It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:53 am

WXData Location issues

General topics related to Rainmeter.
xenium

WXData Location issues

Post by xenium »

WXData Location from JSmorley no longer works.
Are there any problems with the weather.com feed ?

Thanks
jsmorley
Developer

Re: WXData Location issues

Post by jsmorley »

xenium wrote: October 1st, 2019, 3:59 pm WXData Location from JSmorley no longer works.
Are there any problems with the weather.com feed ?

Thanks
wxdata is currently down. We can only wait...
xenium

Post by xenium »

jsmorley wrote: October 1st, 2019, 4:04 pm wxdata is currently down. We can only wait...
OK,thanks.
Youkai1977

Post by Youkai1977 »

That the page is currently only down?
I found that here. And if my poor English skills do not quite leave me, WXDATA WEATHER.COM wants to pay for it from now on.
Click me -> https://wxdata.com/

My Wetterapp has left me today, too. However, just at the time when I had just installed an update for Windows 10 and my PC had restarted, ZACK, the WetterApp never worked. Of course I first suspected the update for Win10.
- Win11 Pro x64 (23H2 - 22631.3085)
- Rainmeter 4.5.18
- Gigabyte B550i AORUS Pro AX V1.2
- Corsair Venegeance LPX 2x 16GB (32GB) DDR4 3200MHz
- RYZEN 7 5800X
- PowerColor RX570 8GB
- Samsung 980Pro 250GB (NVMe) - Drive C: Windows
- Kingston SNV2S1000G (NVMe) - Drive D: Rainmeter, Skins & Others - Drive D: Games
- NAS Synology DS216j - 2x 1GB HDDs - My Main Backup & Data Storage in my Home-Network
- Mon 1: 24" HP 24f (1920 x 1080 @ 75Hz) - Primary
- Mon 2: 22" Philips 226VL (1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz) - Secondary 1
- Mon 3: 50" Philips 50PUS7304/12 (3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz) - Secondary 2
- Corsair CX 650M Power Supply
- NZXT H210 Case
- ISP Vodafone with 1000/50 Mbit Cable Internet

The absolutly High-End Machine on 2024 ... at least the graphics card :oops: O.O :rofl:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I believe the API for wxdata.com has been a commercial product for some time. The subset of wxdata that weather.com pushes out as XML has been free. I don't have any reason to think it isn't still so, I believe the service is just currently broken. I'm hopeful that it will be straightened out in the next 24 hours or so.

I would think if they were transitioning to a paid-only model for the service from weather.com, the result set wouldn't just be absolutely nothing. It would more likely be something that says "forbidden" or perhaps "you have to pay now, here is how.." or some such. The fact that nothing is being returned points to a problem in my view.
dfghrngsdkg

Post by dfghrngsdkg »

With no doubt, this is the coordinated works of Green-Terrorist Greta Thunberg and her Illuminati backers, to bring the world to a standstill! With no temperature and weather forecast mankind's life becomes instantly meaningless with millions of people in their undies roaming the streets in despair and crucifyingly freezing to their deaths because they don't know what to dress. This, on purpose created disorder, is orchestrated to lead us straight into the abyss of the promised One-World Government!
coalition-press-briefing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dfghrngsdkg on October 2nd, 2019, 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Youkai1977

Post by Youkai1977 »

I'm hopeful that it will be straightened out in the next 24 hours or so.
I hope that too. Well then your word in God's ear. I do not want to have to look out the window again to see what the weather is like. It's full of stone age ... :lol: :o

@dfghrngsdkg: Pssst, do not tell here the secret plans of our dear Greta. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
- Win11 Pro x64 (23H2 - 22631.3085)
- Rainmeter 4.5.18
- Gigabyte B550i AORUS Pro AX V1.2
- Corsair Venegeance LPX 2x 16GB (32GB) DDR4 3200MHz
- RYZEN 7 5800X
- PowerColor RX570 8GB
- Samsung 980Pro 250GB (NVMe) - Drive C: Windows
- Kingston SNV2S1000G (NVMe) - Drive D: Rainmeter, Skins & Others - Drive D: Games
- NAS Synology DS216j - 2x 1GB HDDs - My Main Backup & Data Storage in my Home-Network
- Mon 1: 24" HP 24f (1920 x 1080 @ 75Hz) - Primary
- Mon 2: 22" Philips 226VL (1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz) - Secondary 1
- Mon 3: 50" Philips 50PUS7304/12 (3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz) - Secondary 2
- Corsair CX 650M Power Supply
- NZXT H210 Case
- ISP Vodafone with 1000/50 Mbit Cable Internet

The absolutly High-End Machine on 2024 ... at least the graphics card :oops: O.O :rofl:
ms310

Post by ms310 »

Caveat - I'm horrible at making skins but learning :)

I have been thinking for a long time about making a weather skin for a site like https://openweathermap.org/city that requires the user to sign up for their own API key.

As long as the skin respects the refresh threshold and provides a popup input dialog for "enter you API code here" the impact to the user could be minimized.

A site like the one above (or something else) might be around for a while. The feed above also has some interesting information tied to the results for the cities like population and timezone which could also be interesting in a weather skin.

Have others thought of releasing skins that require API codes already but determined it is not manageable? Just curious about other people's thoughts on this topic.

** update **

I have a skin working with openweathermap.org with a free account. There are some limitations though - the icon scheme is very different from the standard https://openweathermap.org/weather-conditions so you need to either download their icons or map them to your own. The icon values that are returned are either ##d or ##n such as 04d or 04n to indicate day or night. That's pretty useful for sun/moon icon sets. I will keep searching for other free weather feeds, but for now, this one seems stable. You get 60 pings per minute which are plenty even for debugging.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Even if the wxdata XML output was down for good (which I think it's unlikely, plus we still don't know yet, hence the need to wait) or a fee model would be chosen for the XML part as well (doubtful, since that's a niche that not many use, thus not that much of a financial gain by employing the fee model there), you can always get almost the same data right from the weather.com site (e.g. https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/UKXX0085, where the last part is your location code) - something that is clear when you view the page source in the browser - ... although as far as I see, you'd have to make all unit conversions manually in your skin and also heavily REGEX your way to the data you're interested in (correct me if I'm wrong).

That basically means that even in the worst case scenario, you'll have a similar alternative. Personally, I noticed that AccuWeather or even OpenWeatherMap get the forecast - even the current one - horribly wrong for my location (e.g. claiming it was raining or storms when sunny, that sort of nonsense), so one more reason to keep using weather.com related alternatives.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Youkai1977 wrote: October 1st, 2019, 11:26 pm I hope that too. Well then your word in God's ear. I do not want to have to look out the window again to see what the weather is like. It's full of stone age ...
But it's the best and most reliable way to find it out. Plus doesn't cost nor now, nor in the future. Too bad it can't be implemented into a Rainmeter skin...