It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:15 pm

Idea for option alternate to tooltip - question [working variant: solved]

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Mor3bane

Re: Idea for option alternate to tooltip - question

Post by Mor3bane »

No, that does not work.

What I have seems adequate and the millisecond delay is virtually nonexistent.

Just wondering about the empty string query - have you read that yet?
(I dont know how to link an individual reply)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Idea for option alternate to tooltip - question

Post by balala »

Mor3bane wrote: November 28th, 2019, 9:44 pm No, that does not work.
I'm surprised, because previously you've posted this:
Mor3bane wrote: November 28th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Code: Select all

MouseOverAction=[!SetOption "CentreTextLow" "Text" "Pool/Curse" "#SKINSPATH#\Round Meters\Lower Right Tooltip\Lower Right Tooltip.ini"][!UpdateMeter "CentreTextLow" "Pool/Curse" "#SKINSPATH#\Round Meters\Lower Right Tooltip\Lower Right Tooltip.ini"][!SetOption Low0 SolidColor ""][!SetOption Low0 ImageName "#@#Clicky.png"][!UpdateMeter "Low0"][!Redraw]
This means the skin you want to set the Text in is #SKINSPATH#\Round Meters\Lower Right Tooltip\Lower Right Tooltip.ini. But if you want to set something into another skin than the current one, you never add the skin's .ini file as the last parameter of the !SetOption bang, but the config, which in this case is Round Meters\Lower Right Tooltip. The same applies for the !UpdateMeter bang, however I realized just now that the posted !UpdateMeter bang - [!UpdateMeter "CentreTextLow" "Pool/Curse" "#SKINSPATH#\Round Meters\Lower Right Tooltip\Lower Right Tooltip.ini"] - beside having the config set wrong, also has too many parameters. Could the config be Pool\Curse, instead of Round Meters\Lower Right Tooltip? Not having your skins structure, I can't say how is it correct.
Mor3bane wrote: November 28th, 2019, 9:44 pm Just wondering about the empty string query - have you read that yet?
(I dont know how to link an individual reply)
I saw you've figured it out by yourself, using the Magic Quotes. Is it alright now, does it work properly?
Mor3bane

Re: Idea for option alternate to tooltip - question [working variant: solved]

Post by Mor3bane »

Hi balala
That line you quoted did not work. I did figure out that the config ini was indeed the way to go. So my working code looks like this essentially:

Code: Select all

MouseOverAction=[!WriteKeyValue "ProcessText" "Text" "Gmax/Lilac's" "#SKINSPATH#\Round Meters\Upper Right Tooltip\Upper Right Tooltip.ini"][!Refresh "Round Meters\Upper Right Tooltip"][!SetOption Top0 ImageName "#@#Clicky.png"][!UpdateMeter "Top0"][!Redraw]
MouseLeaveAction=[!WriteKeyValue "ProcessText" "Text" """" """" "#SKINSPATH#\Round Meters\Upper Right Tooltip\Upper Right Tooltip.ini"][!Refresh "Round Meters\Upper Right Tooltip"][!SetOption Top0 ImageName ""][!UpdateMeter "Top0"][!Redraw]
It works nicely, and there is no delay like in standard tooltips, no fade delay and mouse action interference by the popup. But trying to refresh the ini was the issue, so that is where going the config way comes in. I tried without calling the ini but it failed.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Mor3bane wrote: November 30th, 2019, 2:17 am But trying to refresh the ini was the issue, so that is where going the config way comes in. I tried without calling the ini but it failed.
At least if I'm not missing something, the only bang which as last parameter (if it is added) needs a file, not a config is the !WriteKeyValue. All others work with config as last parameter. This applies even in case of the !Refresh bang. Now if you're talking about the above added !Refresh bang ([!Refresh "Round Meters\Upper Right Tooltip"]), if the config is correct (Round Meters\Upper Right Tooltip) the skin loaded from this config should refresh when you are hovering the mouse over the meter or leaving it. However don't forget this: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=31815&p=168621#p168621. It applies same way in this case too.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

balala wrote: November 30th, 2019, 7:34 am At least if I'm not missing something, the only bang which as last parameter (if it is added) needs a file, not a config is the !WriteKeyValue. All others work with config as last parameter. This applies even in case of the !Refresh bang. Now if you're talking about the above added !Refresh bang ([!Refresh "Round Meters\Upper Right Tooltip"]), if the config is correct (Round Meters\Upper Right Tooltip) the skin loaded from this config should refresh when you are hovering the mouse over the meter or leaving it. However don't forget this: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=31815&p=168621#p168621. It applies same way in this case too.
Thanks for sharing balala. that is really good information. I would just say that in this instance the destructible nature of !Refresh is preferred as the !WriteKeyValue needs to reset for the behaviour of the skin - if i hung onto the keyvalue it would be moot as the next write to the skin would just destroy the previous information anyway.

very useful though for those looking for similar behaviour but not in such a temporary way, perhaps. :Whistle
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Mor3bane wrote: November 30th, 2019, 8:42 pm I would just say that in this instance the destructible nature of !Refresh is preferred as the !WriteKeyValue needs to reset for the behaviour of the skin - if i hung onto the keyvalue it would be moot as the next write to the skin would just destroy the previous information anyway.
The !WriteKeyValue destroys only the physically written value, but not the value set dynamically into the memory. Maybe take into account the following possibility as well: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22739&p=120238#p120238.
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Ok.

Just wondering, if I am using !Redraw as the last bang in the mouseaction queue, does that potentially save me from the propensity of a gazillion hanging pointers in my memory? bytes add up.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Mor3bane wrote: November 30th, 2019, 9:03 pm Just wondering, if I am using !Redraw as the last bang in the mouseaction queue, does that potentially save me from the propensity of a gazillion hanging pointers in my memory? bytes add up.
A redraw is made on every update of the skin. If the Update is set to the default Update=1000, a redraw occurs once per second. So I think not.