It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:57 pm

How to uninstall a skin

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
rlnoonan

How to uninstall a skin

Post by rlnoonan »

This is probably a dumb/simple question, but I was wondering if there was a way to uninstall individual skins. I have installed a number of skins that I wanted to try out, but they didn't end up having the functionality I wanted. In order to reduce the clutter of the list of installed skins I was hoping to uninstall/remove those skins I know I won't use so they no longer show up in Rainmeter at all. I couldn't find a way to do that, so I was hoping maybe someone here might know.

Thanks for the help,
Bob
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: How to uninstall a skin

Post by balala »

rlnoonan wrote: November 4th, 2019, 7:57 pm I was wondering if there was a way to uninstall individual skins.
Simply remove the appropriate config from the Skins folder. The path of the Skins folder is most probably this: C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins. There you have to find out the config (which is shown when for instance you're hovering the mouse over the Skins menu within the Rainmeter tray icon right-click menu) which contains the skin you want to remove, and get rid of it.
If the skin installer added plugins / layouts as well, you have to remove them manually from the c:\Users\yourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins, respectively c:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Layouts folder. But unless you're very sure you know what are you doing, I recommend to leave them there. Won't cause problems, but removing something could do.
rlnoonan

Post by rlnoonan »

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it might be more risk than it is worth. At least you confirmed that I wasn't missing some obvious uninstall button.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

rlnoonan wrote: November 5th, 2019, 5:49 am Thanks for the information. Sounds like it might be more risk than it is worth. At least you confirmed that I wasn't missing some obvious uninstall button.
No you wasn't missing anything. But it's not risky at all. If you remove only the appropriate config from the Skins folder, there is no risk. Leave the eventual layouts and/or plugins where they are. Won't cause troubles.