It is currently April 24th, 2024, 7:52 pm

Trying to learn - having some issues

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
CoffeeJoe

Re: Trying to learn - having some issues

Post by CoffeeJoe »

The manual is complete (as best as I can tell, but it seems to be written for the folks who know the language (the high level Rainmeter Language) and serves well as reference for looking up the "rules" when you don't remember. I can't yet extrapolate how to put the elements together and there isn't an example code for every element... so you can tell me that !SetOption is for updating an option ex: [!SetOption Meter Text New Text]
That is 100% acurate and helpful but where do i put this line of code and can the new text be a dynamic variable? ...

There is a curve, but it appears there are Sages among us, they know what they are talking about and have no issue helping... Its going to be alright :D
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CoffeeJoe wrote: November 9th, 2019, 1:24 am where do i put this line of code
Unfortunately there is not possible to post an example to every thing you can meet. There are so many possibilities that this is practically impossible. That's probably why this forum has been launched, to let users to get answers to their questions.
So, the answer to your is that where do you put that !SetOption bang, depends: you can put it into a (for instance) LeftMouseUpAction option of a meter, in which case it will be executed when you click to that meter. Or to an IfTrueAction / IfFalseAction option of a measure. In this case it will be executed when the condition become true / false. As you can see there can be many many cases where and how to use it, depending on what do you want to achieve.
CoffeeJoe wrote: November 9th, 2019, 1:24 am can the new text be a dynamic variable? ...
Yes, new text can be dynamic, however you should take into account that if you want to set the value of a dynamically changing variable or a measure, you have to use Escaping variables. For instance if MyVariable is a dynamically changing variable and you want to set its value to the Text option of a String meter, instead of [!SetOption MyStringMeter Text "#MyVariable#"] you have to use [!SetOption MyStringMeter Text "#*MyVariable*#"].
Mor3bane

Post by Mor3bane »

Hey CoffeeJoe

Have you visited https://www.deviantart.com/rainmeter/gallery/23941137/skins

It's a great place to find ideas and working examples of some very intuitive suites and stand alone projects done by many different authors.
My DevArt Gallery

There are many ways to be different - there is only one way to be yourself - be amazing at it

The law of averages says what it means; even if you get everything right, you will get something wrong. Therefore; self managing error trapping initiates another set of averages - amongst the errors, some of them will not be errors, instead those instances will appear to be "luck". One cannot complain of the 'appearance' of 'infinite regress of causation', even if it does not have a predictable pattern, only that it requires luck to achieve.