It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:41 pm

Rainmeter won't launch at all

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
RemyJane

Rainmeter won't launch at all

Post by RemyJane »

Hey everyone!

I'm new to Rainmeter and I just tried to get it to work, but nothing seems to help.
There are no errors during the installation or when trying to launch it.
I've tried to re-install Rainmeter (different versions), re-booted my pc (with and without Rainmeter installed), but whenever I double click (or try to launch as admin) nothing happens. The icon will appear within the tasks bar, but as soon as my cursor hovers above it just disappears. However, the task manager doesn't show any sign of the program when trying to launch.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

~RemyJane
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter won't launch at all

Post by balala »

RemyJane wrote: February 14th, 2020, 11:06 am Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?
I suppose there you have a skin which crashes Rainmeter immediately after it is launched (however if you didn't use it before, this is weird, but who knows). To try fixing it, remove the c:\Users\YOUR-NAME\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini file and try launching Rainmeter again. It should launch with the default illustro skins, which for sure don't have problems (unless you did modify them).
Does it start?
Just note that in such cases reinstalling Rainmeter rarely helps.
RemyJane

Post by RemyJane »

balala wrote: February 14th, 2020, 5:12 pm I suppose there you have a skin which crashes Rainmeter immediately after it is launched (however if you didn't use it before, this is weird, but who knows). To try fixing it, remove the c:\Users\YOUR-NAME\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini file and try launching Rainmeter again. It should launch with the default illustro skins, which for sure don't have problems (unless you did modify them).
Does it start?
Just note that in such cases reinstalling Rainmeter rarely helps.
I didn't install any theme so far. There's only the default theme that comes with the installation of Rainmeter.
Removing Rainmeter.ini does only help as far as getting it to not just disappear from my tasks when my cursor hovers above it. Clicking on it opens a settings panel, but it doesn't look anything like examples of starting Rainmeter for the first time. As soon as I try to load the default theme, it's crashing (no error however) :(
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

This is just my wild guess...what if you empty recycle bin before you launch Rainmeter with default "illustro theme"?

Sorry if this guess is besides the point.
RemyJane

Post by RemyJane »

Emptying the recycle bin didn't help.

I re-installed my graphic driver and rebooted my pc. Suddenly, it was working O.O

Thanks for your help, though! :D
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Ah...glad to hear that. Probably that is a common problem concerning with "hardware acceleration".
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

mak_kawa wrote: February 15th, 2020, 11:16 am Probably that is a common problem concerning with "hardware acceleration".
Yep, my guess is the same. Probably Hardware acceleration was on and while the graphic card was not up to date, it caused Rainmeter to crash. Once the driver updated, no more crashes.
Good that RemyJane found the solution.
Hamonate1

Post by Hamonate1 »

I've been experiencing this same issue. Been present for about a few weeks. I tried updating my drivers as you did, but no luck. The issue started after I updated my graphics drivers. Do you know of anything else I could try??
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Try editing C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini, and setting HardwareAcceleration=0. Then start Rainmeter and see what happens.
Hamonate1

Post by Hamonate1 »

This is weird... The rainmeter file is non-existent it seems in my appdata folder. It was present before when I was trying the solutions in your bigger post of general bug fixes, but now it's gone. Just reinstalled rainmeter and it still didn't show. I checked in the roaming folder and it's present there. Is that the same rainmeter folder or should there be 2 separate ones per folder?