It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:28 am

Whenever set Update value to -1 or 1000

General topics related to Rainmeter.
binhchili

Whenever set Update value to -1 or 1000

Post by binhchili »

I'm new in Rainmeter , and when I opened many .ini file I found that some have Update value, another have value 1000. I don't know which one of these value is better for my battery life and which one is appropriate for different kinds of skin. Anyone can help me answer this question ? Thank in advanced.
mak_kawa

Re: Whenever set Update value to -1 or 1000

Post by mak_kawa »

Dependent on your skin logic/intention/structure, etc.

But generally, Update=1000 is default, recommended and does not cause issues in almost all cases.
Update=-1 (=updated only on skin refresh or manual update using !Update bang) is really intentional in specific skin, I think.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Whenever set Update value to -1 or 1000

Post by balala »

binhchili wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 12:55 am I'm new in Rainmeter , and when I opened many .ini file I found that some have Update value, another have value 1000. I don't know which one of these value is better for my battery life and which one is appropriate for different kinds of skin. Anyone can help me answer this question ? Thank in advanced.
The best value for every skin which has to monitor some value which changes over time (temperature, weather condition, CPU load, etc), is the default Update=1000. This means one update per second (1000 milliseconds).
Update=-1, as mak_kawa said, is used in specific skins, which usually are mouse controlled and where the update isn't required. For instance a launcher skin, used to launch programs or open websites can be used so, because they have not to be updated, they making something only when you're hovering the mouse over them or clicking them. In these situations you can use MouseOverAction / MouseLeaveAction / LeftMouseUpAction options or something similar to execute the appropriate actions.
Note that if there is no explicitly set Update option into the [Rainmeter] section, the skin uses the default Update=1000.
You can get some details here: https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/update-guide/ and here: https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/update-with-bangs/