It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:11 am

Weather and World Time

Weather skins
ms310

Weather and World Time

Post by ms310 »

This is a work in progress. I have tried to attribute the people who have helped me by creating great skins. If I have missed someone - it is NOT intentional.

I hope you like it. If you have recommendations or criticisms please share! I realize configuring this skin is not user-friendly - I am taking baby steps.

The main idea was captured from a plugin by by-segaal located here:

https://www.deviantart.com/by-segaal/art/Tri-Station-1-11-754643808

I created a new background image, wired in a different weather source and added World Time.

update.png

This skiin uses the website isitraining.in. The top of the city is reserved for text that will display "It's Raining!". I may do something else here.

Every 30 seconds the bubbles (except for the last bubble on the right) will flash different information. I am thinking I would like them to flash every 20 seconds instead of 30 seconds - but I am still working on that.

V1 - initial release
V2 - changed icons - the IsItRaining.in site uses a different set of icon numbers - I've downloaded them all and included them with the skin. I've added a settings button - you can change the city the weather is pulled from (some assembly required - check the URL on the website and the URL in the main code block. The settings allow you to change the NAMES of the timzones but you cannot change the actual cities - the cities are hard coded. I will make it more configurable soon.
V3 - more cleanup - Min/Max were backwards. Removed a Measure that was flagging an error. Added strings in the settings to define different timezones. The displayed name and the name for the URL are not linked - so you must make sure City1= matches the location defined by City1Link=
V4 - Updated the World Time to display the CITY CODE automatically from the feed. You will notice now the City1 does not display the city code - I make this my HOME CITY - therefore I don't need the code. The code has been cleaned up some more. Click the little gear symbol at the top right and edit the resulting config file with your weather location and timezone lcoations per the instructions in the file. The colors should also change based on where you place the skin on your desktop. The Chameleon plugin is used. Somtimes the text can get a little dark depending on your desktop setup. The bubble on the right is a little too dark perhaps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ms310 on January 23rd, 2020, 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
ms310

Re: Weather and World Time

Post by ms310 »

Looks like someone is downloading this thing - great!

Any problems or concerns so far?
ryanchuang

Post by ryanchuang »

I like it,thus it's a shame that the weather service did not support my city and that if it does support multi-language that would be great.
ms310

Post by ms310 »

ryanchuang wrote: January 17th, 2020, 6:29 am I like it,thus it's a shame that the weather service did not support my city and that if it does support multi-language that would be great.
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. I am not as gifted a skinner as most of the fine folks here but - I am willing to try! Since you are the first person to comment - what city and what language do you need?
ryanchuang

Post by ryanchuang »

ms310 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 7:35 am what city and what language do you need?
I am not comfortable to tell where exactly my city is,but I did check isitraining.in,my city is not included,but the my country of capital only. My main language is Traditional Chinese,I did modify this skin to that,thus the only area I cannot modify/translate is weather's conditions.

Here is what I have modifed:

As you can see that weather condition is still English. Do you know which Measure string I should substitute to translate?? Is

Code: Select all

[MeasureDescription]
??
ms310

Post by ms310 »

Hi - take a look at [MeterConditions].
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Thanks for pointing out this skin, and site. :thumbup:

Now that WXData seems to be gone forever, having as many options as possible may help keep weather available in Rainmeter skins.
Webpage scraping is a fragile solution but can return an abundance of data.

The IsItRaining.In site, when parsed using a UserAgent, returns the current data in a form that is more reliable.

So I started to create an include file of measures that return all the available data... then thought, I should downloaded your package again to see if I missed anything. Although the style is not for me :Whistle, I was impressed to see how much current data you were able to get.

I finished the include file of measures and created a few skins with the data... I did borrow your regexp to capture the icon number :sly:

The icons from IsItRaining.in are good for small displays, but I ended up modifying several of hiphopium's weather icons to match the conditions returned by data.

weatherNow.png
I will be posting my package in the "Share..." section a bit later,
but wanted to say "Thank you!" for alerting people to a good source for current weather data! :rosegift:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ms310

Post by ms310 »

eclectic-tech wrote: January 24th, 2020, 3:14 am Thanks for pointing out this skin, and site. :thumbup:

Now that WXData seems to be gone forever, having as many options as possible may help keep weather available in Rainmeter skins.
Webpage scraping is a fragile solution but can return an abundance of data.

The IsItRaining.In site, when parsed using a UserAgent, returns the current data in a form that is more reliable.

So I started to create an include file of measures that return all the available data... then thought, I should downloaded your package again to see if I missed anything. Although the style is not for me :Whistle, I was impressed to see how much current data you were able to get.

I finished the include file of measures and created a few skins with the data... I did borrow your regexp to capture the icon number :sly:

The icons from IsItRaining.in are good for small displays, but I ended up modifying several of hiphopium's weather icons to match the conditions returned by data.

weatherNow.png

I will be posting my package in the "Share..." section a bit later,
but wanted to say "Thank you!" for alerting people to a good source for current weather data! :rosegift:
Thanks for the kind words! You will notice many of your techniques (and the techniques from many others) throughout the skin. I agree with the icons - I can't wait to see your skin and what you have done with the icons! I need to switch them up. I like the isitraining.in site but some users have told me their cities are not included.

I will say this though - the part "is it raining" seems scary accurate for me in Japan. I sit by a window and during off and on rain the results of the site were pretty much spot on!
ryanchuang

Post by ryanchuang »

ms310 wrote: January 19th, 2020, 1:39 am Hi - take a look at [MeterConditions].
Thanks,it is under

Code: Select all

MeasureDescription
for weather conditions translation:

Also,somehow,I have found my city. I wish isitraining.in has one straight forward list that indicated which city and country it does support. On the front page,said that it used Here.com mapping technology which still go to no where,pun intended.