It is currently April 18th, 2024, 1:45 am

Not sure if this is even possible, so have to ask.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Beuwolf

Not sure if this is even possible, so have to ask.

Post by Beuwolf »

Hey all,

Found something I thought be useful for me, but it is centered around the full screen, which is a tad to much for me, having a 43'' screen I'm working on. :oops:

So, I made a more portable one instead which works fine. But (there is always a but aint it ?), what I would like to make is so the guide lines can stay within the 'portable' ruler skin, like in the picture below. As it is now each guide lines is a separate .ini file and have to be moved around manually. Which sort of works, but would be so much easier if they could be 'attached' to the full skin. Well, I can add them to the skin, but they end up as static lines, not movable. :(

The original files can be found over here at Rulers and Guides (Rainmeter) made by Ivaran.

As the title says though, I'm not sure if this is possible, but had to ask instead of going bonkers trying something impossible ! :o

So the question to ask first I guess would be, can it be done ??

Rainmeter and Windows Version

Code: Select all

Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 (64-bit)
Language: English (1033)
Build time: 2019-09-22  7:26:11
Commit Hash: 0ba4dfc4
Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit (build 18363) - Swedish (1053)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
SkinPath: C:\Users\TS\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
SettingsPath: C:\Users\TS\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\TS\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Looking forward to your replies ! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Not sure if this is even possible, so have to ask.

Post by balala »

Beuwolf wrote: March 25th, 2020, 12:15 pm So the question to ask first I guess would be, can it be done ??
I suppose it can. There is only one inconvenience: the guide lines won't be draggable. This means that those lines, if used each as an individual skin, can be dragged with the mouse, but if you add them to the Test_Rulers.ini skin, you can't drag them, only manually can set new positions for them. If this is not a too big inconvenience, here is my approach.
Unload all skins from the Guides config (if there is any loaded). Add two new variables to the [Variables] section of the Ruler Remade\X & Y Ruler\Test_Rulers.ini skin:

[Variables]
HorizontalPos=38
VerticalPos=38
These are the distances from the edge of the skin to the guide lines.
Finally add the following four meters, to the end of the Ruler Remade\X & Y Ruler\Test_Rulers.ini skin (after the [NV10] meter):

[GuideHorizontal1]
Meter=Shape
;Shape=Rectangle 0,15,1100,6 | StrokeWidth 0 | Fill Color 0,0,0,1
Shape=Line 0,#HorizontalPos#,#CURRENTCONFIGWIDTH#,#HorizontalPos# | Stroke Color 4affff
LeftMouseUpAction=-
MouseActionCursor=1
MouseActionCursorName=DragH.cur
DynamicVariables=1

[GuideHorizontal2]
Meter=Shape
;Shape=Rectangle 0,15,1100,6 | StrokeWidth 0 | Fill Color 0,0,0,1
Shape=Line 0,(#CURRENTCONFIGHEIGHT#-#HorizontalPos#),#CURRENTCONFIGWIDTH#,(#CURRENTCONFIGHEIGHT#-#HorizontalPos#) | Stroke Color 4affff
LeftMouseUpAction=-
MouseActionCursor=1
DynamicVariables=1

[GuideVertical1]
Meter=Shape
;Shape=Rectangle 15,0,6,#CURRENTCONFIGHEIGHT# | StrokeWidth 0 | Fill Color 0,0,0,1
Shape=Line #VerticalPos#,0,#VerticalPos#,#CURRENTCONFIGHEIGHT# | Stroke Color 4affff
LeftMouseUpAction=-
MouseActionCursor=1
DynamicVariables=1

[GuideVertical2]
Meter=Shape
;Shape=Rectangle 15,0,6,#CURRENTCONFIGHEIGHT# | StrokeWidth 0 | Fill Color 0,0,0,1
Shape=Line (#CURRENTCONFIGWIDTH#-#VerticalPos#),0,(#CURRENTCONFIGWIDTH#-#VerticalPos#),#CURRENTCONFIGHEIGHT# | Stroke Color 4affff
LeftMouseUpAction=-
MouseActionCursor=1
DynamicVariables=1
Note that these meters add the lines in pairs. Two horizontal and two vertical lines are added, same distanced from the edges of the skin.
Is this what you wanted?
Beuwolf

Post by Beuwolf »

balala wrote: March 25th, 2020, 6:17 pm I suppose it can. There is only one inconvenience: the guide lines won't be draggable. This means that those lines, if used each as an individual skin, can be dragged with the mouse...
Well, that is that then. Was hoping to have them draggable but as I mentioned, wasn't sure if it was possible. Now, I know it is not possible.

Those 4 guide lines that are shown in my picture are as you mentioned individual skins, forgot to point that out in my original post, sorry. :(
balala wrote: March 25th, 2020, 6:17 pm Note that these meters add the lines in pairs. Two horizontal and two vertical lines are added, same distanced from the edges of the skin.
Is this what you wanted?
Nope, it wasn't but I appreciate that you took the time and come with a suggestion ! :thumbup:

Just have to use the extra individual skins as extra rulers to get more precise measurements when needed.

Thanks again for your reply !! :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Beuwolf wrote: March 25th, 2020, 7:18 pm Those 4 guide lines that are shown in my picture are as you mentioned individual skins, forgot to point that out in my original post, sorry. :(
No, you didn't. You told this in your initial post:
Beuwolf wrote: March 25th, 2020, 12:15 pm As it is now each guide lines is a separate .ini file and have to be moved around manually.
Beuwolf wrote: March 25th, 2020, 7:18 pm Nope, it wasn't but I appreciate that you took the time and come with a suggestion ! :thumbup:

Just have to use the extra individual skins as extra rulers to get more precise measurements when needed.
Yep, but if you use extra skins, there you have a problem: it's extremely hard (or even more: practically close to impossible) to get the lines moving together with the skin, when you drag it. Their width / height is again too hard to match the size of the skin. And so on...
Why those lines are not what you asked for? Because I'm not sure why. There only inconvenience (at least as far as I can say), is that they are not draggable. Is there any other which I didn't notice?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

@balala

You forgot your work on Alignment Grids

I have an updated version that can be set to any resolution, if less than full screen is desired...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: March 25th, 2020, 8:50 pm You forgot your work on Alignment Grids

I have an updated version that can be set to any resolution, if less than full screen is desired...
Did I? Yep, probably I did, but indeed I forgot. Let's see if you updated version meets Beuwolf's needs.
Beuwolf

Post by Beuwolf »

balala wrote: March 25th, 2020, 7:30 pm No, you didn't. You told this in your initial post:
Whops.. so I did.. O.O :oops:
balala wrote: March 25th, 2020, 7:30 pm Yep, but if you use extra skins, there you have a problem: it's extremely hard (or even more: practically close to impossible) to get the lines moving together with the skin, when you drag it. Their width / height is again too hard to match the size of the skin. And so on...
Why those lines are not what you asked for? Because I'm not sure why. There only inconvenience (at least as far as I can say), is that they are not draggable. Is there any other which I didn't notice?
No, there was only those 4 guide lines that I kept from the original skin. My idea was to have a smaller size with draggable guide lines to use as a measure reader when doing other skins, if needed to find out exact X and Y measures. So if I could have had a 1100x600 ruler with movable guide lines that would been better then the original skin, since as I mentioned, having a big 43'' 3840x2160 resolution monitor makes it a tad inconvenient to use the original skin.
eclectic-tech wrote: March 25th, 2020, 8:50 pm @balala

You forgot your work on Alignment Grids

Hi eclectic-tech, funnily enough I found that skin just a few hours ago when I was using google to search for something similar in regards to this. Didn't see how I could set it to another resolution though, or is that skin elsewhere ?? If so, mind posting a link ?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Beuwolf wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:16 pm No, there was only those 4 guide lines that I kept from the original skin. My idea was to have a smaller size with draggable guide lines to use as a measure reader when doing other skins, if needed to find out exact X and Y measures. So if I could have had a 1100x600 ruler with movable guide lines that would been better then the original skin, since as I mentioned, having a big 43'' 3840x2160 resolution monitor makes it a tad inconvenient to use the original skin.
Oh, now I understand. Hope eclectic-tech's skin is well enough for you.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Beuwolf wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:16 pm ...Hi eclectic-tech, funnily enough I found that skin just a few hours ago when I was using google to search for something similar in regards to this. Didn't see how I could set it to another resolution though, or is that skin elsewhere ?? If so, mind posting a link ?
I attached a scale-able version. You only need to edit 'AlignmentGrid.ini' and set the 'SCALER" variable to reduce the size of the grids between 0~1; remember that decimal values must have an integer value, so to display a grid half your screen resolution, set SCALER=0.5.
AG-scale.png

The skin will set it's initial position at 0,0; you can hold the left mouse button down on the "grid type box" and drag it to any screen position. To change that behavior, remove the !Move command from the OnRefreshAtion in [Rainmeter] section.

You can resize the grid dimension by scrolling over the rulers, dim the grid by clicking on the ruler move away and release the mouse button (left-click the ruler to undo the dimming), etc. All options are explained in the 'About.txt' file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beuwolf

Post by Beuwolf »

eclectic-tech wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:57 pm I attached a scale-able version. You only need to edit 'AlignmentGrid.ini' and set the 'SCALER" variable to reduce the size of the grids between 0~1; remember that decimal values must have an integer value, so to display a grid half your screen resolution, set SCALER=0.5.

The skin will set it's initial position at 0,0; you can hold the left mouse button down on the "grid type box" and drag it to any screen position. To change that behavior, remove the !Move command from the OnRefreshAtion in [Rainmeter] section.

You can resize the grid dimension by scrolling over the rulers, dim the grid by clicking on the ruler move away and release the mouse button (left-click the ruler to undo the dimming), etc. All options are explained in the 'About.txt' file.
Thanks eclectic-tech !! I downloaded it and have playing around with it a bit, much better now when it is scalable and placed anywhere on the screen ! :thumbup: