It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:53 am

[Suggestion]Color-matching image meter

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
mak_kawa

[Suggestion]Color-matching image meter

Post by mak_kawa »

Is there a possibility that the image meter of Rainmeter will support color-matching capability with an option like ColorMatch=1?

Probably this is just my fancy(?) request as a hobby photographer who uses Rainmeter as photo-image slideshow tool.

Currently, the image meter of my slideshow skin can't display photo image with correct color at all. It is somewhat annoying in enjoying photo image in Rainmeter.
Attached is an example showing the effect of color-matching. Left: display on color-matched image viewer, ImagaGlass. Right: display on the image meter of Rainmeter. Needless to say, the left is in correct color.
Rainmeter.png
I am not sure that the implemeatation of the color-matching is possible for Rainmeter...and also really minor need/demand??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Re: [Suggestion]Color-matching image meter

Post by Jeff »

Using the Windows Bliss .tiff and comparing the image from ImageGlass and a Rainmeter Image Meter using XOR, there is a difference in color between both of them, it's most likely one or the other not reading color profiles or some additional info images have.
*prepares to point finger at the one who's wrong*
Could be helpful if you are able to provide the image in the example as well, it may also be ImageGlass using your PC's Color Profile (or not), or Hardware Accelerated apps using color profiles (or not).
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi Jeff

Thank you for response. I have not expected response to my really minority suggestion...:-)

Honestly, I have only limited experience and knowledge for color matching as an end-user. So, It is hard to say for me what is the exact cause/origin of the situation.

Anyway, ImageGlass has two options on color management as you know, one defines which system (including monitor) color profile is applied, and another defines whether the color profile is applied or not when the image has not emmbedded color profile.
For the example in my above post, the ImageGlass options are both enabled. Applied color profile is my monitor profile provided by the manufacturer. Attached photo image example has no embedded color profile (possibly, as far as confirmed by XnView and ExifTool).
P1030498.jpg
(Is there a way to shrink display size of attached image...? lol)

What I want is that Rainmeter image meter shows photo image in color same as many color-matched applications such as ACDSee, XnView, Faststone Viewer, ImageGlass, Google Chrome, Photoshop, Lightroom and etc...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

mak_kawa wrote: December 5th, 2019, 6:13 am (Is there a way to shrink display size of attached image...? lol)
On this forum or in a skin?
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

On this forum.
Display size of attached image in my above post is unsightly too large. But I don't know how I can set/adjust it...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

mak_kawa wrote: December 5th, 2019, 10:01 pm On this forum.
Display size of attached image in my above post is unsightly too large. But I don't know how I can set/adjust it...
No, you really can't. I have the forums set to display the entire image up to 700 pixels wide. Larger than that and it will create a thumbnail that is 700 pixels, and you have to click on it to see the original larger size.
Yamajac

Post by Yamajac »

jsmorley wrote: December 5th, 2019, 10:31 pm No, you really can't. I have the forums set to display the entire image up to 700 pixels wide. Larger than that and it will create a thumbnail that is 700 pixels, and you have to click on it to see the original larger size.
It'd be nice if we could define a specified width though so it can be scaled down if we have a big image but don't need a lot of detail. Maybe we can, I don't know bbcode very well.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yamajac wrote: December 5th, 2019, 10:51 pm It'd be nice if we could define a specified width though so it can be scaled down if we have a big image but don't need a lot of detail. Maybe we can, I don't know bbcode very well.
Writing a bbcode that would resize an image to a specified size would likely not be hard, although given that it is an "attachment" and is controlled by those settings might make that tricky. Getting that to integrate with LightBox for displaying the full image on click would be more hassle than I think this is worth.

All in all, I made a judgment call that when folks are displaying skins as an example to get help, they want to have it be the largest size it can be, without running over the 950px width of the display panel in the post. Details are important when getting help, and having to click on the image to see it is in general a pain.

One other side effect of that setting is that animated gif files are only "animated" when they are displayed in full. So really, the 700px was as much for that, so you can have an animated gif up to 700px and it will animate in-place, rather than having to click on it. You cannot scale an animated gif.

So I went with 700px and I'm pretty happy with that.

giphy.gif
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi jsmorley
Thank you for clarification. I understand about this matter.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Sorry for digging up such old thread...I am not going to claim, just a report. :-)

In my first post of this thread, I wrote;
What I want is that Rainmeter image meter shows photo image in color same as many color-matched applications such as ACDSee, XnView, Faststone Viewer, ImageGlass, Google Chrome, Photoshop, Lightroom and etc...
Yesterday I have updated my Windows10 standard browser Microsoft Edge to a new version with Chromium engine. And...voila!, surprisingly it supports color-matching!
Color-matched_browser.jpg
So, above software list has to be modified to "such as ACDSee, XnView, Faststone Viewer, ImageGlass, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Photoshop, Lightroom and etc...".
After this update, on my current desktop, image displays with no color-matching are those of that notorious Windows Photo and...the image meter of Rainmeter. :-)