It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:27 pm

[SOLVED] Skins Appear on Top of Windows

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
kiko1801

[SOLVED] Skins Appear on Top of Windows

Post by kiko1801 »

I have a problem, if I have a window open (File Explorer, Chrome etc.) and I click on the desktop (anywhere except the window), my skins appear on top of them for a moment. I have every skin set "On desktop" and nothing change.
Any solutions?

Last edited by kiko1801 on January 5th, 2020, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Skins Appear on Top of Windows

Post by balala »

Not very sure what's going on because there is a something I don't understand in your description. You say that:
kiko1801 wrote: December 26th, 2019, 6:01 am I have a window open (File Explorer, Chrome etc.) and I click on the desktop (anywhere except the window), my skins appear on top of them for a moment.
The skins appear on top of what? On top of the only open window? If so, then they hide after that moment, without you having to do something?
So, details needed, please.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Ok, so that behaviour is not inexplicable.

So, from what you wrote, I made the determination that the process of events were that you have clicked on the desktop during the app (chrome right?) loading. In so doing you essentially put the focus there, and that is where rainmeter exists primarily. I see the same thing quite often as it is just a kind of habit from early days of my PC usage - I forget why but ya. Anyways you can add yet another snippet of code into your culprit skin.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
MouseOverAction=[!ZPos "-2"]
Doing that will simply require moving the mouse (over the skin) rather than asserting focus back onto the application with a mouse-click - which in some cases can cause issues with an application on occasion (thats the reason, i remember now) during initialisation.

The drawback is if there are other skins that are meant to be 'in front' of the culprit skin that !ZPos bang might not be the best option.

If there is any other behaviour during your observations, just let us know - someone will likely have other options.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Mor3bane wrote: December 27th, 2019, 8:54 pm Ok, so that behaviour is not inexplicable.

So, from what you wrote, I made the determination that the process of events were that you have clicked on the desktop during the app (chrome right?) loading. In so doing you essentially put the focus there, and that is where rainmeter exists primarily. I see the same thing quite often as it is just a kind of habit from early days of my PC usage - I forget why but ya. Anyways you can add yet another snippet of code into your culprit skin.

[Rainmeter]
MouseOverAction=[!ZPos "-2"]
Doing that will simply require moving the mouse (over the skin) rather than asserting focus back onto the application with a mouse-click - which in some cases can cause issues with an application on occasion (thats the reason, i remember now) during initialisation.

The drawback is if there are other skins that are meant to be 'in front' of the culprit skin that !ZPos bang might not be the best option.

If there is any other behaviour during your observations, just let us know - someone will likely have other options.
Yeah, you might have right, however would be extremely nice if when users ask something, would come back with a reply. In many cases people are asking something and although they get one or more reply, they never come back, to let us know if the replies were helpful or not, to answer the questions arisen in meantime or so on.
Sorry if I seem discourteous telling this, but I am very upset in such cases.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Is the taskbar the TranslucentTB Rainmeter skin? This might be just a simple case of focus stealing just because you clicked a Rainmeter skin and all the skins from Rainmeter that are on the same position just poped back into view
I have this problem with Google Play Music Desktop Player, where it randomly appears over all windows and steals focus after I click somewhere empty on my Desktop, I had the same problem with Rainmeter before I set the position of my skins to On Desktop in the Manage Rainmeter window
Also if that is indeed the TranslucentTB Rainmeter skin, that lags the ever living ship out of my pc, use this alternative instead (which also doesn't die when Rainmeter dies)
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

balala wrote: December 27th, 2019, 9:17 pm Yeah, you might have right, however would be extremely nice if when users ask something, would come back with a reply. In many cases people are asking something and although they get one or more reply, they never come back, to let us know if the replies were helpful or not, to answer the questions arisen in meantime or so on.
Sorry if I seem discourteous telling this, but I am very upset in such cases.
I think sometimes people just forget they can come here and check out for answers.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Mor3bane wrote: December 28th, 2019, 11:31 am I think sometimes people just forget they can come here and check out for answers.
Yes, but this is annoying for the respondent. The forum can be set to notify about the eventual replies. But yes, this isn1t done by default, it must be set manually.
Vilger23

Post by Vilger23 »

I would think that you only need to change the Zpos of the skins.
try to write

[Rainmeter]
OnRefreshAction = [!Zpos -2]

on every skin that you use. if you want for example icons on top off other skins change -2 to -1
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Vilger23 wrote: December 30th, 2019, 10:46 pm I would think that you only need to change the Zpos of the skins.
try to write

[Rainmeter]
OnRefreshAction = [!Zpos -2]

on every skin that you use. if you want for example icons on top off other skins change -2 to -1
DONT do it this way. Refresh is every 1000ms or 1 second the Zpos will be going berserk.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi Mor3bane

OnRefreshAction launches on skin refreshing, not updating. So, Vilger23's suggestion seems to be relevant to some extent. But if the front-overlay occurs after refreshing of the skin, manual refresh seems to be needed. So for me, MouseOverAction you proposed is rather preferred by its behavior reacting to user's intension.