It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:11 pm

Rotator for shapes

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
ms310

Rotator for shapes

Post by ms310 »

Hi - I have an idea for a World Time skin that is based on the rings on the Apple Watch.
2019-10-08_08h16_09.png
I have figured out rotator for an image and drawing a line:
2019-10-08_08h18_51.png
I am using an image that rotates around. My plan would be to have each color represent the HOUR of a different timezone and if you cursor over the color the tooltip would display the name of the timezone and the full time. On the outside of the circle, I would have 1 - 24 (it would be a 24-hour clock).

I believe I have the mechanics of the skin. My question is this - instead of using an image to move in front of the line (see the small airplane, it is a PNG file) can I use a Shape Meter to imitate the rounded end caps shown in the first image above?

The idea would be to have a circle of the same color of the lines to move along the line to imitate the look of the Apple circles.

Thanks for any advice!
ms310

Re: Rotator for shapes

Post by ms310 »

I've decided that it is easier for me to just use PNG files for the "caps". I think the png (circle with the pink center) is turning around its axis AND moving in a circle around the big circle - but it's OK.
2019-10-08_13h05_32.png
I think I have enough to attempt to move forward. One thing I "DO" need help with - the tooltip in this code is not displaying anything.

Code: Select all

[MeterCap1]
Meter=Rotator
MeasureName=MeasureTime
X=70
Y=70
ImageName=#@#circle.png
AntiAlias=1
StartAngle=(Rad(270))
RotationAngle=(Rad(360))
ValueRemainder=60
OffsetX=-33
OffsetY=12
Container=Container
ToolTipText=[MeasureTime]
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

When using SectionVariables, you need to add DynamicVariables=1

[MeterCap1]
Meter=Rotator
MeasureName=MeasureTime
X=70
Y=70
ImageName=#@#circle.png
AntiAlias=1
StartAngle=(Rad(270))
RotationAngle=(Rad(360))
ValueRemainder=60
OffsetX=-33
OffsetY=12
Container=Container
ToolTipText=[MeasureTime]
DynamicVariables=1
This should return the 'string' value of MeasureTime.
ms310

Post by ms310 »

eclectic-tech wrote: October 8th, 2019, 4:31 am When using SectionVariables, you need to add DynamicVariables=1

DynamicVariables=1
This should return the 'string' value of MeasureTime.
Thanks, Eclectic-Tech. This worked for an Image meter but did not work for my Rotator meter. Maybe Rainmeter doesn't know what to attach to for this meter type?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Okay, add TooltipText=[MeasureTime] and DynamicVariables=1 to your [Container] section rather than to the rotator meter section.
ms310

Post by ms310 »

Hi Eclectic-Tech - thanks as always for taking the time to help out.

Your proposal works - but I am after a tooltip for each timezone. Here is a mockup (still not happy with it) - each band represents a timezone and the hour in 24 hour time.
2019-10-09_13h17_41.png
My idea is you hover over a colored band and the city name and time will popup.

I can place static tiny images say at the start of each color band and then add tooltips to those.

Accepting any ideas!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

First note that at least as I can say, those meters shown in the posted images, are not Rotators, but Roundline meters. Aren't they?
Secondly, doesn't matter if are Roundline or Rotator meters, in both cases if you apply a ToolTip, it will be show on the whole surface of the meter, not just on its visible parts. So, unfortunately a such Rotator and/or Roundline meter displays the tooltip not just on the visible surface of the shown line, but even inside, as well as outside of it. If you add a SolidColor=0,0,0,120 option to the meters we're talking about, you can see the whole surface of the skin, which enable showing the tooltip. If a tooltip is added, there is not possible to avoid it on the whole surface of the meter.
ms310

Post by ms310 »

balala wrote: October 9th, 2019, 10:43 am First note that at least as I can say, those meters shown in the posted images, are not Rotators, but Roundline meters. Aren't they?
Secondly, doesn't matter if are Roundline or Rotator meters, in both cases if you apply a ToolTip, it will be show on the whole surface of the meter, not just on its visible parts. So, unfortunately a such Rotator and/or Roundline meter displays the tooltip not just on the visible surface of the shown line, but even inside, as well as outside of it. If you add a SolidColor=0,0,0,120 option to the meters we're talking about, you can see the whole surface of the skin, which enable showing the tooltip. If a tooltip is added, there is not possible to avoid it on the whole surface of the meter.
Thanks, Balala - you are 100% correct. When I was putting a PNG image following the end of a Roundline it was done so with a Rotator. I removed them in the screenshot - sorry for this confusion.

OK - I think I understand - thanks Balala - I will put a static image at the start of each Roundline with a tooltip.

I wish I was a better artist - I am unable to make this skin looks as sexy as the Apple Watch circles :)

Here is a question though. If I comment out the Ellipse at the top of this code snippet the Roundline doesn't go in a complete circle. When I uncomment the Ellipse an entire circle is shown. Any ideas?

I understand. The entire Roundline is being displayed but without the Ellipse, the total area of the skin is not large enough to display the entire Roundline. It is important to have a background skin to set the constraints of the skin dimensions. I think :)

;[MeterEllipse]
;Meter=Shape
;Shape=Ellipse 100,100,80 | Fill Color 222222FF | StrokeWidth 0

[nTime]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureTime
X=84
Y=82
FontColor=FFFFFFFF
Text=%1

[nDate]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureDate
X=-6r
Y=20r
FontColor=FFFFFFFF
Text=%1

[nLane1]
Meter=RoundLine
StartAngle=(Rad(0))
RotationAngle=(Rad(360))
LineStart=68
LineLength=80
LineColor=FFAA0033
Solid=1
X=100
Y=100
AntiAlias=1
ToolTipTitle=[MeasureTime4]
ToolTipText=[MeasureName4]
ToolTipIcon=INFO
ToolTipType=1
DynamicVariables=1

[nTime1]
Meter=RoundLine
MeasureName=MeasureTime4
StartAngle=(Rad(270))
RotationAngle=(Rad(360))
LineStart=70
LineLength=78
LineColor=FFAA00FF
Solid=1
X=100
Y=100
AntiAlias=1
ValueRemainder=86400
ToolTipTitle=[MeasureTime4]
ToolTipText=[MeasureName4]
ToolTipIcon=INFO
ToolTipType=1
DynamicVariables=1
2019-10-10_09h15_30.png
ms310

Post by ms310 »

The current iteration. I am not sure this saves any space to display this information. But - I learned many things thanks for Eclectic-Tech, Balala and many others. THANKS!

I will continue to refine this - I don't like how things are aligned - I had to tweak positions a pixel at a time and I feel I am still missing something. The background is also 200x200 but the displayed data is less than that - so I need to do some work there too.
2019-10-10_13h46_06.png
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Ok, now have you got it working as intended so far?