It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 9:14 am

Rainmeter wont run in admin mode unless tried several times?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
fonpaolo

Re: Rainmeter wont run in admin mode unless tried several times?

Post by fonpaolo »

I use Windows 10 Pro and I confirm that Rainmeter is the last program displayed, but one of the first that's being launched, it remains idle until the system has loaded all his components.

For the last question, you can use Task Manager.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote: April 19th, 2020, 6:40 pm I use Windows 10 Pro and I confirm that Rainmeter is the last program displayed, but one of the first that's being launched, it remains idle until the system has loaded all his components.
It looks to be idle only while it loads the appropriate skins. This, depending on the skins which have to be loaded and your computer, can take up to one - two minutes.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

One can use Task Scheduler to load programs at every user logon, but with a delay.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

balala wrote: April 19th, 2020, 7:23 pm It looks to be idle only while it loads the appropriate skins. This, depending on the skins which have to be loaded and your computer, can take up to one - two minutes.
I don't know what kind of computer you've tested, how many skins it loads and how much complex calculations it has to do at startup, but my computers only take a few seconds to load about 30 skins, and, as I said, Rainmeter stays idle until my systems have loaded all their components.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Hello again.

So this issue persists for me.

As a few have said, RM sits idle until thing in system finish. That seems not to be the issue though. RM is loaded but is unresponsive sitting inert in the system tray. Then I have no choice but to open Task Manager to end the Rainmeter task, and try again, and again, and again.

Eventually Rainmeter loads - sometimes on the first try - in Admin mode - but that does not seem to be the key to my issue, since even not in Admin mode RM sits frozen inert in the system tray, with an icon that is unresponsive.

I am only going over this again in the hopes that a possible cause, and therefore a possible solution might arise.

Yincognito's TaskSchd was really creative, but for my purposes Rainmeter has to be enabled by the human user and not a scheduled task. (i did recently use it to load a device interface that was being bumped by a newer version of the same maker's design for yet another device though, so hooray!).

What gets me is a figuratively "dumber" PC ran Rainmeter on the absolute first try every time, so that irks me just a wee tad there.

So I necro'd this in the hopes someone came across a possible solution since last month (April 2020) ....
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Are you by chance running any skins using any 3rd-party plugin(s)?
If so, try unloading those skins and restarting your PC to see if that helps.

You could try to perform a "clean" uninstall, and re-install Rainmeter and see if the default illustro works correctly.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/clean-rainmeter-uninstall/
(Just make sure to backup your skins folder and any installed plugins.)

Is there any "debug" messages in the log?
You can turn on "debug mode" here: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#Logging
Once you "kill" your frozen Rainmeter process, post your log file here before restarting Rainmeter, since the log file will be overwritten when restarted.

Other than those things, I am not sure what else can be done since none of the developers can replicated this behavior.

-Brian