1"

; LeftMouseDownAction for String meters
StringLMDA///1="Audio":'[#W# #V# LoudnessEqualization "(#LoudnessEqualization# = 0 ? 1 : 0)" "#@##V#.inc"]',"Extras":'[#A# "#ROOTCONFIG#\Clone"]'
StringLMDA///2="Extras":'[#A# "#ROOTCONFIG#\Clone_2"]'
StringLMDA///3="Extras":'[#A# "#ROOTCONFIG#\SettingsMisc" "ExtrasCreateStandaloneSkin.ini"]'
StringLMDA///4=
StringLMDA///5=
StringLMDA///6="Display":'[#W# #V# Invert "(#Invert# = 0 ? 1 : 0)" "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# Invert "(#Invert# = 0 ? 1 : 0)" "#ConfigPath#"]'
StringLMDA///7="Display":'[#W# #V# Flip "(#Flip# = 0 ? 1 : 0)" "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# Flip "(#Flip# = 0 ? 1 : 0)" "#ConfigPath#"]'
StringLMDA///8="Display":'[#W# #V# Horizontal "(#Horizontal# = 0 ? 1 : 0)" "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# Horizontal "(#Horizontal# = 0 ? 1 : 0)" "#ConfigPath#"]',"Audio":'[#A# "#ROOTCONFIG#\SettingsMisc" "AudioFFTSize.ini"]'
StringLMDA///9="Display":'[#W# #V# SmoothEnds "(#SmoothEnds# = 0 ? 1 : 0)" "#@##V#.inc"]',"Audio":'[#A# "#ROOTCONFIG#\SettingsMisc" "AudioChannel.ini"]'
StringLMDA///10="Audio":'[#A# "#ROOTCONFIG#\SettingsMisc" "AudioMusicPlayer.ini"]'
StringLMDA///11="Audio":'[#W# #V# Port #*PortVariable*# "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# Port #*PortVariable*# "#ConfigPath#"]'
StringLMDA///12="Audio":'[#A# "#ROOTCONFIG#\SettingsMisc" "AudioDeviceList.ini"]'
StringLMDA///13="Audio":'[#W# #V# AverageSize #DefAverageSize# "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# LoudnessEqualization #DefLoudnessEqualization# "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# FFTSize #DefFFTSize# "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# FFTOverlap """"#DefFFTOverlap#"""" "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# FFTAttack #DefFFTAttack# "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# FFTDecay #DefFFTDecay# "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# FreqMin #DefFreqMin# "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# FreqMax #DefFreqMax# "#@##V#.inc"][#W# #V# Sensitivity #DefSensitivity# "#@##V#.inc"]'

; Display text
Text///1="Display":"Number of peaks: #Bands#","Audio":"#LoudnessEqualization#  Loudness equalization","Extras":"Show duplicate skin...","1  Loudness equalization":"☑  Loudness equalization","#LoudnessEqualization#  Loudness equalization":"☐  Loudness equalization"
Text///2="Display":"Width: #Width# px","Audio":"Sensitivity: #Sensitivity# dB","Extras":"Show duplicate skin (2)..."
Text///3="Display":"Height: #Height# px","Audio":"Attack speed: #FFTAttack# ms","Extras":"Create standalone skin..."
Text///4="Display":"Color:","Audio":"Decay speed: #FFTDecay# ms","Extras":""
Text///5="Display":"Magnification: #Scale#x","Audio":"Smoothness: #AverageSize# past values","Extras":"","1 past values":"1 past value"
Text///6="Display":"#Invert#  Invert spectrum","Audio":"Min frequency: #FreqMin# Hz","Extras":"","1  Invert spectrum":"☑  Invert spectrum","#Invert#  Invert spectrum":"☐  Invert spectrum"
Text///7="Display":"#Flip#  Flip upside down","Audio":"Max frequency: #FreqMax# Hz","Extras":"","1  Flip upside down":"☑  Flip upside down","#Flip#  Flip upside down":"☐  Flip upside down"
Text///8="Display":"#Horizontal#  Horizontal rotation","Audio":"Resolution: #FFTSize# points  ▼","Extras":"","1  Horizontal rotation":"☑  Horizontal rotation","#Horizontal#  Horizontal rotation":"☐  Horizontal rotation"
Text///9="Display":"#SmoothEnds#  Smooth ends","Audio":"Channel: #Channel#  ▼","Extras":"","1  Smooth ends":"☑  Smooth ends","#SmoothEnds#  Smooth ends":"☐  Smooth ends"
Text///10="Display":"","Audio":"Music player: #MusicPlayer#  ▼","Extras":""
Text///11="Display":"","Audio":"Switch to #Port#...","Extras":"","Output":"input","Input":"output"
Text///12="Display":"","Audio":"Set audio device...","Extras":""
Text///13="Display":"","Audio":"Reset audio settings...","Extras":""

