It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:01 pm

Why is the Rainmeter installer digitally signed by "Firebit OU"?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
stripethetiger

Why is the Rainmeter installer digitally signed by "Firebit OU"?

Post by stripethetiger »

Hi there.

I have downloaded the Rainmeter installer from rainmeter.net, the version "4.3 Final Release - r3298". When installing it, the UAC prompt states that the signer is "Firebit OU".

There are very few results when searching for this, and pretty much nothing when adding rainmeter to the search term. The only thing I can find are references to a Brazilian Bitcoin Exchange.

I may be paranoid, but it seems a little odd. Does anyone know what Firebit OU actually is? Cheers.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Why is the Rainmeter installer digitally signed by "Firebit OU"?

Post by jsmorley »

stripethetiger wrote: August 19th, 2019, 1:10 pm Hi there.

I have downloaded the Rainmeter installer from rainmeter.net, the version "4.3 Final Release - r3298". When installing it, the UAC prompt states that the signer is "Firebit OU".

There are very few results when searching for this, and pretty much nothing when adding rainmeter to the search term. The only thing I can find are references to a Brazilian Bitcoin Exchange.

I may be paranoid, but it seems a little odd. Does anyone know what Firebit OU actually is? Cheers.
It is a corporate name used by the Rainmeter developer who gets the digital certificate for us. They require that some company name be involved. It's perfectly fine.
stripethetiger

Re: Why is the Rainmeter installer digitally signed by "Firebit OU"?

Post by stripethetiger »

jsmorley wrote: August 19th, 2019, 1:32 pm It is a corporate name used by the Rainmeter developer who gets the digital certificate for us. They require that some company name be involved. It's perfectly fine.
Makes sense. Thanks for the response!