It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:11 pm

[SOLVED] Toggle meter that is on ANOTHER skin

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
nmdelrio

[SOLVED] Toggle meter that is on ANOTHER skin

Post by nmdelrio »

I am trying to toggle/hide/show a meter on ANOTHER skin.

I tried...

Code: Select all

[!ToggleMeter "AnotherSkinName\ConfigName.ini\" "MeterToToggle"]

[!ToggleMeter "module-CPU\CPU.ini" "Temperature"]
Also tried...

[!ToggleMeter "Path\AnotherSkinName\ConfigName.ini\" "MeterToToggle"]

[!ToggleMeter "C:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\module-CPU\CPU.ini" "Temperature"]
Both did not work.

I get an error in Log...

!ToggleMeter: Skin "Temperature" not found.
What is wrong with my syntax? Or, can't a meter in another skin be accessed from a different skin? Or is there another command for what I am trying to do?
Last edited by nmdelrio on October 17th, 2020, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: NEED HELP: Toggle meter that is on ANOTHER skin

Post by balala »

nmdelrio wrote: June 13th, 2019, 4:58 am What is wrong with my syntax? Or, can't a meter in another skin be accessed from a different skin? Or is there another command for what I am trying to do?
It can be, but the first parameter of a !ToggleMeter bang is always the name of the meter. The name of the config, if needed, is the second parameter. Note that you don't have to add the name of the .ini file, but the name of the folder (config). For example in the [!ToggleMeter "C:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\module-CPU\CPU.ini" "Temperature"] bang, the name of the .ini file is CPU.ini, but its config is module-CPU and this is what you have to add. This bang correctly is [!ToggleMeter "Temperature" "module-CPU"].
Config is the name of the folder in which the .ini file is placed, STARTING FROM THE SKINS FOLDER. Details: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/#Config.
nmdelrio

[SOLVED] Re: NEED HELP: Toggle meter that is on ANOTHER skin

Post by nmdelrio »

balala wrote: June 13th, 2019, 5:39 am It can be, but the first parameter of a !ToggleMeter bang is always the name of the meter. The name of the config, if needed, is the second parameter. Note that you don't have to add the name of the .ini file, but the name of the folder (config). For example in the [!ToggleMeter "C:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\module-CPU\CPU.ini" "Temperature"] bang, the name of the .ini file is CPU.ini, but its config is module-CPU and this is what you have to add. This bang correctly is [!ToggleMeter "Temperature" "module-CPU"].
Config is the name of the folder in which the .ini file is placed, STARTING FROM THE SKINS FOLDER. Details: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/#Config.
Thank you very much, Balala. :great:

I was tunnel-visioned by the order of the filename path i.e., C:\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\module-CPU\CPU.ini......(Temperature meter), banging my brain trying to get it right.

Thanks also for the link on configs.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [SOLVED] Re: NEED HELP: Toggle meter that is on ANOTHER skin

Post by balala »

Note that since from a config only one single skin can be loaded at any moment, referring to the skin with its config name, is completely enough. Appling a bang to any section of another skin than the current one requires to specify the config you'd like to apply the bang to. If there are more skins in the specified config, there could be error messages, depending on which skin is loaded at a given moment. One might have certain meter, while another might not and if this second one is loaded and you apply a bang from another skin referring to a non-existent meter in the current skin, this will bring up an error message in the log.
Also note that there are only two bangs which requires to specify the name of the file: !ActivateConfig and !ToggleConfig (I hope I didn't forget any). But even these not related to a meter which has to apply the bang to, but to specify precisely which skin would you like to load from the specified config. And even these bangs are working without specifying the name of the file. In a such case the first skin of the config is loaded.