It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:34 am

[Suggestion] Force dismiss InputText + Save input on dismiss/as you type

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yamajac

[Suggestion] Force dismiss InputText + Save input on dismiss/as you type

Post by Yamajac »

I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY love to be able to interact with the stuff the user is typing as they type it. Predictive text/suggestions would be doable with that which would make dmenu style skins waaaaay easier and much prettier. Though just having InputText save its value to itself when it's dismissed and having a bang or the like to force dismiss the dialog would also be very nice for having some semblance of keyboard input.

Getting an official keyboard hook plugin would be even better than any of this but that'd be a lot more work so I'd really really love to at least be able to use InputText as a pseudo keyboard hook
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Suggestion] Force dismiss InputText + Save input on dismiss/as you type

Post by balala »

Yamajac wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:01 am I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY love to be able to interact with the stuff the user is typing as they type it.
Have you tried out the HotKey plugin? Even if it's not exactly what you need, a kinda similar behavior can be achieved.
Yamajac

Post by Yamajac »

balala wrote: November 12th, 2019, 7:45 am Have you tried out the HotKey plugin? Even if it's not exactly what you need, a kinda similar behavior can be achieved.
I don't like using non-officially implemented stuff or lua, though (I try to avoid the official plugins as much as possible too). But that plugin does seem pretty sweet, wish something like that could be officially supported.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yamajac wrote: November 12th, 2019, 8:07 am I don't like using non-officially implemented stuff or lua, though (I try to avoid the official plugins as much as possible too). But that plugin does seem pretty sweet, wish something like that could be officially supported.
Even if "not an official" plugin, HotKey has been written by Brian, who is a developer of Rainmeter. Don't have to be afraid to use it, I'm using it since a few years with no problems at all.
Yamajac

Post by Yamajac »

balala wrote: November 12th, 2019, 10:51 am Even if "not an official" plugin, HotKey has been written by Brian, who is a developer of Rainmeter. Don't have to be afraid to use it, I'm using it since a few years with no problems at all.

I'm not afraid to use it. I don't want to use it, because I don't want to use things that aren't officially supported. Not because of any kind of security concerns but because I just like being restricted.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yamajac wrote: November 12th, 2019, 11:03 am I'm not afraid to use it. I don't want to use it, because I don't want to use things that aren't officially supported. Not because of any kind of security concerns but because I just like being restricted.
As you wish. Your decision.