It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:39 pm

All Gadgets flash

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: All Gadgets flash

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: April 24th, 2020, 12:19 pmThe fact that you cannot run Rainmeter with hardware acceleration turned on is a big clue that something is wrong.
At no point did the OP suggest that Rainmeter doesn't work for him with the hardware acceleration turned on. He only said that it made the flickering worse, that's all - just stating the facts. My impression is that this is a driver related issue. The flickering, not just of Rainmeter, but of any app using the GPU a bit more intensively, is common to driver-less or driver-wrong operating system, and I've met it a lot of times in my debugging operations over the years.

That being said, I have a question for you, given that the topic is somewhat related to this and that you probably have more experience with this than I currently do: I'm trying to implement UsageMonitor's Alias=GPU in my skins (well, the possibility to choose displaying this alias was always there, I just didn't think of testing it until now, given the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or later requirement), and only get Rainmeter.exe with around 1% to 2% usage, nothing else. The screenshot you posted here appears to indicate that there should be more processes being displayed in the "Top GPU Meter", so my question is: am I doing something wrong to get only Rainmeter.exe appearing to use my GPU, or it's just a tricky PerfMon counter that might provide inconsistent numbers or processes here, depending on the large variety of GPU cards?

By the way, I did read in your skins that dwm.exe should be excluded from this, but I'm sure the fact that I'm not (yet) excluding it is not the cause for this, since, after all, the dwm.exe is not even shown, and displaying only Rainmeter.exe as using the GPU happens in your "gadget" as well.

Maybe you know some things that I don't regarding this, and could shed a light into this odd behavior, maybe?
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SAngeli

Post by SAngeli »

dvo wrote: April 24th, 2020, 10:17 am did you update the drivers from dell?
Yes, I have monitor driver installed and I properly see, in device manager, my three monitors with the corresponding model and cable connectin type . Thanks for bringing this up to my attention!
dvo wrote: April 24th, 2020, 10:17 amcan you try it on the other screens ? does this make a diffence ? or is this on all monitors? mostly they daisy chain them via dp and there are setting
This happens on all 3 monitors reguardless of where I place the Gadget.
SAngeli

Post by SAngeli »

SilverAzide wrote: April 24th, 2020, 12:19 pm I think you have a problem with Direct2D and your graphics driver. Does your PC have an Intel GPU in addition to your nVidia one? ...
No, I do not have an Intel GPU. I only have an nVidia GPU.

Is there a way to run a GPU test for Direct2D so I can provide you with a more accurate reply to your question?
SilverAzide wrote: April 24th, 2020, 12:19 pmThe fact that you cannot run Rainmeter with hardware acceleration turned on is a big clue that something is wrong. If, after trying the above you still see your problem, I suggest you try an experiment. Uninstall Rainmeter completely, then go HERE and download Rainmeter 4.2. This version did not use Direct2D. Install it and, using the included Illustro skins only, see if the problems continue. If you still see flickering, you will pretty much have to live with it, as it is something unique to your machine.
I will try to do as you asked me for this afternoon if I can find some time.

In the mean time I wish you all to watch this secondo video. I just found out how crazy Windows 10 is and do not know why is behaving this way.

Thank you very much for your time and help
Last edited by SAngeli on June 14th, 2020, 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SAngeli wrote: April 25th, 2020, 11:03 am Yes, I have monitor driver installed and I properly see, in device manager, my three monitors with the corresponding model and cable connectin type . Thanks for bringing this up to my attention!

This happens on all 3 monitors reguardless of where I place the Gadget.
It's NOT the monitor driver that could cause the issue here, it's the video card driver (or an improperly configured video card?) that could be the culprit. If updating (or even changing) the video card driver is the true culprit, then the issue will be solved on all your 3 monitors (since they probably use the same video card anyway).

And yes, if it's the video card driver, starting Windows in safe mode is not going to be of much help, since in those situations only a basic (default) video driver is used, and that driver is often just as bad as a bad/outdated video driver from the video card manufacturer.
SAngeli wrote: April 25th, 2020, 11:14 amHere is the link to my second video.
You posted the link in a wrong way. It's still accessible if you copy the link address and cut the unneeded parts though.
oZone

Post by oZone »

There was also issues with nvidia driver when using Rainmeter with hardware acceleration.

this is latest driver for your GPU from manufactor (it's quite old)
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N760OC-4GD-rev-21/support#support-dl-driver

you could try generic driver from nvidia (https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us)
standard: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/159420/en-us
dch: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/159423/en-us
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

oZone wrote: April 25th, 2020, 11:33 am There was also issues with nvidia driver when using Rainmeter with hardware acceleration.

this is latest driver for your GPU from manufactor (it's quite old)
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N760OC-4GD-rev-21/support#support-dl-driver

you could try generic driver from nvidia (https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us)
standard: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/159420/en-us
dch: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/159423/en-us
Yeah, didn't check, but probably those links will do well. Personally, I never choose the video driver from the computer manufacturer / assembler, but from the video card manufacturer. In other words, personally I would skip the Gigabyte driver and go for the NVidia driver directly. The "module" manufacturer knows best what's suited for that module (in this case, the video card one).

Apart from that, I just tested starting my computer in Safe Mode. It started flickering like hell even from toogling the Start menu on and off, LOL. Needless to say, I didn't have to run Rainmeter to realize it will experience the same behavior. Like I said, the video card's default driver in Windows is just as bad as an outdated / inappropriate / badly configured video card driver from the video card manufacturer. And I don't have an NVidia video card, but an AMD one.
SAngeli

Post by SAngeli »

SilverAzide wrote: April 24th, 2020, 12:19 pm ...If, after trying the above you still see your problem, I suggest you try an experiment. Uninstall Rainmeter completely, then ... download Rainmeter 4.2. This version did not use Direct2D. Install it and, using the included Illustro skins only, see if the problems continue. If you still see flickering, you will pretty much have to live with it, as it is something unique to your machine.
Hi,
I did the test you asked me to do. Unfortunately, I was able to reproduce the issue.

As suggested, I tried to uninstall and install 2017 nVidia driver but it failed due to fact that the driver is too old. Install ended with an error.
I tried all possible solution but still I experience the same issue on top of that silly Windows behavior on Task Manager (I fixed the URL).

At this point I believe I will give up and try again to contact nVidia tech support and show them the new Task Manager video. If I will fail too with them, I will wait for when I will have money to rebuild a brand-new workstation. I am only sad because I know I did all things properly (I am in the IT for more than 35 years - which means nothing or a lot). I just fail to identify what is happening and am quite tired of investing the time this way with no results.

Many thanks, you all.....
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SAngeli wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:00 pmAs suggested, I tried to uninstall and install 2017 nVidia driver but it failed due to fact that the driver is too old. Install ended with an error.
I tried all possible solution but still I experience the same issue on top of that silly Windows behavior on Task Manager (I fixed the URL).
So, you didn't try to install the driver at https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us (the video card manufacturer, aka the recommended one), only the driver at https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N760OC-4GD-rev-21/support#support-dl-driver (the computer manufacturer driver, aka the 2017 one)? :uhuh: Try the actual NVidia driver (i.e. the first link) as well:
NVidia Driver.jpg
SAngeli wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:00 pmInstall ended with an error.
This should never happen. Something is wrong here. No matter how old is a driver, if it's suited for the module, the install should work smoothly, without errors. See above.
SAngeli wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:00 pmI tried all possible solution but still I experience the same issue on top of that silly Windows behavior on Task Manager (I fixed the URL).
I doubt you tried them all, but unfortunately, there are very few ways to know that for sure, from distance. By the way, what "silly Windows behavior on Task Manager" are you talking about? Sorry, I just watched the video - the issue is almost certainly related to the flickering in Rainmeter. Hopefully it's not a failing GPU card, but only a driver issue. So please install the recommended driver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Yincognito on April 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAngeli

Post by SAngeli »

Hi,
I tried to install both Gigabyte and nVidia drivers. All the time I checked to do a clean install. It did not work.
GigaByte driver interrupted with an error being unable to install.
nVidia driver told me that the driver is too old for the operating system I am running.

You have to download it as it does not play on Firefox or other browsers.
Last edited by SAngeli on June 14th, 2020, 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SAngeli wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:26 pmGigaByte driver interrupted with an error being unable to install.
nVidia driver told me that the driver is too old for the operating system I am running.
You mean the 2020 NVidia driver told you it's too old for your video card?! :jawdrop That's impossible. O.O
And I still think something is wrong with the Gigabyte driver error. Take a look at my previous post, as I edited it in the meantime (it should have a screenshot).
I'm beginning to get tired by the slowness of Rainmeter.net lately. It's like that for nearly a week now...