It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:08 am

Japanese charcaters showing random text

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
RGBisLyf

Japanese charcaters showing random text

Post by RGBisLyf »

i'm wondering how can i input a japanese characters in rainmeter it displays wrong or random text please help (sorry for being a newbie and noob :(( )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mak_kawa

Re: Japanese charcaters showing random text

Post by mak_kawa »

Following code shows Japanese characters with no problem for me.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=32,32,32,192

[textMeter]
Meter=String
FontColor=255,255,255,255
FontFace=Ink Free
FontSize=18
X=0
Y=0
W=150
H=30
Text=ビーアンジェリン
I suspect that the text encoding of your skin is "UTF-8". If you changed this to "UTF-16" or "Shift-JIS", how the result is?
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

I found this in Rainmeter documents.
Using Unicode in Rainmeter

That is... "NEVER encode any of these files in UTF-8".
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

RGBisLyf wrote: October 15th, 2019, 2:07 am i'm wondering how can i input a japanese characters in rainmeter it displays wrong or random text please help (sorry for being a newbie and noob :(( )
How is it shown depends on the coding you're using on the saved .ini file.
As you can read on the link posted by mak_kawa above, you get what is shown in the posted image if you save the .ini file with ANSI encoding. If you save it as Unicode, you'll get the proper characters.
RGBisLyf

Post by RGBisLyf »

mak_kawa wrote: October 15th, 2019, 2:53 am Following code shows Japanese characters with no problem for me.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=32,32,32,192

[textMeter]
Meter=String
FontColor=255,255,255,255
FontFace=Ink Free
FontSize=18
X=0
Y=0
W=150
H=30
Text=ビーアンジェリン
I suspect that the text encoding of your skin is "UTF-8". If you changed this to "UTF-16" or "Shift-JIS", how the result is?
i can't understand whats this but how can i turn it to a UTF-16 thing? im literally clueless on this thing im really sorry :((
RGBisLyf

Post by RGBisLyf »

balala wrote: October 15th, 2019, 1:12 pm How is it shown depends on the coding you're using on the saved .ini file.
As you can read on the link posted by mak_kawa above, you get what is shown in the posted image if you save the .ini file with ANSI encoding. If you save it as Unicode, you'll get the proper characters.
How can i save it to a UTF-16 thing i really dont know how to work with this i just copy paste that on the internet sorry for being too noob :(
RGBisLyf

Post by RGBisLyf »

mak_kawa wrote: October 15th, 2019, 3:35 am I found this in Rainmeter documents.
Using Unicode in Rainmeter

That is... "NEVER encode any of these files in UTF-8".
Thanks to this ill read this rn
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

As Rainmeter document says, use of Notepad++, Sublime Text and Atom as text editor is recommended in Rainmeter skin editing.

But with the Windows built-in text editor, notepad, you can save text with UTF-16 encoding. In "Save as" dialog, you can select the kind of text-encoding with text encoding DropDown list. Select "UTF-16 LE" in the list.
RGBisLyf

Post by RGBisLyf »

mak_kawa wrote: October 16th, 2019, 3:40 am As Rainmeter document says, use of Notepad++, Sublime Text and Atom as text editor is recommended in Rainmeter skin editing.

But with the Windows built-in text editor, notepad, you can save text with UTF-16 encoding. In "Save as" dialog, you can select the kind of text-encoding with text encoding DropDown list. Select "UTF-16 LE" in the list.
WOW THANKS IT WORKS RIGHT NOW!!!!!! THANKS YOU VERY MUCH AND ALSO SORRY FOR BOTHERING YOU ILL TRY HARDER TO UNDERSTANG NEXT TIME THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! :D
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Related to the encoding of the skins files, note that there are even weirder behaviors. If you save the file in Notepad with UTF-16BE encoding (UCS-2 BE BOM in Notepad++), you can't even load it, or if it already is loaded, after a refresh, will be unloaded. Not all encodings are supported by Rainmeter.
And one more, even more weirder for me: if I save the skin with UTF-8 with BOM encoding (Notepad) or UTF-8 BOM (Notepad++), the skin loads, but the background color (added as BackgroundColor into the [Rainmeter] section) is ignored.