It is currently May 18th, 2024, 9:33 am

Weather not working?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Weather not working?

Post by Yincognito »

dasxardas wrote: March 8th, 2020, 10:07 am I'm very grateful to eclectic-tech, because he has made that skin live again. I made only cosmetic details, and few translate corrections. I don't hesitate to say that I'm not be able to make it works. All thanks should be redirected to eclectic-tech. :)
Of course. Both eclectic-tech and balala are nice people, always willing to help (like the vast majority here on this forum) - and I'm sure your gratitude to them is commendable and appreciated. I am too, I just don't like being used. Moderation, even when it comes to "good things", is both healthy and helpful - for both the giver and the taker. ;-)

Anyway, to conclude this, it's great that the skin became alive again. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it for a longer period than you did with wxdata. :thumbup:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
dasxardas

Post by dasxardas »

dvo wrote: March 8th, 2020, 10:37 am i replaced the 1.01 to a 1.02 same place try it and test it .... :Whistle if you try the dutch version nl-NL that one will bugg on the moon :jawdrop
fixed location was set on spain some where replaced it with locationcode
I don't know why is ignored middle parameter :( Also I cannot fix weather. It shows "Partly oblačno" and I don't know why. All texts should be the same as in other translations.
dasxardas

Post by dasxardas »

dvo wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:58 am
couldn't find out what's wrong with that i'm stuck :-(
... don't know how to fix this :confused: ...
so if the pro's can take a look at this... pretty please with sugar on top :D
Try this version. But I cannot fix that middle parameter feels like, but Slovak has been fixed and moon should be okay now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 8th, 2020, 9:59 am As you could see, the "beginner" was very much able to do small (and not so small) modifications to the skins, he just needed someone to do all the hard work for him.
Well, I don't know for sure who is a beginner and who not. The only thing i can appreciate is the number of posts. If that's small, I suppose he is a beginner and has no experience in working with Rainmeter codes. But obviously sometimes this isn't true.
Yincognito wrote: March 8th, 2020, 9:59 am That's life for you.
And you two just bit the bait - congratulations. :D
Right, but I accept.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: March 8th, 2020, 10:48 am Both eclectic-tech and balala are nice people, always willing to help (like the vast majority here on this forum) - and I'm sure your gratitude to them is commendable and appreciated.
Yes, it is. For sure. At least from my point of view.
Yincognito wrote: March 8th, 2020, 10:48 am I just don't like being used.
Probably no one likes, but I don't take this as being used.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

dasxardas wrote: March 8th, 2020, 12:28 pm Try this version. But I cannot fix that middle parameter feels like, but Slovak has been fixed and moon should be okay now.
I can see now why you like this skin so much. It looks great. Good job fixing stuff.
By the way, what "middle parameter" are you talking about? Also, the translation in some languages (like mine and balala's, for example) is aweful.
dasxardas

Post by dasxardas »

Yincognito wrote: March 8th, 2020, 1:42 pm I can see now why you like this skin so much. It looks great. Good job fixing stuff.
By the way, what "middle parameter" are you talking about? Also, the translation in some languages (like mine and balala's, for example) is aweful.
Thanks a lot.
We're talking about "Feels like" parameter Hitemp. Avg temp and Lotemp works properly, but on Hitemp is only red arrow and We don't know why. It is corrupted in all translations, so maybe it is bug in Rainmeter or maybe is this parameter changed with new datasource I really don't know.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, the "high" temperatures in this skin need some work. Not only does the "high" not display at all in the main area at the top right, but the value for it for "Today" in the section below is not right.

What you want to do is use the forecasted "Today's Temperature" for the "high" and "Tonight's Temperature" for the "low". Now, keep in mind that at some point in the afternoon, all of the forecast information for "Today" will suddenly be missing. You can't forecast the past. So you need to have an IfMatch on one of the values for "Today", and if it is missing, an empty string, you can just replace the missing value(s) with "---" or something pleasing, or alternatively, you can change to using the value returned in "MaxSince7am" as the "high" for the day. Don't use that value all the time, or it will be wrong most of the day. Use it AFTER the "Today" information becomes missing, and it will be correct.

In general, at some point in the afternoon, the entire "forecast" will switch from "Today" to "Tonight". The exception to this is the forecasted temperature, which during the day will be the "high" and at night will be the "low". If you want to always display both the "high" and the "low" for the entire day, you need to properly react to the transition from "Today" to "Tonight". That MaxSince7am value is in a sense how it "stores" the forecasted high temperature so you can still have it after it become impossible to forecast the past.

During the course of a day, the temperature will "rise", starting at sunrise, and will generally continue to rise throughout the day, until it reaches some peak value, and begins to "fall" as the sun sets. So the value for "MaxSince7am" will pretty much always be the same as the current temperature during the daylight hours, and then once the temperature has peaked and is beginning to fall, will be the "high" for the entire day. Since a cold front could certainly sweep in during the course of the daylight hours, and during the day it can always get hotter than it is right now, you don't want to use MaxSince7am at all during the day, it doesn't mean much. However, once the sun begins to set, you can be certain that MaxSince7am will be the "high" for the day. It just doesn't get hotter as it gets darker. That's just not a thing.

The logic of it is that given that what you are displaying is a "forecast", at some point in the afternoon you can't logically "forecast the past". The forecast for the icon to use, the conditions text, the percent of possible precipitation, the wind speed and direction, all that stuff becomes entirely pointless, and they just don't even return it. At that point, you can't get, and wouldn't want, a "forecast" of the days high temperature. What you want is a "history" of the highest temperature it reached during the day, and that is the role that MaxSince7am plays.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

dasxardas wrote: March 8th, 2020, 1:46 pm Thanks a lot.
We're talking about "Feels like" parameter Hitemp. Avg temp and Lotemp works properly, but on Hitemp is only red arrow and We don't know why. It is corrupted in all translations, so maybe it is bug in Rainmeter or maybe is this parameter changed with new datasource I really don't know.
Yep, jsmorley pretty much summed up what's up with that "parameter". Just replace it with "--" or " " if it's empty (i.e. ^$ in a regex substitute) and be done with it. In other words, it's not a malfunction or anything, this is the way weather.com (and wxdata as well, in the past) provide the temperatures. I guess it has to do with the fact that after 2 PM and such, they consider that the day's maximum (i.e. the High or Hi "parameter") temperature is in the past and isn't worth mentioning it anymore, and along with it the other data in the "daytime" section, after some point in the afternoon.

By the way, here you have the improved translation for Romanian language:
Romanian.inc.zip
(delete the .zip extension, as usual). The existing translation was not exactly accurate, if you know what I mean...

And since we're at it, be aware that in some translations there are missing or wrong characters (i.e. missing commas, wrong type of quotes, etc) - maybe that was the cause for some translations not working properly before. I encountered such stuff in the file I edited above, but they could be in other .inc translation files as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: March 8th, 2020, 2:40 pm I guess it has to do with the fact that after 2 PM and such, they consider that the day's maximum (i.e. the High or Hi "parameter") temperature is in the past and isn't worth mentioning it anymore, and along with it the other data in the "daytime" section, after some point in the afternoon.
The way that it works with weather.com is that there are two kinds of information it returns. The "current" information, and the "forecasted" information. The word "forecast" implies "future", and simply can't logically be used once the time frame being referenced is in the past. You can't forecast what you had for breakfast this morning, you can only remember what you had. That is the role the MaxSince7am plays in this. After some point in the afternoon, it is how weather.com "remembers" what the high temperature was during the day. it has the additional charm of being accurate. Any "forecast" is a guess. Keeping track and returning what actually "happened" is always going to be more reliable.