It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:32 am

Hiding an image when a drive is disconnected

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
sl23

Re: Hiding an image when a drive is disconnected

Post by sl23 »

Thank you for explaining and solving my Refresh image problem! I didn't realise those two couldn't work together. This DynamicVariables thing is befuddling me too! :???: :lol: I just don't get where it's supposed to be used and where not. I find the manual is hard to understand sometimes. It's like it's missing certain things, like assumptions are often made that you know this or that. Mainly how to use a certain line of code. It's placement in a skins code.

Sorry I don't mean to sound harsh at all, just trying to explain. :oops:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:45 pm I created this file, extracted it, edited it's content, then zipped it. I'm sure I saw somewhere that .rmskin files are just zipped files.
So please could you tell me why this doesn't work?
To make sure the package isn't corrupted by viruses or anything else.
If you modify anyway a skin installer, it won't work anymore. Take care of this. If you want to modify it, you have to modify the content of the config within your Skins folder, then have to create the installer once again.
sl23 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:45 pm And why there's no choice to add Resources or Addons? These things are a part of many skins and the skin code allows for this. Seems strange you can use these folders but have to change everything if you then decide to share it?!
Because there is no needed a such choice. Both the @Resources and the Addons (usually contained into the @Resoruces itself) folder are included into the package if it is created properly.
Believe me, nothing is left out.
sl23 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:45 pm The packager did NOT add these.
To be honest, I doubt...
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Ah right, fair enough! Safety first :D

But I didn't get these folders added, hence my need to edit them. Is this a skin issue? The icons and addon used to eject drives are all working as they should.

What do you doubt...? :confused: :D
sl23

Post by sl23 »

I just noticed the bottom part of your post
balala wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:23 pm The problem this time is that the Image meter doesn't support the AutoScale option, which belongs to the String meter. Unfortunately to get the values scaled, you have to add some Calc measures for all of the measures used into the ToolTipText option.
Interested? It's not easy, but definitely can be done.
I just noticed this! I thought you'd solved it. That's ok I'll look at other ways to use the info. Thanks anyway :thumbup:
sl23

Post by sl23 »

I see the reason why the skin didn't add those folders. I chose a folder and navigated to Skins/RM/Sidebar.
When I use the option to use skins contained in RM which I didn't want, then everything gets added.
Sometimes you only want or need to add one skin, and the option is there for this, so I think it would be good to also add the Resource folder and the Addons folder too.
What do you think?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:55 pm This DynamicVariables thing is befuddling me too! :???: :lol: I just don't get where it's supposed to be used and where not.
First here are some details: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/variables/#DynamicVariables
Note that you have to set on the dynamic variables, whenever you want to work with variables which are changing dynamically while the skin is loaded (through !SetVariable bangs) or with section variables.
!SetOption doesn't require setting the dynamic variables on, because when this bang sets a new option to a meter or measure, it sets on the dynamic variables for one update cycle.
If you keep working with Rainmeter, after a while you'll get enough experience to know where to set them.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Here's my complete suite created using the Skin Packager.
For me it's all about function. I've had all the bling, bling stuff and it got boring. Minimalism is better as it isn't something that gets boring, it just is what it is.
Sidebar_2.rmskin
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
sl23

Post by sl23 »

balala wrote: August 13th, 2019, 8:18 pm First here are some details: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/variables/#DynamicVariables
Note that you have to set on the dynamic variables, whenever you want to work with variables which are changing dynamically while the skin is loaded (through !SetVariable bangs) or with section variables.
Yeah I've read that about three times lol, Still doesn't make sense! :oops:
it sets on the dynamic variables for one update cycle.
Sorry, I don't understand what that means. You mean it turns on DV for one cycle?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 8:12 pm I see the reason why the skin didn't add those folders. I chose a folder and navigated to Skins/RM/Sidebar.
Where? When you create a skin installer, the only thing you have to choose from a dropdown menu, is the config within the Skins folder. there is no need to choose a folder, a file or whatever.
sl23 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 8:12 pm Sometimes you only want or need to add one skin, and the option is there for this,
Where (again)? There is not possible to select a skin, a config must be selected. It's true the appropriate button is called Add skin, but it adds a config with all of its content, including the @Resources folder.
sl23 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 8:12 pm I think it would be good to also add the Resource folder and the Addons folder too.
I still believe it's not needed. Everything contained into the loaded config is included, everything else isn't.

How are you creating the skin installers? The process is described in detail here: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/distributing-skins/
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sl23 wrote: August 13th, 2019, 8:24 pm You mean it turns on DV for one cycle?
Yes, but there is no need to worry about it. It is done automatically. For plain users important is that you don't have to set dynamic variables on when want to set something with a !SetOption bang, but have on the meters or measures where you want to use a variable set through a !SetVariable bang.