It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:13 am

Update Availabilty Question

General topics related to Rainmeter.
MourningStar

Update Availabilty Question

Post by MourningStar »

Hello!

Does Rainmeter have the ability to notify when a new version is available?

Also, does it have the ability to notify when any of the installed/loaded skins has a new version available?

-thx
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Update Availabilty Question

Post by balala »

MourningStar wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 5:56 pm Does Rainmeter have the ability to notify when a new version is available?
Sometimes in past I got messages about this. I suppose (and a developer should confirm or not) it warns when bigger updates are available (as said, I'm not sure about this).
MourningStar wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 5:56 pm Also, does it have the ability to notify when any of the installed/loaded skins has a new version available?
Definitely not. No way Rainmeter to check the available versions of the skins.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yes, it will notify you when a more recent final version is available. It won't do any notifications on changes in beta versions.

As to skins, certainly not. Rainmeter has no way to know what skins are out there, where they are hosted, and what versions they are. A skin author could build something like that into their individual skin, and I think a couple of folks have, but Rainmeter itself has no visibility into the skins written using it.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 7:15 pm Yes, it will notify you when a more recent final version is available. It won't do any notifications on changes in beta versions.
Good to be known. :great:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

To be more specific, the way it works is:

If you are installing a fresh copy of Rainmeter on your system, and there is a newer version available, a Windows "toaster" notification will pop up the first time it is started, warning you that you have an older version. This will only happen once, the first time you start it.

After that, or if you already had Rainmeter installed, it is less in your face, and will simply always have a notification at the top of the Rainmeter context menu, alerting you that a newer version is available.

This is controlled by an entry in the Rainmeter.data file in ..AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter.

This notification can be turned off if desired, in the Rainmeter Settings.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 7:34 pm will simply always have a notification at the top of the Rainmeter context menu, alerting you that a newer version is available.
Yes, this is what I remembered it exists. Couldn't remember it is in the context menu, but I remembered somewhere such a notification does exists.
jsmorley wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 7:34 pm This notification can be turned off if desired, in the Rainmeter Settings.
Right, with the Check for updates checkbox on the Settings tab.
lysy1993lbn

Post by lysy1993lbn »

Not sure if it helps, but you can subscribe to get an e-mail notification on new releases (this includes beta builds) on github using https://coderelease.io/
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
my deviantART | Alternative Rainmeter tray icons
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

It's easy to implement an update notification as an author into a skin. I just use a webparser to a website where I store the current version number, then a calc measure to compare that number with the version number stored in the skin. If the number is higher than the other, it's as easy as triggering a !ShowMeter with the words "Update available!", with a LeftMouseUpAction to the URL to the download location.

You can store the variable in your skin's deviantart page description. It's easy.
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

Cariboudjan wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 7:05 am It's easy to implement an update notification as an author into a skin. I just use a webparser to a website where I store the current version number, then a calc measure to compare that number with the version number stored in the skin. If the number is higher than the other, it's as easy as triggering a !ShowMeter with the words "Update available!", with a LeftMouseUpAction to the URL to the download location.

You can store the variable in your skin's deviantart page description. It's easy.
Great - hope skinners follow-up on this.

Thx all for your input !

:17good