It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:06 am

New Shape Meter

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.0 beta cycle.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: New Shape Meter

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: April 18th, 2020, 6:19 am jsmorley, I still ask you to let me know what have you used for that conversion. It's theAzack9's Vector Converter, or there is something else as well?
Thank you for your answer.
As far as I remember jsmorley mentioning, InkScape as well. But better to wait for him confirming this, of course.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: April 18th, 2020, 6:19 am jsmorley, I still ask you to let me know what have you used for that conversion. It's theAzack9's Vector Converter, or there is something else as well?
Thank you for your answer.
Yes. I found a .svg version of the image on the internet somewhere, and used theAzack9's converter to turn it into Shape meters.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

jsmorley wrote: April 18th, 2020, 11:19 am Yes. I found a .svg version of the image on the internet somewhere, and used theAzack9's converter to turn it into Shape meters.
This explains everything...
I tried to convert a simple image, only one color on a completely transparent background, but InkScape has given up! :lol:

I hope sooner or later to find at least some time to try to recreate at least some images as vectors. :(
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: April 18th, 2020, 11:19 am Yes. I found a .svg version of the image on the internet somewhere, and used theAzack9's converter to turn it into Shape meters.
Ok, thanks. Will try it, because I'm curious.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: April 18th, 2020, 1:52 pm Ok, thanks. Will try it, because I'm curious.
Yeah, I'm not at all sure I recommend trying to convert complex raster images to vector. The "Trace bitmap" functionality in Inkscape is a bit complicated, and it can be tricky indeed to get decent results.

It's possible, but in general you end up with dozens, hundreds, thousands of Shape meters in order to get a decent result.

1.jpg

So that uses over 10,000 lines of Rainmeter code to create the insanely complicated "paths" needed to get the color gradations in that image.

I think the Shape meter is better suited for "shapes". They can be any color(s) and reasonably complex is fine, but they should be "drawings", and not "paintings", if you see what I mean.

You certainly can create shapes in Inkscape, which is a pretty decent drawing tool, or you can find just tons of vector clipart for free on the internet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: April 18th, 2020, 2:06 pm The "Trace bitmap" functionality in Inkscape is a bit complicated, and it can be tricky indeed to get decent results.
Now I'm not sure I understand this. You said nothing about InkScape when explained how have you created the Shape meter. You said:
So, now is or is not InkScape needed?
Or with InkScape you can convert an image to a vector graphic, then theAzack9's converter will be used to create the Shape meter? Am I right?
(Sorry my graphic processing skills are close to zero).
jsmorley wrote: April 18th, 2020, 2:06 pm So that uses over 10,000 lines of Rainmeter code to create the insanely complicated "paths" needed to get the color gradations in that image.

I think the Shape meter is better suited for "shapes". They can be any color(s) and reasonably complex is fine, but they should be "drawings", and not "paintings", if you see what I mean.
For sure, I see. However it worth a try. Just to see how does it work.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: April 18th, 2020, 2:21 pm Now I'm not sure I understand this. You said nothing about InkScape when explained how have you created the Shape meter. You said:

So, now is or is not InkScape needed?
Or with InkScape you can convert an image to a vector graphic, then theAzack9's converter will be used to create the Shape meter? Am I right?
(Sorry my graphic processing skills are close to zero).

For sure, I see. However it worth a try. Just to see how does it work.
For the Mona Lisa example, I just found a version of it already converted to .svg (vector) and used theAzack9's converter to make the Shape meters.

If you only have a .png/.jpg (raster) image, you will want to use Inkscape to "Trace bitmap" and convert the pixel-based raster image to path-based vector. Then save the .svg and use theAzack9's converter.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: April 18th, 2020, 2:27 pm For the Mona Lisa example, I just found a version of it already converted to .svg (vector) and used theAzack9's converter to make the Shape meters.

If you only have a .png/.jpg (raster) image, you will want to use Inkscape to "Trace bitmap" and convert the pixel-based raster image to path-based vector. Then save the .svg and use theAzack9's converter.
This was my thought as well, but anyway thanks for the confirmation. Gonna give it a try soon, to see how does it work.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Based on my very limited experience, I think I'll convert my images with InkScape, by tracing the vectors using the image as a reference, it'll be much faster.

Since we're talking about Shape meter, to correctly position an ellipse, using x and y values of an image the reference is top left, is it the same with Shape?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

fonpaolo wrote: April 18th, 2020, 6:20 pmSince we're talking about Shape meter, to correctly position an ellipse, using x and y values of an image the reference is top left, is it the same with Shape?
I don't think it's the case with the Ellipse shape (the reference being the top-left corner, I mean). As per the manual:

Note on Ellipse: The shape is drawn centered on the position defined by CenterX and CenterY. In a sense, it draws from the center out. Be sure that CenterX and CenterY, or the X and Y on the meter, leave enough room in the overall skin to not truncate the shape at the left and top. (reference)

The way I understand this is that the reference is the center of the ellipse.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth