Developer

Re: RainRGB4.exe help and questions

Post by jsmorley »

Hackit wrote: March 15th, 2020, 7:21 pmit's working,
Ah, great!
Hackit

Post by Hackit »

should i start a new post for new questions? i feel bad starting new posts as i dont want to clog up the forum.
please let me know, tnx.

here's my question, i thought i had the right code but just noticed my text was overlapping.
i'm sure this is easy but when i search i find other answers not related to my issue.
here's my code
[MeterTempCurrent]
MeasureName2=@CurrentTemperature
MeasureName=@CurrentConditions
Meter=String
X=(-5*0.50)r
Y=(43*0.50)r
InlineSetting=Face | Walkway Expand Black
InlineSetting2=Color | #CurrentTemp#
InlineSetting3=Size | 14
InlineSetting4=Weight | 300
StringEffect=SHADOW
StringAlign=right
AntiAlias=1
Text="%1, %2"
Postfix="°"

[MeterTodayHighLow]
MeasureName=@CurrentTemperatureHigh
MeasureName2=@CurrentTemperatureHighSymbol
MeasureName3=@CurrentTemperatureLow
MeasureName4=@CurrentTemperatureLowSymbol
Meter=String
X=(-450*0.50)r
Y=(9*0.50)r
InlineSetting2=Color | #Temphilow#
InlineSetting3=Size | 12
StringEffect=SHADOW
StringAlign=right
AntiAlias=1
;Text="Today, HI/LOW"
so i have current and the high low on the same line. just saw the current weather had extra words and rather than the high low moving as the current weather grew. the text overlapped.
i thought X=(-450*0.50)r this was the fix. but apparently it's not.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't – you're right”

DeviantArt Profile
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Hackit wrote: March 17th, 2020, 1:48 am should i start a new post for new questions? i feel bad starting new posts as i dont want to clog up the forum.
please let me know, tnx.

here's my question, i thought i had the right code but just noticed my text was overlapping.
i'm sure this is easy but when i search i find other answers not related to my issue.
here's my code
[MeterTempCurrent]
MeasureName2=@CurrentTemperature
MeasureName=@CurrentConditions
Meter=String
X=(-5*0.50)r
Y=(43*0.50)r
InlineSetting2=Color | #CurrentTemp#
InlineSetting3=Size | 14
StringEffect=SHADOW
StringAlign=right
AntiAlias=1
Text="%1, %2"
Postfix="°"

[MeterTodayHighLow]
MeasureName=@CurrentTemperatureHigh
MeasureName2=@CurrentTemperatureHighSymbol
MeasureName3=@CurrentTemperatureLow
MeasureName4=@CurrentTemperatureLowSymbol
Meter=String
X=(-450*0.50)r
Y=(9*0.50)r
InlineSetting2=Color | #Temphilow#
InlineSetting3=Size | 12
StringEffect=SHADOW
StringAlign=right
AntiAlias=1
;Text="Today, HI/LOW"
so i have current and the high low on the same line. just saw the current weather had extra words and rather than the high low moving as the current weather grew. the text overlapped.
i thought X=(-450*0.50)r this was the fix. but apparently it's not.
Question: you want your skin to have a fixed width? Or you're OK with it dynamically changing its width?

The reason I'm asking this is because there are several ways to deal with the issue you mentioned:
  • Abbreviate the current condition text (this isn't ideal from a design POV, and also has the disadvantage that one doesn't know all the words that may appear in the text in order to abbreviate them) - this allows the skin to have a fixed width
  • Use an ActionTimer or another "classic" way to make the text "roll" / "slide" (i.e. marquee style) - slightly more complicated, but allows fixed width as well
  • Dynamically change the width of your skin according to the length of the current condition text - this involves making changes to the X/Y/W/H of (probably) all the meters in your skin, in order to adapt to that dynamic width
  • A relatively easier option could be to "move" the current condition text to a different line / row in the skin, center it and allow it to wrap on multiple lines, if necessary (while changing the position of the elements below the text to be relative to the height of the text). Of course, this would mean that the height of the skin would be dynamic: most of the times, a single line / row would suffice for the text, but when it doesn't, the height of the skin would increase proportionally with the number of lines / rows. This is more or less the same as the previous choice but with the additional benefit of not needing to change the coordinates / dimensions of all the elements in the skin, just for the ones below the current condition text
Which one of these options would you like more? Or do you have another view on this?
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Hackit

Post by Hackit »

Yincognito wrote: March 17th, 2020, 11:51 am Question: you want your skin to have a fixed width? Or you're OK with it dynamically changing its width?
  • Dynamically change the width of your skin according to the length of the current condition text - this involves making changes to the X/Y/W/H of (probably) all the meters in your skin, in order to adapt to that dynamic width
Which one of these options would you like more? Or do you have another view on this?
This was the idea i was trying for, i thought i could have just the one row with two different lines of info adjust to text changing. if i changed the whole skin to allow this. would the whole skin move or just the one row to adjust for the extra text?

i may just move the line to it's own row or remove it, not sure yet.
thanks for the help.

DeviantArt Profile
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Hackit wrote: March 17th, 2020, 12:05 pmif i changed the whole skin to allow this. would the whole skin move or just the one row to adjust for the extra text?
Technically, the whole skin would have its width increased if the text length increased. Of course, if you do it correctly (and deal with all the coordinates / dimensions of the skin elements appropriately), there would be no discrepancies between the "visual" width of the line containing the text and the other lines in the skin (i.e. they will "synchronize" their widths, visually).
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

It's actually not needed to modify the coordinates of all the skin elements - it's enough to set only those aligned to the right and those that "span" over the skin's width (e.g. seconds bar, the references for the relative position of forecast icons/texts, etc).

For example, for a skin width increased by 200 pixels (not a dynamic width, just a larger one), the meter options that had to be modified were:
- X=(795*0.50)r in [MeterDate]
- X=(125*0.50) and StringAlign=left in [MeterTodayHighLow]
- X=(460*0.50) in [MeterDay3Icon]
- X=(780*0.50) in [MeterDay4Icon]
- W=(800*0.50) in [MeterLine1]
- W=(800*0.50) in [MeterSeconds]
Of course, it would have looked better if the location, time and current condition icon were horizontally centered in the skin as well, but that would involve similarly changing some of their options.

It's just these options that would need to be adjusted in a dynamic skin width scenario, but they would have to include [MeterTempCurrent:W] (i.e. the width of that meter) in the coordinate computation. It's going to be a bit "problematic", since that width is only known after the webpage source is parsed and data is retrieved (which happens after a slight "delay" compared to the skin load / refresh).
Hackit

Post by Hackit »

I have been busy and just found a few minutes to reply.
Just want to say thanks for the help and time you put into helping, it's just great.
what i have tried is based on something you pointed out. so far it works but i'm not sure if its a permanent solution yet.
i changed the align to left. so far it seems to work. both grow into each other so far.

DeviantArt Profile
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Hackit wrote: March 20th, 2020, 11:25 pm I have been busy and just found a few minutes to reply.
Just want to say thanks for the help and time you put into helping, it's just great.
what i have tried is based on something you pointed out. so far it works but i'm not sure if its a permanent solution yet.
i changed the align to left. so far it seems to work. both grow into each other so far.
Glad to help. I actually wrote a variant that made use of wrapping to solve the issue (the last option I mentioned earlier), but deleted in the meantime, assuming you got to a satisfactory result. ;-)