It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:54 pm

All Gadgets flash

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
SAngeli

All Gadgets flash

Post by SAngeli »

Hi,
I run a fresh installed copy of Windows 10 Pro x64 with a Gigabyte GeForce GTX760 N760OC-4GD rev. 2.1 GPU (latest driver version).
I run Rainmeter ver. 4.3.1 and for the first time I noticed something very strange and disturbing, though something I found already in this Forum, but being dated.

Anytime I "select and move" a desktop icon all Gadgets being installed flash once. This happen regardless of the kind of gadget being installed.

It is very annoying, but I failed to find out the cause of it. I tried to uninstall GPU drivers and do a clean install but this also happen in Windows Safe Mode with no GPU drivers.

Anyone can please help me out troubleshooting this wrong and upleasant behavior? I also tried to install latest beta version of Rainmeter but the issue was not resolved.

Gadgets being installed are: Gasgets by SilverAzide ver 5.3.1, Top Process Meter, HTC sense clocks #2, ModernGadgets and MINIWeatherPRO 36Hours

Many thanks
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: All Gadgets flash

Post by SilverAzide »

It sounds from your description that it does not matter which skins you have loaded. It also seems that the problem is somewhat unique to you; no one else appears to be having this particular issue. Just as a test, have you tried enabling and/or disabling "hardware acceleration"? From the Rainmeter menu, select "Manage", then on the "Settings" tab, try unchecking (or checking) the "Use hardware acceleration" option. You will need to stop Rainmeter and restart it to see the effects.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
SAngeli

Post by SAngeli »

Hi,
I tried to enable hardware acceleration and restarted Rainmeter but it did even worst. It is even more evident the flashing. So, I disabled it.
Please let me know...
Thanks
Last edited by SAngeli on June 14th, 2020, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SAngeli wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 6:13 am Here is the link, which I will keep it temporarely.
Try to unload all skins except one or two (doesn't matter which one do you left loaded, important is to have only one or maximum two loaded). Check if the flash still ocurs. Does it?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Interesting... I really don't see this as a big deal. Mildly annoying, yes. Something seems to be affecting Rainmeter and the window refresh cycle of the skins. I see in your meters that you are running a number of Corsair and Adobe utilities or services. Have you tried stopping them temporarily to see if one of them is affecting Rainmeter? This looks like some issue with Windows and your graphics card, especially since you say you have to disable hardware acceleration. That is a big indicator of a graphics card issue. You have a dual monitor setup, correct? Have you tried temporarily changing to a single monitor to see what happens?
SAngeli

Post by SAngeli »

balala wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 10:11 am Try to unload all skins except one or two (doesn't matter which one do you left loaded, important is to have only one or maximum two loaded). Check if the flash still ocurs. Does it?
Hi and many thanks for your help. I tried as you asked me and nothing changes. even with one Gadget it behaves the same way.
I even tried to load only Illustro Gadgets which is what it comes with but did not find any solution.
SAngeli

Post by SAngeli »

SilverAzide wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 3:17 pm ...Something seems to be affecting Rainmeter and the window refresh cycle of the skins. ... are running a number of Corsair and Adobe utilities or services. ...This looks like some issue with Windows and your graphics card, especially since you say you have to disable hardware acceleration. That is a big indicator of a graphics card issue. You have a dual monitor setup, correct? Have you tried temporarily changing to a single monitor to see what happens?
Hi and thanks again for helping me out.
1. as previously stated, this behavior happens even in Safe Mode with all services and drivers disabled except nVidia driver. So, this should answer most of your questions
2. Hardware acceleration I found it, in Rainmeter, disabled. So, all I did was trying to enable it as per your request
3. I do have three monitors all the same brand and model. I have 3 Dell UltraSharp U 2415 16:10
They are connected to my GTX 760 this way: 1 via HDMI cable, 1 via DisplayPort, 1 via DVI/HDMI cable

Moreover, through the assistance of nVidia Support I did troubleshoot the GPU and it function properly. I did several stress tests without any error.
I also render with Premiere Pro and do not have issues: the GPU functions fine. As for the driver I do not know but I fail to say.

I hope I answered to all the questions. What can be done?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SAngeli wrote: April 24th, 2020, 9:42 am I tried as you asked me and nothing changes.
It couldn't either, not this was my intention. Question is that when you unloaded all skins except the one or two, check the loaded skins in the Manage dialog. Is there any not visible skin? I thought that maybe there is a skin which has no visible elements (not impossible) and that is causing the flash. Was just an idea, but probably it worth trying it.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

SAngeli wrote: April 24th, 2020, 9:49 amI hope I answered to all the questions. What can be done?
I think you have a problem with Direct2D and your graphics driver. Does your PC have an Intel GPU in addition to your nVidia one? If so, have you installed the latest Intel graphics drivers? Make sure you do that. Does your BIOS allow turning off the Intel GPU? You could try that to force your PC to always use the nVidia graphics.

The fact that you cannot run Rainmeter with hardware acceleration turned on is a big clue that something is wrong. If, after trying the above you still see your problem, I suggest you try an experiment. Uninstall Rainmeter completely, then go HERE and download Rainmeter 4.2. This version did not use Direct2D. Install it and, using the included Illustro skins only, see if the problems continue. If you still see flickering, you will pretty much have to live with it, as it is something unique to your machine.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: April 24th, 2020, 12:19 pm The fact that you cannot run Rainmeter with hardware acceleration turned on is a big clue that something is wrong.
Reading a lot of posts here on the forum, I have the feeling that the hardware acceleration causes a lot of troubles for many - many users. For me definitely, I don't even use it, although my video card driver is up to date (I hope...). For instance just something I remember exactly: when I posted my Mirage suite back in November, I got comments from more users (eg eclectic-tech or krakoukas), who didn't get one of the skins working well, unless they deactivated the hardware acceleration. Me can't use it either, get a lot of problems whenever I turn it on. Might be a good thing if it is working well, but for me (and I think for many) it doesn't.
Unfortunately...