; Help text
HelpText///1="Display":"Number of audio bands. Higher values increases precision.","Audio":"Increases visibility for quiet audio sources when applicable.","Extras":"Show a skin clone with separate source options."
HelpText///2="Display":"Spectrum width.","Audio":"Spectrum visibility based on sound level threshold.","Extras":"Show another skin clone with separate source options."
HelpText///3="Display":"Spectrum height.","Audio":"Determines how fast the peaks rise.","Extras":"Create a skin copy with all separate options. (Not related to above)"
HelpText///4="Display":"Change skin color.","Audio":"Determines how fast the peaks fall.","Extras":" "
HelpText///5="Display":"Increases viewing size and performance at the expense of quality.","Audio":"Average sound levels over time to provide continuity.","Extras":" "
HelpText///6="Display":"Reverses the order of the peaks.","Audio":"Threshold for lowest pitched sounds.","Extras":" "
HelpText///7="Display":"Rotates 180°.","Audio":"Threshold for highest pitched sounds.","Extras":" "
HelpText///8="Display":"Rotates 90°.","Audio":"Spectrum accuracy. Note: Higher values will increase delay.","Extras":" "
HelpText///9="Display":"Prevents the output from clipping at the edges.","Audio":"Speaker source.","Extras":" "
HelpText///10="Display":" ","Audio":"Note: When the player is open, all sounds will be displayed.","Extras":" "
HelpText///11="Display":" ","Audio":"Switch between your microphone or speakers.","Extras":" "
HelpText///12="Display":" ","Audio":"Select another audio device.","Extras":" "
HelpText///13="Display":" ","Audio":"Reset audio settings to the default values.","Extras":" "

; Rounding options based on the active type of Setting and Section
RoundDisplayWidthHeight=[#SO# #WV# IfCondition2 "((#***Section***# = 2) || (#***Section***# = 3))"][#SO# #WV# IfTrueAction2 """[#SO# WriteVariable Formula "Round([****#WV#****] / 10) * 10"][#SO# WriteVariable OnChangeAction """[#W# #V# [///#****Section****#] [****WriteVariable****] "#@##V#.inc"][#A# "#ROOTCONFIG#\GenerateBands" "GenerateMeters.ini"]"""]"""]
RoundDisplayBands=[#SO# #WV# IfCondition3 "(#***Section***# = 1)"][#SO# #WV# IfTrueAction3 """[#SO# WriteVariable OnChangeAction """[#W# #V# [///#****Section****#] [****WriteVariable****] "#@##V#.inc"][#A# "#ROOTCONFIG#\GenerateBands" "GenerateMeasures.ini"]"""]"""]
RoundDisplayFinal=[#SO# #WV# IfCondition4 "(#WV# >= 0)"][#SO# #WV# IfTrueAction4 """[#UM# WriteVariable]"""]

RoundDisplay=#RoundDisplayWidthHeight##RoundDisplayBands##RoundDisplayFinal#

; Extra bangs to modify the Settings window based on the active type of Setting

DisplayBangs=#RoundDisplay#[#SO# "4" X 16R][#SO# "4" Y 2r][#SO# "4" W 16][#SO# "4" H 16][#SO# "4" SolidColor #Color#][#SO# "4" LeftMouseUpAction """[!WriteKeyValue Variables WriteVariable Color "#@#Variables.inc"][!ActivateConfig "#ROOTCONFIG#\RGBCode"][!Move "(#**CURRENTCONFIGX**# + [#***CURRENTSECTION***#:X])" "(#**CURRENTCONFIGY**# + [#***CURRENTSECTION***#:Y] + 24)" "#ROOTCONFIG#\RGBCode"]"""]

AudioBangs=[#SO# #MA# String "#Port#"][#UM# #MA#][#SO# #MA# IfMatch "Output"][#SO# #MA# IfMatchAction """[#SV# PortVariable "Input"]"""][#SO# #MA# IfMatch2 "Input"][#SO# #MA# IfMatchAction2 """[#SV# PortVariable "Output"]"""][#UM# #MA#]

ExtrasBangs=

IfMatchDisplay=[#SO# #MA# IfMatch "Display"][#SO# #MA# IfMatchAction """#DisplayBangs#"""]
IfMatchAudio=[#SO# #MA# IfMatch2 "Audio"][#SO# #MA# IfMatchAction2 """#AudioBangs#"""]
IfMatchExtras=[#SO# #MA# IfMatch3 "Extras"][#SO# #MA# IfMatchAction3 """#ExtrasBangs#"""]
SetOptionsByState=[#SO# #MA# String [StateReference]][#UM# #MA#]#IfMatchDisplay##IfMatchAudio##IfMatchExtras#[#UM# #MA#]
So, the lesson from this: yes, these tricks are useful and can help you with shortening stuff and such ... as long as you don't abuse them like above. This would be hard even for the author to decipher, especially if he didn't update his skin in a long time... :?