It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:55 pm

New UsageMonitor plugin

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.2 beta cycle.
fonpaolo

Re: New UsageMonitor plugin

Post by fonpaolo »

Temperatures and whatnot were already added in version 1903, if I recall correctly, but you need new hardware, with "older" computers this won't work.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Jeff wrote: April 17th, 2020, 12:32 pm https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/at-home/Whats-new-wip-at-home-20h1#gpu-temperature-comes-to-task-manager-build-18963
Temperatures are coming to UsageMonitor, now MSIAfterburner and what other plugins that are out there can be killed
EDIT: Nevermind, just remembered CPU temp still isn't, so you'll have to keep external plugins for that
Yeah, not only that, but temperatures for specific CPU/GPU items (i.e. CPU1, CPU2, etc., GPU1, GPU2, etc.) are not available. While not essential, this, coupled with the fact that I'm pretty sure it won't work for the vast majority of chipsets (like FonPaolo also mentioned), makes this a nice attempt, but nothing more. I have no idea why they waited that long to try to add these features, they should have been present from the early MS operating systems. Sure, the huge number of hardware that need to be considered is an issue, but an OS should be capable of getting that data nevertheless. If software like HWiNFO or MSI AB can, the OS should (and should have been right from the start) as well.

For me personally, MSI AB provides more than the sensor data values themselves. I can display a MSI AB + Riva Tuner "skin" in D3D apps (e.g. games and other) using a hotkey, showing much of what Rainmeter does while in desktop mode (i.e. CPUs/GPUs clocks/usages/temps/mems, RAM/PageFile stats, FPS), plus it can take screenshots or records movies of the screen in both D3D mode and desktop mode - all that for free. Microsoft has to go a long way to reach the amount of features such a software provides (along with sharing data so that various other software plugins can display it)...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

True, these features had to be added a long time ago. :thumbdown:

Last year, when my beloved Windows 7 was approaching its end, sigh, I've been very tempted to switch to Linux, I tried it and I have to admit I was very impressed: the battery status of my wireless mouse is also available natively, there.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 3:38 pm Last year, when my beloved Windows 7 was approaching its end, sigh, I've been very tempted to switch to Linux, I tried it and I have to admit I was very impressed: the battery status of my wireless mouse is also available natively, there.
Yes, but Linux has a great disadvantage: you can't run Rainmeter on it. Extremely disappointing...
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Well, balala, why do you think I'm still using this ugly* Windows 10?
* to be polite...

Obviously depends what kind of "flavour" you use, but if there had been an easy way to convert my Rainmeter skins for Linux, I would have left Windows immediately.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 6:12 pm Well, balala, why do you think I'm still using this ugly* Windows 10?
Why, what are you using? Because practically since Windows 7 is finished (dead, whatever...) and Windows 8 / 8.1 is... (well, don't say how it is), I think right now there is no alternative to Windows 10. Supposing you wanna use Windows (and even more Rainmeter). Not mention that I suppose sooner or later Windows 8 will also be ended.
fonpaolo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 6:12 pm Obviously depends what kind of "flavour" you use, but if there had been an easy way to convert my Rainmeter skins for Linux, I would have left Windows immediately.
As you probably know, Rainmeter doesn't run on Linux.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

In the last years I moved from XP to 7, then, now 10.

I don't remember having so many problems trying to set up Windows as I wanted as with Windows 10.
I've never used so much Regedit trying to fix things "the organization" has established for me, even if I don't want.

It's already ridiculous when you read "some settings are managed by the organization".
...what organization? :twisted:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm In the last years I moved from XP to 7, then, now 10.
:o OMG!!!!! Windows XP is dead by many years. :o For now Windows 7 is also. :thumbdown: Yep, I understood you've went forward to Windows 10, but only now, right?
fonpaolo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 7:07 pm I don't remember having so many problems trying to set up Windows as I wanted as with Windows 10.
Don't know what to say, because I had no problems with Windows 10. And in fact I like it extremely. I love this regular update (upgrade?) of it, twice a year, and love Ms has renounced to the Service Pack concept. If I'm not mistaken, a major update is about to be released. Let's see...
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

balala wrote: April 17th, 2020, 7:30 pm ... If I'm not mistaken, a major update is about to be released. Let's see...
...what "they" will break, remove, hide and change in the worst way, this time.

Sorry, I've had to deal with every single version of Windows since 3, each had its pros and cons, their first disaster was Vista, then 8 and now 10.
But this time they left no alternatives.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote: April 17th, 2020, 7:42 pm their first disaster was Vista, then 8 and now 10.
I agree Vista and 8 have been disasters, but don't agree with 10 being so, because as said, I love it.
But probably each with his own opinion...