It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:29 am

New UsageMonitor plugin

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.2 beta cycle.
fonpaolo

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

Post by fonpaolo »

It mainly depends on how you use it, if it doesn't bother you or create problems what is kindly granted by "them", then it's ok, but if you are used to a system where you decide what you want and how you want it, then it's not the best.

It's very frustrating and time consuming having to go through multiple steps to get what you would've done with a click or two in previous versions.

Jump list, even the whole color customization are now limited or broken, not to mention an endless scroll to enable or disable something in the "new" PC settings, before it was a small window with everything there at your hands.

Do I have to continue? :thumbdown:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 8:26 pm not to mention an endless scroll to enable or disable something in the "new" PC settings, before it was a small window with everything there at your hands.
Windows 10 also has the old Control Panel, if you like it more.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Luddites are so cute....
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

balala wrote: April 17th, 2020, 8:39 pm Windows 10 also has the old Control Panel, if you like it more.
Yes, but some "options" are now missing and sooner or later it will be permanently eliminated.

Now you have many customization options, light or dark, dark or light... try to change the system colors of a window border or background without some "hacks", themes? only some settings are used, they're all on the registry but aren't working anymore.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

jsmorley wrote: April 17th, 2020, 8:41 pm Luddites are so cute....
Sorry jsmorley, I still complain like as in the old days...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

fonpaolo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 8:58 pm Sorry jsmorley, I still complain like as in the old days...
Couldn't reply sooner as I've taken a nap in the meantime :oops: , but I agree with you on the W10 hiding stuff and MS criticism. MS are just incompetents these days, W10 is downright offensive, dangerous and defies users like many of the big companies' products in all areas (this attitude goes beyond software or economics nowadays, but that's another - albeit related - topic) ... however, apart from that, the OS is quite stable (bar some major updates breaking stuff, see incompetence) and closer to W7 rather than Vista/W8 in terms of "overall feeling" when using it.

That being said, a lot has to do with the version you're using, the additional software you install to help you fight its shortcommings, and the ways one finds to make the OS do things his way and not the company's ways (the so called "hacks"). Other than that, regarding user opinions, it's hard to convince people that something is not the way it should be, especially when one comes from a free and highly customisable environment and the other is either getting used to or brainwashed into accepting a more or less restricted and obtuse environment. Human nature is something of a paradox: while having the great advantage of being able to use intelligence to take decisions, it's still subject of self-inflicting damage options being shoved down their throats (willingly or not)... :headbang:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

We will be removing support for Windows 7 from Rainmeter very soon. It's as dead as the passenger pigeon, and we are not going to continue to build "branches" and "tests" in order to support it. Time to move on.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: April 18th, 2020, 2:05 am We will be removing support for Windows 7 from Rainmeter very soon. It's as dead as the passenger pigeon, and we are not going to continue to build "branches" and "tests" in order to support it. Time to move on.
I've been anticipating this and prepared for it. Not a surprise, not a problem. ;-)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: April 18th, 2020, 2:05 am We will be removing support for Windows 7 from Rainmeter very soon. It's as dead as the passenger pigeon, and we are not going to continue to build "branches" and "tests" in order to support it. Time to move on.
That's good. Since Windows 7 support is over and as time passes, it'll become less and less used and increasingly dangerous to use, slightly comes a moment when we should renounce to use it. Sorry, but time is passing and I think we have to move on (as you said).
That's it...
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

The fact that support is over doesn't imply that is no longer possible to use an old operating system...
I still have a computer whose OS is Windows XP and another one whose OS is Windows 7, both up and running. :thumbup:
Obviously they don't have internet access. ;-)