It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:28 pm

RainGame - A functional game engine without scrip... WITH a custom scripting language!

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
Yamajac

RainGame - A functional game engine without scrip... WITH a custom scripting language!

Post by Yamajac »

Now with integrated scripts!

Here's the github (rmskin download there)(And I actually updated it finally).

Previous Updates:
This is a game ENGINE, NOT a game. YOU can build your very own game in this engine and share it with other people to play. It's still missing a lot of features but it is technically a functional game engine as is. Mmmm it's sexy.

Who needs scripts or plugins or anything when you have... scripts?
Last edited by Yamajac on December 9th, 2019, 8:30 am, edited 16 times in total.
Yamajac

Re: The beginnings of my game engine

Post by Yamajac »

Built a collision map editor. (Also showcasing scaling)

It's an actual game development environment now. Not a good one, mind you. But you can develop very simple puzzle/exploration games using this engine now.
pul53dr1v3r

Re: The beginnings of my game engine

Post by pul53dr1v3r »

looks good. :thumbup:
Yamajac

Re: The beginnings of my game engine (No Lua)

Post by Yamajac »

Yamajac

Re: RainGame - A functional game engine made without scripts or plugins

Post by Yamajac »

Jeff

Re: RainGame - A functional game engine without scripts or plugins | Now with Scrolling!

Post by Jeff »

*BoxWorld/Pokemon exist*
yama: ooooo I have an idea

This is really REALLY impressive, checking the code, it's especially impressive the way in which you use String measure, Nested Variables and RegExpSubstitute and how you don't use Lua or ActionTimer

Keep us updated :thumbup:
Yamajac

Re: RainGame - A functional game engine without scripts or plugins | Now with Scrolling!

Post by Yamajac »

Jeff wrote: November 16th, 2019, 7:38 pm *BoxWorld/Pokemon exist*
yama: ooooo I have an idea

This is really REALLY impressive, checking the code, it's especially impressive the way in which you use String measure, Nested Variables and RegExpSubstitute and how you don't use Lua or ActionTimer

Keep us updated :thumbup:
String measures are one of the most powerful tools at your disposal. Regex used well is exceptionally powerful, and string measures are the only thing that can use regex properly in rainmeter.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yamajac wrote: November 16th, 2019, 9:21 pm Regex used well is exceptionally powerful, and string measures are the only thing that can use regex properly in rainmeter.
No, I don't completely agree. If here you are talking about regular expression substitution, WebParser measures as well as all other types of measures can use it just as well.
Yamajac

Post by Yamajac »

balala wrote: November 16th, 2019, 9:53 pm No, I don't completely agree. If here you are talking about regular expression substitution, WebParser measures as well as all other types of measures can use it just as well.
No, they can't actually. WebParser *can* have regex but the regex functions differently behind the scenes, making it significantly less useful. String measures are the only place in Rainmeter that regular expressions actually work unrestricted.

For instance, in a web parser measure if you put (test) then ONLY the first test will be replaced, because it isn't global. In a string measure, ALL instances of test will be replaced, because it is global. It's impossible to parse an entire website in two measures with webparser measures, but it's possible if you replace one of the web parser measures with a string measure.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Pretty much any measure that returns a string value can use RegExpSubstitute / Substitute on it.