It is currently April 16th, 2024, 4:15 am

Game mode

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.4 beta cycle.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Game mode

Post by balala »

sammael wrote: January 19th, 2020, 11:11 am This is something I would welcome too, and in fact was how I thought the "Game Mode" will function once it was announced. As a manual toggle I don't really see it's usefulness as I usually only remember to activate it when I alt tab and notice rainmeter on desktop after playing for 2 hours already, by which point it's already 2 hours late.

At the moment I launch my games via batch files that forcefully kill Rainmeter.exe and then restart it once game exe is closed. You can see how having rainmeter manage this would be much more efficient.
This has been discussed a few times before, even here on this topic. Developers opinion is that this is not desirable and probably a way not to manually launch it, won't be added: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=33882&start=10#p167764
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

not even a command line way to activate it :(
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Jeff wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:59 pm not even a command line way to activate it :(
No, at all. Just through the Rainmeter icon in the Notification area. No automatization, bang or whatever.
Krainz

Post by Krainz »

Is the idea security reasons to prevent developers from shutting down other developers' skins?

What about this:

Every skin that wants to use Game Mode has a password. The developer must register the password in a database

You can only apply Game Mode to the skins you have the password to.

So if I want to shut down all the skins I created while a game is playing, I'm free to do so.

Similar to an API Key
soyelrafa

Post by soyelrafa »

Krainz wrote: February 4th, 2020, 11:38 pm Is the idea security reasons to prevent developers from shutting down other developers' skins?

What about this:

Every skin that wants to use Game Mode has a password. The developer must register the password in a database

You can only apply Game Mode to the skins you have the password to.

So if I want to shut down all the skins I created while a game is playing, I'm free to do so.

Similar to an API Key
I think that is easier for everyone that the app has a permission system, and you have to give manual permission for each skin that will be capable of execute game mode. If the user don't give permission, the skin can't execute game mode.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

soyelrafa wrote: February 25th, 2020, 11:24 pm you have to give manual permission for each skin that will be capable of execute game mode.
Come on guys, let's try to understand: there are no such capabilities (at least now, but I doubt this will change in future). Skins are not (and probably won't be) able to launch the Game mode. Can't give them such permission.
Said clearly...
sammael

Post by sammael »

balala wrote: February 26th, 2020, 9:14 am Come on guys, let's try to understand: there are no such capabilities (at least now, but I doubt this will change in future). Skins are not (and probably won't be) able to launch the Game mode. Can't give them such permission.
Said clearly...
I don't really care if skins can turn it on or off automatically, I want rainmeter to turn it on automatically when a process of name I define in Rainmeter's options is started and turn it off when the process exits.

Why is this so hard to understand (seemingly to me from the replies this thread gets)/develop that from the developers position? What is in the mind of the developers use of this feature in current state?

Why would you need this per skin, how on earth would be hiding one skin helpful?

Sorry for ranting, but every reply in this thread just sends me to a blind rage, because you implemented a feature I was hoping Rainmeter would get for years, but you made it unusable, aaaaaaargh. Back to killing the rainmeter process before game exe starts in .bat file then.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sammael wrote: February 26th, 2020, 11:14 am I don't really care if skins can turn it on or off automatically, I want rainmeter to turn it on automatically when a process of name I define in Rainmeter's options is started and turn it off when the process exits.
Yep, I also want a lot of things, but that's it.
Not to argue you, but Rainmeter definitely can't do this. Certain skins could, if there would be a bang to make this, but there is not. Developers specifically explained why such a feature won't be added. You may believe or may not, but that feature doesn't exist.
sammael wrote: February 26th, 2020, 11:14 am Sorry for ranting, but every reply in this thread just sends me to a blind rage, because you implemented a feature I was hoping Rainmeter would get for years, but you made it unusable, aaaaaaargh. Back to killing the rainmeter process before game exe starts in .bat file then.
It entirely up to you if you want to use this feature or Rainmeter itself. It definitely is usable, but you do as you wish.
soyelrafa

Post by soyelrafa »

balala wrote: February 26th, 2020, 9:14 am Come on guys, let's try to understand: there are no such capabilities (at least now, but I doubt this will change in future). Skins are not (and probably won't be) able to launch the Game mode. Can't give them such permission.
Said clearly...
I know, I just wrote an easier way. I know that won't happen though.
marble_wraith

Post by marble_wraith »

Something fairly trivial. Try loading the "preview" layout that comes with the enigma suite and then activating game mode.

For reference im on a 15" 1080p laptop.

https://imgur.com/a/PYcO8uE

Notice anything? If you don't use your keyboard, you have to click-scroll about ~15 times to even see the game mode option. Granted this is a fairly extreme use case, but is it possible we can get the option moved to somewhere at the top of the GUI list?

Also on point of usability, while i understand the decision of devs not wanting to give authors/skins control of the trigger for game mode, from an automation standpoint as sammael has expounded, this sucks.

So i was wondering if there was a happy middle-ground. I'm not super familiar with the codebase yet (still getting to know the structure of suites and plugin API) but is it possible build rainmeter itself with a default win hotkey to toggle game mode? In effect this would cater towards 2 groups:

1. For the people that don't care about automation, it's probably the most efficient / easiest way to activate game mode.

2. For the people that do care about automation, it provides an endpoint for a user to automate in some other way e.g. when "game.exe" launches -> execute macro (hotkey).